PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buyer wants built in bed removed after exchange...

Options

Comments

• Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    kaycastle wrote: »
    Its not exactly a big deal..

Exactly, if it was, the buyers would have sorted it in the contract BEFORE exchange and they must have been happy to leave it not simply forgot.

You happy for a 5 year old to sleep on floor?

I say first time buyers have it easier, the seller has to pack and leave completion day by a certain time on top of ensuring everything goes smooth leading up to the point.

First time buyer, in my case, clean, decrote dew days, car load from parents then moved in.
  • NaughtiusMaximus
    Options
    Can't believe how one side this whole thread is :) The buying process is a long and horrible stressful ordeal. They probably forgot to make sure it was part of contract and just remembered now. So I do have sympathy with these buyers who are landing up with a bed they won't use. These buyers are under the same amount of stress as you, where is the empathy in this whole blasted process. I've just finished buying my first house...have spent the first 4 days cleaning it, including poo from all round the toilet.

You can simply reply saying no you can't do that now, or compromise and say you'll remove the bed but can't fix up the floor or anything at the moment.Its not exactly a big deal.

Why should the buyers have to deal with and pay for getting ride of a fitted bed they won't use...bad luck for them they forgot to get it sorted in the contract but try to be sympathetic over why they would want it moved and why in this whole huge process it slipped their mind until now.

You don't honestly believe they 'forgot' do you? Far more likely the buyer knew the seller would likely, and quite rightly, have wanted a higher selling price to cover the time and inconvenience if they'd raised it pre-contract.
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can't believe how one side this whole thread is :) The buying process is a long and horrible stressful ordeal. They probably forgot to make sure it was part of contract and just remembered now. So I do have sympathy with these buyers who are landing up with a bed they won't use. These buyers are under the same amount of stress as you, where is the empathy in this whole blasted process. I've just finished buying my first house...have spent the first 4 days cleaning it, including poo from all round the toilet.

You can simply reply saying no you can't do that now, or compromise and say you'll remove the bed but can't fix up the floor or anything at the moment.Its not exactly a big deal.

Why should the buyers have to deal with and pay for getting ride of a fitted bed they won't use...bad luck for them they forgot to get it sorted in the contract but try to be sympathetic over why they would want it moved and why in this whole huge process it slipped their mind until now.

You sound a little precious and young with this although I'm genuinely sorry you had grubby vendors - you won't think it now but the FTB purchase is more than likely the easiest one you will do. Anyone in the middle of a chain has it far worse. Also the general principle with houses that the fixtures and fittings are part of what is sold as seen applies to everyone. The vendor is at risk here of being accused of removing something they should have left should their buyer once again start to remember things differently at the last minute.

I'm all for a bit of give and take but this one has been left too late.
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    cjdavies wrote: »
    Exactly, if it was, the buyers would have sorted it in the contract BEFORE exchange and they must have been happy to leave it not simply forgot.

You happy for a 5 year old to sleep on floor?

While I concur with the general opinion that the buyers can go whistle if they ask for something like this after exchange, I don't see why a five year old sleeping an a mattress on the floor for a few days is an issue. I spent half my childhood sleeping on mattresses on the floor.
  • steve_jones
    Options
    I can see there are a lot of replies supporting the vendor but to me I don't see it as too much of an issue, especially if contracts have been exchanged. Repairing the walls with fixings for a bed won't be too much hassle.

Buying a house is just as stressful as selling, especially if the buyer is doing this for the first time. They may have limited money to remove a bed they don't want and if they feel it was agreed verbally then maybe disappointed.

I am currently in the process of selling my property, I have told the viewers so far that the custom made bed in the spare room and flat screen TV's mounted to the wall (2) will be staying if the buyer wants them, if not I will remove them, plaster the holes and re-paint the wall. I have also said I will clean the carpets and the place will be left spotless. Yes this may take me a day to sort out but wouldn't the house buying and selling process be a lot better if people got on and did what they said???

A friend of mine bought a house and said to the vendor that he would like the wall separating the kitchen and dining room removed as part of the sale, the vendor agreed verbally and nothing was written into the contract. The day of the move came and true to his word the vendor had removed the wall and my friend was happy.

If nothing is written in the contract then you have nothing legally to worry about but simply ask your wife if she remembers agreeing, this is not something someone would forget. If she did then I would advise sticking to your word like a decent person would. If she is adamant she didn't then the choice is yours, personally I would still do what the buyer is asking as to me its not a big deal.
  • Narkynewt
    Options
    Just ignore the request! You have exchanged now so they are contractually obliged to purchase your property.
  • mynameisclare
    Options
    Why should the buyers have to deal with and pay for getting ride of a fitted bed they won't use...

Our house came with a load of fitted cupboards in one of the bedrooms that were hideous and we had no intention of using. It would never have occurred to me to make the sellers get rid of them though - it was clearly our responsibility, just the same as if you don't like the wallpaper etc. It doesn't cost any money* to rip the stuff out and take it to the tip yourself.

(*except for paying to fix the hole in the wall that my partner managed to make in the process!)
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options

If nothing is written in the contract then you have nothing legally to worry about but simply ask your wife if she remembers agreeing, this is not something someone would forget. If she did then I would advise sticking to your word like a decent person would. If she is adamant she didn't then the choice is yours,.......

This paragraph nails it.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • ashleypride
    Options
    Why should the buyers have to deal with and pay for getting ride of a fitted bed they won't use....

If they didn't want to deal with it, they shouldn't have purchased the house. They should have selected a house with exactly the fittings, features and wallpaper they would be happy with.
  • dirtycredit
    Options
    A friend of mine bought a house and said to the vendor that he would like the wall separating the kitchen and dining room removed as part of the sale, the vendor agreed verbally and nothing was written into the contract. The day of the move came and true to his word the vendor had removed the wall and my friend was happy.

Incredible!!! I'd like to buy your house but could you just renovate it first? :rotfl: The vendor must have been desperate to agree to this!
    LBM-November 2019 - Total Debt £28,000/now £1500 1 more payment left!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure