Travel insurance for mid-trip flights

Comments

• richardw wrote: »
    What sort of exclusion phrases do these policies have written in them?

'...to or from the policy holder's country of residence...' in bold, in all the relevant parts of the policy.

Happy to hear of policies without this!
  • NervyBuyer wrote: »
    How would you make a claim when booking as part of a package? Is that covered by insurance, or the package operator themselves?

I have my own rolling, annual insurance through my bank but my employer also provides travel insurance by default which covers leisure travel as well.

If it's a package them it's down to the tour operator to sort it out any cancelled flights but they're not responsible for missed excursions etc. because of flight disruption, unless they were booked as part of the package.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 November 2017 at 5:44PM
    NervyBuyer wrote: »
    '...to or from the policy holder's country of residence...'..

That's about the trip starting point.

Where does it say excursions during the trip are excluded?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 November 2017 at 5:48PM
    Which bank is the policy from?

Some of my trips include multiple flights with several days or weeks in between. I wouldn't regard any of them as excursions, just part of the journey.
    That's about the trip starting point.

Where does it say excursions during the trip are excluded?

This is in the sections covering Cancellation/curtailment and Travel Delay. It is specified that cover is only provided for the original journey out of the country of residence (and curtailment to the country of residence).

There are no other sections of the policies which cover for the policy holder not taking (part of) the booked trip.
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If it's a package them it's down to the tour operator to sort it out any cancelled flights but they're not responsible for missed excursions etc. because of flight disruption, unless they were booked as part of the package.

That's what I was inferring when I mean "package"
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Amex card covers you for upto £200 for flight delays, they also have a 24 hour global assistance to help.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • richardw
    NervyBuyer wrote: »
    This is in the sections covering Cancellation/curtailment and Travel Delay. It is specified that cover is only provided for the original journey out of the country of residence (and curtailment to the country of residence).....

Yes that's cover for cancellation/curtailment at the start of the trip. When the trip has started successfully then this cover no longer applies.

What does your policy say regarding cover for delays/cancellations to other flights as part of the trip?
    Yes that's cover for cancellation/curtailment at the start of the trip. When the trip has started successfully then this cover no longer applies.

What does your policy say regarding cover for delays/cancellations to other flights as part of the trip?

The same thing - all delay, disruption, cancellation sections stipulate 'country of residence' or even 'United Kingdom'. There is no separate section with different conditions for post-departure travel (apart from return home).
  • richardw
    I tend to do as blindman suggests in post nr 10, plan the trip and de-risk it and have a bit of a back up plan. I never book the last flight of the day etc. This kind of planning can keep your trip on schedule if things do go wrong.
    If you want better insurance look at backpacker type policies as Caz3121 suggests.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure