Cats and their owners!

Comments

• firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Laz123 wrote: »
    Can I say as a cat lover thanks very much for providing a lavatory for them.

The cheek..............
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I like cats, but it is blatantly wrong that they are allowed to roam freely. Any other pet has to be controlled and the owner would be prosecuted otherwise. There is no logic to the legal position it has just become tolerated.

The more serious issue than unwanted poo is of course wildlife.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Callie22 wrote: »
    Are you sure it's cats? It would be very unusual for a cat to crap and pee on a table and chairs. I have a problem with crap in my garden in 'odd' places and I have a cat, the issue is with foxes who seem to go everywhere ...

Badgers are worse; they always seem to have diahorrea.

I live in the country, so the only cats I have to cope with are my own, but there are plenty of other creatures that defecate; in fact I'm not aware of any that don't!

When I lived in the city, the dry soil under our privet hedges was where the cats used to go, so there wasn't a huge problem in the open garden. Creating something similar is probably the best bet, while not creating huge artificial litter trays full of nice, easy to scratch in wood chips is another.

The cats are always going to be there. In tiny town gardens one might keep them out at reasonable cost and with some effort, but like slugs, snails and vine weevils they're a fact of life for most.
  • Wassa123
    Wassa123 Posts: 393 Forumite
    How do they get into your garden? You can put anti cat spike stripes on the fences to stop them coming in that way.
  • davemorton
    davemorton Posts: 29,066
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    I always find it amusing when people bash cats/their owners. Would they prefer mice running all over the place. The amount of rodents that cats in the UK must kill every year, we would be overrun without cats. The balance of nature.
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 7 August 2017 at 12:01PM
    We have 2 cats, or rather we had 2 cats, one was recently poisoned by some evil ****, she was just 1 year old, the most affectionate and trusting cat i've ever known (im not a cat lover), her trusting nature almost certainly contributed to her death.

I'm currently making it known to my neighbourhood that i'm offering a £500 reward for information leading to a successful prosecution. I'm also buying a drone and i'm going to find the swine that laid out poison for the local cats.

In total a small cost compared to the £2000 vets bill.

She took 4 days to die slowly and painfully, her internal organs gradually shutting down, eventually having to be put down.

But that's not the end...... Our other cat has lost her sister and cannot go outside anymore..... Has anyone ever tried to keep a cat indoors? We can't open doors, we can't open windows in the middle of summer, one of us has to hold the cat whilst the other brings in the shopping, we've had to buy a GPS tracker, she's putting on weight through lack of excercise and at risk of health complications.

All because some grumpy retired !!!!!! with his pathetic Petunia's, would rather poison peoples family pets than simply hose them down with a bit of water.

There are cats out there who are proper little swines, but cats like ours do not deserve to die for what another cat has done.

Better hope I never catch the person responsible...........
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    davemorton wrote: »
    I always find it amusing when people bash cats/their owners. Would they prefer mice running all over the place. The amount of rodents that cats in the UK must kill every year, we would be overrun without cats. The balance of nature.

Cats roaming about the place is precisely the opposite to the balance of nature though!
    yes they keep rodents down which is convenient for us, but some of those rodents are native wildlife and what about the lizards, frogs etc?
    At the end of the day every single other pet animal or livestock has to be controlled by its owner and the law will come down heavily if not. I'm not someone who likes to bash cats or their owners, but there is clearly an issue here!
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 7 August 2017 at 1:52PM
    andrewf75 wrote: »
    Cats roaming about the place is precisely the opposite to the balance of nature though!
    yes they keep rodents down which is convenient for us, but some of those rodents are native wildlife and what about the lizards, frogs etc?
    At the end of the day every single other pet animal or livestock has to be controlled by its owner and the law will come down heavily if not. I'm not someone who likes to bash cats or their owners, but there is clearly an issue here!

Neither is the building of homes and urban areas, bins full of rubbish attracting rats and seaguls, we screwed the "balance of nature" a long time ago.

Once upon a time badgers had predators, but we hunted the bears and wolves to extinction and then decided to present badgers as an endangered species (even though they are not), leaving a huge over population of them, which then leave overpopulated nest sites, roam onto busy roads and cause accidents (my old car was written off by one).

Birds, we attracted them in with bird feeders, when they shouldn't even be in urban areas. That nature guy on TV caught so much flak for saying it, but it's 100% true.

Rats, my CCTV has recorded dozens of them, when most of my neighbours don't think there are any. Our cats caught in excess of 15 in the first 12 months they were here and this is considered a well kept neighbourhood.

WE screwed the "balance of nature" and in response we've used pesticides and domestic pets to help keep things in check, cats were originally bred to catch/kill pests, long before they became family pets.

Trouble is we went through a decade or two where only one adult in a family would go to work (the man), the result was a nation of dog owners or cat haters, that generation is now in retirement, their dogs have died and they think it's OK to kill cats.
    These days in most families both adults work, the only people who can have dogs are either on the dole, or upper-middle class, the rest of us can only really have pets that look after themselves, primarily cats
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • davetrousers
    davetrousers Posts: 5,862
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Alpha-male pee.

First thing in the morning.

Watch out for your neighbours.

• david1951
    david1951 Posts: 431
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Shouldn't be too difficult for a cat owner to ensure that the cat does their business inside their own garden. My neighbour has a patch of soft soil (no flowers etc) just outside the back door, and their cat can't walk past without using it. I like cats and am happy for them to come into our garden. If you know the owner I'm sure they would be amenable to doing something similar.

Anyone who actually poisons a cat (or any other animal) deserves jail time. I hope you catch the person responsible.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure