We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Keeping hens and ducks chat.

Comments

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    My wee Penny has just died in my arms :(

Went out with their mid morning treat of corn, she was just huddled on her own out in the cold so lifted her to put her in the coop, and the neck went down, she flapped a bit - and died :(

Ive left her in the coop, in one nesting box as I cant face leaving her out in the cold - stupid I know but thats how I am :( Just rang DH and he will bury her when he comes in from work

Have to admit Im pretty choked, she wasnt even a year old :(
  • ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    Sorry to hear that Suki, they really do capture our hearts.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • Dizzy_Imp
    Dizzy_Imp Posts: 2,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Ours didn't moult much this year at all, I think it's due to being so mild maybe?

What breed is your largest?

We've got a Buff Orpington who is a big girl!

Vanessa is a Bluebell. Very pretty but not as friendly as some of the other girls. I've seen Orpington hens and a very impressive cockerel and they're huge. Vanessa isn't on that scale, but she's a fair size, although mostly fluff.
    suki1964 wrote: »
    My wee Penny has just died in my arms :(

:( Oh no! So sad. Sending hugs x
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Sending big ((((HUGS)))) to you too Suki. It really gets to me when that happens and I feel sad for days afterwards. She was so young too. Sometimes we never know why they go like that even though we look for the answers.

Edwink x
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • So sorry to hear of your loss, big hugs xx
  • edwink
    ali-t wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that Suki, they really do capture our hearts.

What a lovely thing to say - I love that.

Edwink x
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • edwink
    10 eggs from 26 hens yesterday and NO DUCK EGGS YET!!!!

Weather here has cheered up a little but a little rain is forecast for this afternoon. My girls are still dust bathing in either of our 2 greenhouses. We allow them to until we have plants growing in them of course. The ground is way to clumpy and wet for them to dust bathe outside.

How is everyone else getting on and of course their hens and ducks too.

Looking forward to the warmer weather for them. My favourite past time is to sit and watch them spread their wings whilst sunbathing. Also watching them dust bathing and flicking soil all over the place.

Edwink x
  • Hello everyone..

Our girls seem suddenly to have remembered that they are indeed hens, and not chickens, and have started laying again, thank goodness! I hate buying eggs! We have 8 girls now, and I want more :o I've been in touch with our local large producer (not quite battery, but not free range either) and they'll be getting rid of some in July. I'm now on the re homing list :) The last girls we had from there came looking a bit straggly but are still going strong, and some of the best layers we have. And we paid such a vast sum of money for them... 50p each! :rotfl:
    LBM 1st Feb 2015 £18182 to go :o
    my diary: time to step up to the plate. SPC#079
  • We have chicks!! Up to this morning we have 7, one arrived overnight Friday then all over the weekend and still one during the night. We're leaving the eggs in the incubator until later in the week as some people have had them hatch up to day 25 so we're giving them all the best chance.

The new hens are laying. I worked out, based on the amount of eggs we use, say 12 a week and circa £2 for free range (depending on where you are) then it'd take 17 weeks for the girls to pay for themselves at 3 a day. Based on them having a home for life now, I think that's good going. It doesn't take in to account the layers pellets but I'm going to work that out when I know how much we're going through, during March.

We have cream legbars, buff orpington and blacktails so far. Happy days!
  • edwink
    We have chicks!! Up to this morning we have 7, one arrived overnight Friday then all over the weekend and still one during the night. We're leaving the eggs in the incubator until later in the week as some people have had them hatch up to day 25 so we're giving them all the best chance.

Aww that's fantastic. All new and very fluffy I bet. Now all you have to do is find out the sex of them. Normally ratio is 60% boys and 40% girls.

How lovely.

Edwink x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback