PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Why won't our house sell?

Comments

• peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Mrsburg wrote: »
    Thanks for feedback about the double drive. We will get them to post a picture showing it clearly.

Yes the double drive is within our property and in theory could be changed to gravel, etc but would not be in keeping with the whole estate so not sure people would want to do it. It's an option though!! We're quite lucky that we have a double drive + a nice front garden

I don't think the box planters helps, it makes the 'drive' look like it's part of the street rather that part of your house. Could you move them to the sides of the parking spaces to make them actually look like part of the front of your house? At the moment they just look like communal spaces.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 July 2018 at 8:26PM
    Mrsburg wrote: »
    Thanks for feedback about the double drive. We will get them to post a picture showing it clearly.

Yes the double drive is within our property and in theory could be changed to gravel, etc but would not be in keeping with the whole estate so not sure people would want to do it. It's an option though!! We're quite lucky that we have a double drive + a nice front garden so no real need to change it.

That is not a double driveway that is allocated parking. A driveway goes up to the house so that you can unload your shopping outside the garage or your front door. The description of a double drive way implies that the drive going down the side of the house is two cars wide and that you could possibly put in a double garage. Your allocated parking spaces are no better than on street parking where you have a small front garden which is exactly what it looks like.

Someone who wants a house with a drive is not going to buy yours because it doesn't have one. You have allocated parking. It can be either in front of the house or somewhere else but it will be on your deeds. It is not a driveway.
  • Cakeguts
    The description says large rear garden It isn't large it is smaller than normal because the plot is very narrow simply because there is no driveway. The driveways on modern houses go down the side and you can put in a garage. There is nowhere with your house that you can have a garage. You can't even stop other people from parking in your allocated parking spaces.

The houses that fetch the best prices have driveways that go up to to and down the side of the house so that you can put in a garage. Ones without driveways like yours are much much less desirable.
  • Cakeguts
    It is in a rough area and it is leasehold. Leasehold houses are extremely difficult to sell and do not fetch as much as the same type of house being freehold.

It is the first time I have ever heard a house on the edge of a rough council estate described as being in a very desirable area. Desirable to who?

It going to have to be cheap if you want to sell it because they area will be at the bottom of everyone's buying areas. It doesn't have a drive that you can put a gate on only allocated parking and it is leasehold.

Did you tell the estate agent that it was leasehold when they valued it?
  • Cakeguts
    I don't think a leasehold house with allocated parking has gone up £30k from new in under 5 years in an undesirable area in the Manchester area. New houses have a premium on them so when you paid £160 for it the second hand price then for a new leasehold house was probably around £150k. You are now asking offers in excess of £190k that is an increase of £40k and I just can't see it not in that area and leasehold. It isn't near a station so although Manchester town centre is not far away most people will want a station. Most people don't want new leasehold houses. I would say that it is extremely overpriced. If houses are selling and yours isn't then it is going to be the price. Leasehold knocks about £10k off the price compared to freehold. So unless you can get £200k for a freehold 3 bed semi with no drive and a small back garden on the edge of a rough area yours is overpriced.
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Mrsburg, 3 weeks is not long. You are brave to post a link to your property here because you are at the mercy of an army of armchair housedoctors, many of whom probably never even owned their own home.

You are looking for support but following your link, you will just get a stream of "declutter" and "cut the grass" posts. Do you honestly think a trimmed lawn would make the difference between a sale or not?

The secret is pricing, not necessarily being the cheapest but value for money, ie ready to move into. A good agent is worth their money in marketing your property to their audience. Most unfortunately are shiny suited chancers who didn't sit at the back of the class at school and think "one day I will be an estate agent".

Present your house in the nicest way you can, price it competitively and keep pushing your agent.

Next time you sell, do your due diligence on the agent before you appoint them.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • Cakeguts
    This is cheaper on the same road and another 3 bed semi also not sold. https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-64872595.html Been on the market since April.

4 bed with garage same development cheaper and sold. https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-72879323.html

You are not going to sell a 3 bed for more than a 4 bed.

Here you go. This is what 3 bed semis sell for in your area. https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-73796882.html the house was added in June and is sold. These are also leasehold so are a direct match apart from the fact that they do have driveways and are bit nearer the rough part of your area.
  • diggingdude
    diggingdude Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I'm amazed to be the first to mention this isn't Manchester it's Salford. Having studied and briefly worked in Salford you couldn't pay me to buy a leasehold there. Many areas of Salford are rough as f*** and you're not a million miles away from the rough area

The house is nice but when you read leased one tends to think not a chance. Not sure there is much you can do other than wait and hope
    An answer isn't spam just because you don't like it......
  • Cakeguts
    I'm amazed to be the first to mention this isn't Manchester it's Salford. Having studied and briefly worked in Salford you couldn't pay me to buy a leasehold there. Many areas of Salford are rough as f*** and you're not a million miles away from the rough area

The house is nice but when you read leased one tends to think not a chance. Not sure there is much you can do other than wait and hope

I am always amazed by the fact that people buy new houses in the most awful areas and are then surprised that they can't sell them. It is almost as if they didn't look to see what the surrounding area was like and just got fixated on the new house they were buying. On streetview close to this one you can see a really rough area quite close by. How you could miss that when you were buying the house in the first place I find difficult to comprehend.
  • diggingdude
    diggingdude Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Only 3 miles to Strangeways :) It's a shame as the house itself is nice
    An answer isn't spam just because you don't like it......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure