PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    To be blunt "you're probably not short of a bob or two" :)
    MrAPJI wrote: »
    .... flying over a day or two before my date of completion to support me. I'm not sure what he thinks will happen lol, but over the years I've learnt 'to do as I'm told' ...
    There's a "packing service" that you can buy - and it's relatively cheap (that's ME saying that, so believe it!).

All you do is: nothing (OK, it's good to maybe box up your treasures/personals and irreplaceables for yourself, just in case) ... but they turn up and take instructions.... and you stand and watch.

My sibling ordered this service and I saw it.... they plodded on and on and on .... about lunch time my sibling and I went out for a walk to the local town and had a pasty lunch and wander round, then wandered back ....

It's magic. It just happens. And it's THE way to move if you're not short of a bob or two!

Do it!
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Tend to agree with you PN, M&S readyfood used to be fairly reliable and noticably better than other SMs but IMHO the quality isn't as good now despite them being more expensive. I used to like their moussaka as a treat on a Friday night after work sometimes, but the last time I had it they had definitely changed something and not for the better. I was also fairly disappointed with their smoked haddock fishcakes, I've had better and much cheaper from elsewhere. As for the "new and improved" southern fried chicken portions had to complain about those..... :mad:

I don't each much by way of ready meals but they have their place at times but I do want something half way edible especially if I'm paying a "premium" price. :cool:
  • PasturesNew
    edited 7 March 2018 at 8:57PM
    Farway wrote: »

Just spotted a post by PN on another thread, boiled fruit cake. maybe after my weekend weigh in I will investigate further

A lovely older lady in Cornwall, who bakes ... a lot. Without fuss, or posh/modern ingredients, recipes from 50-100 years ago mostly. Old ones from her old books, from her friends' old books, from her old friends' mother's handwritten recipes.

Not a person doing it "to get famous/make money", but simply likes to bake cakes (especially fruit cakes) who bakes a lot of simple old fashioned recipes of all sorts... mostly Cornish, mostly baking, but other stuff too.

Not a smoothie in sight, no kale, no chia seeds and no avocados :)

Something for everybody who just likes a good honest old fashioned bit of food :)

https://www.facebook.com/Recipes-from-a-Cornish-Kitchen-207309386110463

If you despise the very existence of Facebook and wish it'd die ... then she posts stuff on her blog.

http://www.recipesfromacornishkitchen.blogspot.co.uk/
  • caronc
    Lovely blog thanks PN:)
  • PasturesNew
    Re Cornish Kitchen

Let's be honest.... am I ever going to gather all those ingredients, mix and blend, then pour stuff into a tin .... and bake for 1-2 hours ... just to get a cake? Then have to eat it all? By myself?

No. I'll pop into L1dl/4ldi or Poundland with £1 and see what that buys .... but I DO like to look at the photos

I often plan to bake a cake, my mum's boiled fruit cake, a recipe she was given in the 70s by the ladies at work and it was also the last cake she ever made (she wasn't ever a baker or cook, growing up we'd mostly make buns from packet mixes) .... but planning to do something and getting round to it are mutually exclusive :)
  • caronc wrote: »
    I definitely think a lot of M&S food is not as good as it once was these days!

Wouldnt surprise me - as at least some of their clothes leave an awful lot to be desired these days. Thinking now of a pair of slippers recently bought from them that fell apart after literally 10 days of wear. I bought the replacement pair online - from a foreign company via Amazon (Dutch one I seem to recall - ie not one of the "cheapie" countries). I doubt I'll buy anything from M & S ever again (which leaves me wondering where my knickers are supposed to come from in future - with what was my default shop off the menu).
  • A lovely older lady in Cornwall, who bakes ... a lot. Without fuss, or posh/modern ingredients, recipes from 50-100 years ago mostly. Old ones from her old books, from her friends' old books, from her old friends' mother's handwritten recipes.

Not a person doing it "to get famous/make money", but simply likes to bake cakes (especially fruit cakes) who bakes a lot of simple old fashioned recipes of all sorts... mostly Cornish, mostly baking, but other stuff too.

Not a smoothie in sight, no kale, no chia seeds and no avocados :)

Something for everybody who just likes a good honest old fashioned bit of food :)

https://www.facebook.com/Recipes-from-a-Cornish-Kitchen-207309386110463

If you despise the very existence of Facebook and wish it'd die ... then she posts stuff on her blog.

http://www.recipesfromacornishkitchen.blogspot.co.uk/

LOL at the comments re kale, chia seeds and avocados - of which I have the last two in currently Pastures:rotfl:.

Don't anybody tell my mother re recipes for Cornish cakes - particularly saffron cakes. She'll be on the case...:rotfl: - my case (ie to get me to make her some).
  • BucksLady wrote: »
    PN, I think the brother-in-law wishes to give 'emotional support' to AP :). It is going to be so difficult for him to leave the place which holds so many special memories xx

Indeed:T

I'm pretty cynical - but yep...I'm not agreeing with Pastures on that one.

Good friends do do support.

When I moved here to Wales the husband of my best friend drove me over to Wales and then (to my surprise) ended up staying a couple of days to help me "settle in" - complete with taking loads of photos of the house back for my best friend to have a look at (as she was/is too ill to have come over in the car with us).

So he helped me unpack (errr...whoops...cue for some embarrassment - as he helped me unpack my books - ahem:rotfl:considering what some of them are about) and I gave him a whistlestop tour of my new area.

Basically - he did this because they had decided this, knowing I'm a woman on my own and without a car. Also they knew I wasn't moving by choice - as it really was way beyond time to move to a detached house and the terrace one I had was getting more and more run-down (as I'd always known it was just a starter house to me) and the area I was living in was starting to "go down". The heavy pollution (loads of cars for instance) in the area was starting to affect my health. Cue for moving to a cheaper part of the country.
    I wouldnt have done so if I'd been able to afford the houses I had always had in mind in the nicer outskirts of my city - but, as I couldnt, then I had to move.

I suspect my friends had a better idea than I did too that it would start off by feeling like rather more than just "moving to a different area in the country". There was an element too of them making sure they didn't lose touch/knew exactly where I live - in case the son of theirs I went out with for some time did get divorced (as they thought he probably eventually would - and they were right). I know it would "make their day" if we got back together again:rotfl:(unlikely!).

Those same friends had turned up on my doorstep unexpectedly the day I'd moved into my starter house MANY years before then - complete with buckets and scrubbing brushes:rotfl::D

So - yep....good friends are there to support at times like this.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 March 2018 at 10:13AM
    I've used a packing service - though I still felt I had to sort out the minutiae of cupboards and drawers which to me is the biggest pain. I needed to pare down my belongings and sort things into keep, throw or give away. Plus pineapple didn't want strange men rifling through her undies :D so even if stuff was still in drawers, it was all organised and bagged. Also they wrapped every single thing in a ton of brown paper - even pots and pans - and at the other end I was surrounded by a sea of cardboard boxes and paper. They did take back emptied boxes but I couldn't unpack as fast as they brought it in.
    As for cooking for one, until I was on E7 with hiked day time electricity rates, I used to bake a lot - yes even just for little old me. So cakes, biscuits, bread even....A sponge only takes half an hour or less in the oven. To me the flavour is worth it and l love my food (yes that's code for greedy!). I still do meals from scratch. I would rather have an egg sandwich or a beans on toast snack than have a ready meal. Mostly it is quick simple food but yesterday I pushed the boat out and cooked a roast pork joint with crispy crackling and I had that with plain old potatoes and spring greens flavoured with 5 spice powder. I think I might have today's offering with apples 'baked' on the stove. I already ate ALL the crackling. Sigh.....
  • caronc
    Good morning everyone,
    Good friends are invaluable, I'm fortunate to have a few:)
    Sunny but very cold and icy here this morning, no snow thankfully.
    I'm still resembling a "scabby hamster" but it's definitely calming down:D
    Tesco are coming on later with supplies for the birthday meal at the weekend so the fridge will be loaded again.
    Foodwise I've had the usual toast & fruit for breakfast, lunch will be remaining stir fry from yesterday with LO roast veg from last night added. I'm not sure about tonight, possibly corned beef hash or beef stew & dumplings from the freezer.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback