PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buyer wants built in bed removed after exchange...

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,618 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    csnann wrote: »
    WOMen have a tendency to remember what they wanted to hear, rather than what was actually said to them!

Fixed that for you
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • No, we couldn't afford to move at the lower price, they magically found the money the next day after saying we didn't help and should have asked friends and family for the money (to help them afford our house?!) :)
  • Lovely people, sounds a lot like the people who purchased our house from us . . . they made all sorts of demands prior to exchange and were told that we weren't going to meet them (they wanted "allowances" for this, that and the other, demands that became more and more absurd). We were quite ruthless in denying them everything as by then we didn't actually care if the sale went through because our circumstances had changed and it didn't matter if we sold the house or not.

The final thing with them was after completion over a non-functional burglar alarm. During a viewing the husband had asked about it and was told that it wasn't working, it was old as the hills and no, it probably could not be serviced/repaired.

We took it down. It wasn't working and the husband had been so awful to us with demands and such-like so we removed it. Once we'd completed and moved out, they were straight onto their solicitor about the alarm, the same day - we hadn't even reached our next home. My solicitor rang me about it, I said that we'd removed it as it was broken and no good. I also said that it wasn't part of the contract as it had not been mentioned on the fixtures and fittings form, to which my solicitor said, "Well then, that's tough luck on them!" and I am sure she took great delight in advising the buyer's solicitor about that (they'd made her life hell as well). End of story, Heard no more about it.

Actually, thinking about it, there was one final email from them, asking us if we knew what a particular pipe was for (it ran through the back of an unused fireplace). I decided to ignore that as it was no longer my problem, even though I knew what the pipe did. I'd love to know if they decided to cut through it as it was a water pipe so that would have been interesting, being as they weren't DIY-ers, they got people in to do things for them . . .
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Fixed that for you
    Nice try, but:
    [STRIKE]WOMen[/STRIKE] People have a tendency to remember what they wanted to hear, rather than what was actually said to them!
  • Can't believe how one side this whole thread is :) The buying process is a long and horrible stressful ordeal. They probably forgot to make sure it was part of contract and just remembered now. So I do have sympathy with these buyers who are landing up with a bed they won't use. These buyers are under the same amount of stress as you, where is the empathy in this whole blasted process. I've just finished buying my first house...have spent the first 4 days cleaning it, including poo from all round the toilet.

You can simply reply saying no you can't do that now, or compromise and say you'll remove the bed but can't fix up the floor or anything at the moment.Its not exactly a big deal.

Why should the buyers have to deal with and pay for getting ride of a fitted bed they won't use...bad luck for them they forgot to get it sorted in the contract but try to be sympathetic over why they would want it moved and why in this whole huge process it slipped their mind until now.
  • davilown
    davilown Posts: 2,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    kaycastle wrote: »
    Can't believe how one side this whole thread is :) The buying process is a long and horrible stressful ordeal. They probably forgot to make sure it was part of contract and just remembered now. So I do have sympathy with these buyers who are landing up with a bed they won't use. These buyers are under the same amount of stress as you, where is the empathy in this whole blasted process. I've just finished buying my first house...have spent the first 4 days cleaning it, including poo from all round the toilet.

You can simply reply saying no you can't do that now, or compromise and say you'll remove the bed but can't fix up the floor or anything at the moment.Its not exactly a big deal.

Why should the buyers have to deal with and pay for getting ride of a fitted bed they won't use...bad luck for them they forgot to get it sorted in the contract but try to be sympathetic over why they would want it moved and why in this whole huge process it slipped their mind until now.
    Exactly that - it's not in the contract so unlucky. If they cannot be bother or dedicate enough time to ensure that they get what they want why on earth should the op do it?

Op, no all the way down the line and ignore any further requests unless it's part of the contract. It's their house now and they've agreed legally to buy it.
    30th June 2021 completely debt free…. Downsized, reduced working hours and living the dream.
  • sulphate
    sulphate Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    Can't believe how one side this whole thread is :) The buying process is a long and horrible stressful ordeal. They probably forgot to make sure it was part of contract and just remembered now. So I do have sympathy with these buyers who are landing up with a bed they won't use. These buyers are under the same amount of stress as you, where is the empathy in this whole blasted process. I've just finished buying my first house...have spent the first 4 days cleaning it, including poo from all round the toilet.

Honestly if all you have to worry about is cleaning after buying your first house then you've got off fairly lightly!

If the OP is buying as well as selling they are under a lot more stress than their buyers if they are FTBers. Buying and selling at the same time is 100000x more stressful than buying as FTBers. I just did it, believe me.

Why should the OP's 5 year old have to sleep on the floor for 4 nights because their buyers are disorganised?
  • I'd like to think we have been as sympathetic as possible, but they weren't when they caused us to lose our first house because they were delaying everything, they weren't sympathetic when they tried to take us for another £20k or when they told us we needed to pay for a man in a van to collect their fridge freezer as they wanted us to leave ours, or when a few days before completion they want me to remove my child's bed and leave her sleeping on the floor...
  • Oh and they weren't sympathetic when they said that any damage to the carpet after removing the bed would be paid for by us!
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Can't believe how one side this whole thread is :) The buying process is a long and horrible stressful ordeal. They probably forgot to make sure it was part of contract and just remembered now. So I do have sympathy with these buyers who are landing up with a bed they won't use.

I don't have any sympathy at all - it's part of the fixtures and fittings. It's like saying oh b**ox, I meant to say I don't like the fireplace, can you remove it and make good the wall. Or I forgot to say I don't like the carpets, can you take them all up and make good the floor. Madness.

I might say to my vendor I forgot to say I wanted her wardrobes or that I'd prefer grass to her decking, would she take it up and replace.

It's hardly a light shade they're not keen on, is it.

This is all AFTER exchange. Totally unacceptable. You don't just 'forget' these things, they are part of the sale/property.

I'd tell them to whistle. And I don't think I'm being mean at all! I'm generally a very considerate decent buyer/seller. Actually my bloody dishwasher has decided to break and I've offered my buyer £120 which I think is more than fair. I could easily have kept my mouth shut, but I play VERY fair.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport