Apple Pay in Asda/Lidl

Comments

• Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 July 2018 at 10:24PM
    SuperHan wrote: »
    It doesn!!!8217;t circumvent anything - ApplePay requires two step authorisation (unlike contactless which is just one step), so ApplePay is at least as secure as chip and pin (or in some cases significantly more secure, I have an 8 digit password with letters numbers and punctuation to use ApplePay, much more secure than a 4 digit PIN). It!!!8217;s this additional security that means some retailers have lifted the £30 contactless limit for mobile payments. Hopefully more will follow suit!

Not true: Apple Pay is a contactless payment. To verify that try using Apple Pay on a terminal which is not contactless. The major security feature of contactless is that there is a maximum spend beyond which a PIN has to be entered. What Apple Pay does is make every transaction a PIN transaction but that doesn't alter the FACT that Apple Pay is contactless and should therefore be subject to the contactless security features. Take a look at the till receipt when you've used Apple Pay: I'd guess probably quite rightly that it says the payment is Contactless and no PIN has been used and that serves to underline what I just said. If it dispenses with the security feature then the security feature is circumvented. Simple.

Unlike you I don't use a PIN, I use my fingerprint.

Anyway back to the topic, personally I have never experienced a minimum spend when using Apple Pay at any retailer at all, not even my local Premier shop!
  • knack92
    knack92 Posts: 464 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Anthorn wrote: »
    Not true: Apple Pay is a contactless payment. To verify that try using Apple Pay on a terminal which is not contactless. The major security feature of contactless is that there is a maximum spend beyond which a PIN has to be entered. What Apple Pay does is make every transaction a PIN transaction but that doesn't alter the FACT that Apple Pay is contactless and should therefore be subject to the contactless security features. Take a look at the till receipt when you've used Apple Pay: I'd guess probably quite rightly that it says the payment is Contactless and no PIN has been used and that serves to underline what I just said. If it dispenses with the security feature then the security feature is circumvented. Simple.

Unlike you I don't use a PIN, I use my fingerprint.

Anyway back to the topic, personally I have never experienced a minimum spend when using Apple Pay at any retailer at all, not even my local Premier shop!

The £30 limit on contactless is in place because there is no security features. Apple Pay has a security feature in the form of passcode/biometrics so the £30 limit is not required.

I was in France recently and using contactless over a certain amount prompted for the pin, but you didn’t have to insert the card like you have to here. What do you think of this?
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    knack92 wrote: »
    The £30 limit on contactless is in place because there is no security features. Apple Pay has a security feature in the form of passcode/biometrics so the £30 limit is not required.

I was in France recently and using contactless over a certain amount prompted for the pin, but you didn’t have to insert the card like you have to here. What do you think of this?

Looking at Apple’s website here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht207435 in some countries you have to enter a PIN or sign a receipt over certain amounts.

I don’t know how it would be set up technically but seeing as you have to enter a PIN every X amount of contactless transactions within the UK if the system was able to distinguish between a physical card and a digitised wallet (I assume it’s possible) then it’d save time having to dig your bit of plastic out when using Apple Pay & it prompts for a random security check?
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    In my case at least not true: I use Apple Pay in all three of those stores for anything even for amounts of no more than a fiver. On the rare occasions I shop in Tesco I always use PayQwik.

In fact I could go further and recognise that the £30 lower limit stated in the quoted post should actually be the upper limit allowed for contactless payments. I do know that some retailers allow mobile contactless payments beyond the contactless upper limit but that circumvents the security of contactless.

Probably the only problem I've found is when my Amex card is linked to Apple Pay and the store doesn't accept Amex contactless, i.e. Wilko.

You woefully missed the point here ..

There is no LOWER limit - with either apple pay or traditional contactless.

There is an UPPER limit of £30 for traditional contactless, that has been set aside by many retailers due to the added security of biometrics or passcode on the Apple device.

I personally think Apple pay is awesome, to the tune that i dont even carry my wallet much anymore.
    Just whip out my phone and wave it at the till (with my thumb on the thumbprint reader) - even for the Saturday big shop :D
  • Anthorn
    AndyPix wrote: »
    You woefully missed the point here ..

There is no LOWER limit - with either apple pay or traditional contactless.

There is an UPPER limit of £30 for traditional contactless, that has been set aside by many retailers due to the added security of biometrics or passcode on the Apple device.

I personally think Apple pay is awesome, to the tune that i dont even carry my wallet much anymore.
    Just whip out my phone and wave it at the till (with my thumb on the thumbprint reader) - even for the Saturday big shop :D

You posted almost exactly what I posted which means that you agree with me. It's not me who is saying there is a lower limit, it's the OP. Perhaps if you read through this thread it might be constructive.

My other main point is that Apple Pay circumvents the contactless upper limit which is £30 when I last looked. That upper contactless limit is there for a purpose and that purpose is to limit loss. Those who agree with that upper limit being circumvented probably deserve to be defrauded.

Oh yes I use Apple Pay too. But I don't leave my wallet at home because there are those times when Apple Pay doesn't work and that as far as I can see is due to retailer error. In short, always have a back-up.
  • knack92
    knack92 Posts: 464 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    20aday wrote: »
    Looking at Apple’s website here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht207435 in some countries you have to enter a PIN or sign a receipt over certain amounts.

I don’t know how it would be set up technically but seeing as you have to enter a PIN every X amount of contactless transactions within the UK if the system was able to distinguish between a physical card and a digitised wallet (I assume it’s possible) then it’d save time having to dig your bit of plastic out when using Apple Pay & it prompts for a random security check?

Sorry I could have been more clear. I was taking about using a contactless card, allowing you to make a payment over the limit by contactless and then authorising by card pin.

I was interested to know what Anthorn thought of this because if they think it’s secure then there’s no reason why they shouldn’t think Apple Pay is secure. If Anthorn doesn’t think it’s secure then why? It’s contactless+pin instead of chip+pin.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    My other main point is that Apple Pay circumvents the contactless upper limit which is £30 when I last looked. That upper contactless limit is there for a purpose and that purpose is to limit loss. Those who agree with that upper limit being circumvented probably deserve to be defrauded.

The £30 for contactless on cards is to prevent the bank having to pay out for fraud; it isn't for the consumers benefit because banks will refund any contactless payments reported as fraudulent without question.

Apple Pay (and similar) doesn't "circumvent" the limit it simply has a different limit because it operates in a different way (security wise).
    On my phone i have to unlock it (with my fingerprint) to make a contactless payment of ANY amount. This means it is more secure than even chip and pin because no matter what methods they use they can not make a record of my fingerprint (while making a payment) to fraudulently make payments using my phone.
    Compared to chip and pin where it's possible to see someones pin, steal their card and use it.
  • venomx
    venomx Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    The following are a list of UK retailers that will accept Apple Pay transactions over £30.

Clothes and fashion :
    Burberry
    Dune
    New Look
    Uniqlo

Fuel :
    BP
    Shell

Grocery :
    Aldi
    Co-op
    Home Bargains
    Lidl
    Marks & Spencer
    Morrisons
    Sainsbury!!!8217;s
    Waitrose

Restaurants :
    Bill!!!8217;s
    Burger & Lobster
    Caf! Rouge
    Costa
    McDonald!!!8217;s
    Nando!!!8217;s
    Pizza Express
    Pizza Hut
    Pret a Manger
    Starbucks
    TGI Fridays
    Wagamamas
    Wetherspoons

Other Retailers :
    Apple Stores
    Argos
    Boots
    Cabs
    Halfords
    Harvey Nichols
    Hotel Chocolat
    Ikea
    Liberty
    Moto Services
    Nike
    Specsavers
    Superdrug
    Transport for London
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    @venom.x

Excellent list, I need to make a +30 purchase soon.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2015 Zoe i nav -67-131 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • Anthorn
    knack92 wrote: »
    Sorry I could have been more clear. I was taking about using a contactless card, allowing you to make a payment over the limit by contactless and then authorising by card pin.

I was interested to know what Anthorn thought of this because if they think it’s secure then there’s no reason why they shouldn’t think Apple Pay is secure. If Anthorn doesn’t think it’s secure then why? It’s contactless+pin instead of chip+pin.

If you attempt to make a contactless transaction over the upper limit the terminal asks for the PIN. In that case it's not a contactless transaction but a chip and PIN transaction. There is thus no such thing as contactless+PIN. It's either contactless or chip n pin. As has been exhaustively explained Apple Pay circumvents that.

It's only as secure as the card and PIN or in the case of contactless the card itself or in the case of mobile payments the mobile device.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure