Carers allowance

Options
Hi
My 16 yr old daughter gets DLA and is going over to PIP. I get carers allowance for her. She is going to get a part time job will that affect her PIP and my carers allowance? I currently get housing benefit and council tax benefit what impact will my daughter's part time job have on these?
Thanks

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Treehorn wrote: »
    Hi
    My 16 yr old daughter gets DLA and is going over to PIP. I get carers allowance for her. She is going to get a part time job will that affect her PIP and my carers allowance? I currently get housing benefit and council tax benefit what impact will my daughter's part time job have on these?
    Thanks
    No, it won't affect them. The only thing she could have problems with is if the work she does contradicts the reasons she's claiming the DLA/PIP.
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As with all benefits, this change of circumstances needs to be reported to DWP and they will confirm affect based on what you tell them.

Normally, from what I understand DWP welcomes someone with a disability taking up work, so a part time job should not make a difference.

But DWP still need to be told about this.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Treehorn wrote: »
    Hi
    Thanks
    As your daughter is only 16 she should still be in full time education. Is she going to continue with this is September?
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    As your daughter is only 16 she should still be in full time education. Is she going to continue with this is September?

That does depend on where she lives. Only England forces children to stay in education until 18. The rest of the UK is based around your 16th birthday.

OP if your daughter claims DLA/PIP and works at least 16hrs per week she may be able to claim working tax credits also.
  • Treehorn
    Treehorn Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    No she will be doing p/t Saturday work.
  • Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    That does depend on where she lives. Only England forces children to stay in education until 18. The rest of the UK is based around your 16th birthday.

OP if your daughter claims DLA/PIP and works at least 16hrs per week she may be able to claim working tax credits also.

Even in England you don't have to be in full time education at 16 as you can be doing an apprenticeship or working whilst undertaking some studying as well. In reality, you can be working and doing no learning at all as there is no legislation in place to compel a young person to do this or to stop an employer from employing them.
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    Even in England you don't have to be in full time education at 16 as you can be doing an apprenticeship or working whilst undertaking some studying as well. In reality, you can be working and doing no learning at all as there is no legislation in place to compel a young person to do this or to stop an employer from employing them.

I had just said education, I didn't mention full time.
  • Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I had just said education, I didn't mention full time.

Apologies, I assumed that was what you meant because many people do think that.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure