A simple request to all.

If I may beg your indulgence for a moment, it is important when answering threads/giving advice that it is done so with some knowledge or a reference to where you have seen the advice.

We seem to be having a problem where people, (lets be generous) are giving poor or misinformed advice and for some seeking answers this can cause problems.
Remember it is often better to say nothing than to say something that is wrong.

There are a number of very well informed people who daily give advice to others, it would be a great shame if others were driven away by ill informed or lets be honest trolls.

Thank you, and remember if you see a post that you think shouldn't be there use the "report" button.

Venison.

Comments

• BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 9 April 2018 at 9:39PM
    I agree with all you've said, and thank you for doing your best to remedy the ongoing situation on here.

I don't agree with locking threads though when it stops the (genuine) OP coming back to update or ask for more advice. Yes they can start a new thread, but they shouldn't have to, and they may feel reluctant to do so if they think the same may happen again (their thread getting disrupted and/ or it being locked again).

The real issue here is the forum team not acting to stop the troll, despite numerous reports from genuine posters. I can't understand it, and I doubt others can either.

Definitely not a dig at you venison. I expect you're as frustrated as the rest of us.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I agree with all you've said, and thank you for doing your best to remedy the ongoing situation on here.

The real issue here is the forum team not acting to stop the troll, despite numerous reports from genuine posters. I can't understand it, and I doubt others can either.

Definitely not a dig at you venison. I expect you're as frustrated as the rest of us.

100% agree
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,932 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    venison wrote: »
    If I may beg your indulgence for a moment, it is important when answering threads/giving advice that it is done so with some knowledge or a reference to where you have seen the advice.

We seem to be having a problem where people, (lets be generous) are giving poor or misinformed advice and for some seeking answers this can cause problems.
    Remember it is often better to say nothing than to say something that is wrong.

There are a number of very well informed people who daily give advice to others, it would be a great shame if others were driven away by ill informed or lets be honest trolls.

Thank you, and remember if you see a post that you think shouldn't be there use the "report" button.

Venison.
    I also agree with everything you've said and i thank you for what you do.

However, the troll has constantly been reported by many people yet they are still posting on the forum and causing disruption day in, day out. Posts from regular genuine posters who regularly give advice are being deleted left right and centre, yet the troll is still allowed to post.

I agree also that it's not your fault but those that are able to do something about it are choosing to ignore it. I will never understand it... we will start to lose those that give great regular advice if this isn't stopped.
  • I agree with all you've said, and thank you for doing your best to remedy the ongoing situation on here.

I don't agree with locking threads though when it stops the (genuine) OP coming back to update or ask for more advice. Yes they can start a new thread, but they shouldn't have to, and they may feel reluctant to do so if they think the same may happen again (their thread getting disrupted and/ or it being locked again).

Locking threads is and I hope always will be a last resort.
    And you are correct it has been a frustrating couple of weeks on here, but you might be surprised at how fast it could go back to "service as usual".
  • bspm1
    bspm1 Posts: 332 Forumite
    And you are correct it has been a frustrating couple of weeks on here, but you might be surprised at how fast it could go back to "service as usual".
    Danday wrote: »
    Maybe he could deny that the children are his? He was paying on the basis that he thought they were now he is not too sure.

That's how my stepson got out of paying for his two children. Mum didn't want to go down the DNA route so lost out - this was 15 years ago.

Oh really?
  • bspm1
    I have been spending time going through all of the relevant questions and answers on here and came across a reply from someone called alice holt.
    She mentions as do others that if you get a benefit for a disability you can get somebody to claim carers allowance for helping out.
    Does this allowance apply to husband and wife if they live together?
    How do you prove what the help is and more importantly the number of hours if you live with then day and night?
    I've looked on the CAB website and it says that the help cannot contradict the reason you claim the disability benefits for.
    I would have thought that living together like this would automatically raise questions by the DWP. Then end up with the disability benefit being disputed. How do you solve that problem?
    If you want to work it out, go onto the Turn2us website and enter enhanced for both components of PIP and highest AA award. Put that we each claim CA for each other but don't receive any money and then look at the answer.

Just thought I would pop all the contradictory posts from posters who are being dealt with swiftly Venison.
  • John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    The moderation is truly appalling on this site nowadays. Trolls are given free rein, yet factual, polite responses telling people, for example, not to commit fraud, are taken down.

There is apparently a policy of not modding posts encouraging illegal activity, but posts suggesting that people don!!!8217;t will disappear while the ones suggesting criminality will remain.
  • ^If you spot a post that you consider breaks the rules then please press the report button.

MSE does not have moderators only board guides who are here to try and make things run smoothly, I'll admit its been an uphill struggle very recently but we have limited powers.

Personally I have been in touch with the powers that be and I'm hoping as I have already said that it will be business as usual ASAP.
  • bspm1
    ^If you spot a post that you consider breaks the rules then please press the report button.

MSE does not have moderators only board guides who are here to try and make things run smoothly, I'll admit its been an uphill struggle very recently but we have limited powers.

Personally I have been in touch with the powers that be and I'm hoping as I have already said that it will be business as usual ASAP.

I can only speak for myself when I say I HAVE reported many posts by a particular poster that I believe are only posted to cause trouble and give wrong advice.

Haven't seen any of them disappear, I have noticed many well written posts go though. Posts that question the aforementioned posters lies.
  • John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    bspm1 wrote: »
    I can only speak for myself when I say I HAVE reported many posts by a particular poster that I believe are only posted to cause trouble and give wrong advice.

Haven't seen any of them disappear, I have noticed many well written posts go though. Posts that question the aforementioned posters lies.
    The strange claim that there is no moderation is clearly not true. Posts are removed, threads are locked, and as you say, it is often the factual posts deleted and the troll comments that remain.

It’s strange. I was explicitly told when ai complained a while back that demonstrably untrue posts were fine, as it was not the moderators’ job to arbitrate.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure