Letter from debt collectors whilst applying for dro

Hello, I’m just finishing my dro application off but I’ve had a letter through the post today saying they are now applying to a court for a warrant of entry (unpaid fuel bill) obviously this has me extremely worried and I don’t know what’s best to do as I should have my dro application done by the end of the week, is it best to contact the company to explain?

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Jake

It's really important you contact your energy supplier as you are now at risk of having a pre payment meter fitted, or if this is not practical, having your supply disconnected. Even if you are having your arrears included in the DRO you will need to pay your on going energy usage, have you been doing that?

Your supplier may be willing to put the arrears on hold while your DRO application is dealt with, but if not you'll need to agree an affordable payment plan if you want to try and avoid further action.

Have you also checked with the organisation you are applying for the DRO through how long the whole process will take? Be aware that some energy companies may insist you have a pre payment meter fitted if you remain their customer after the DRO.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Thanks for the reply,
    The last bill was meant to be paid last week of March but it was £300 more than the previous energy bill which hit us hard as my girlfriend is currently on maternity leave, so our monthly household income has reduced by nearly £1000. This aswell as other debts totalling £9000 overall is why I’ve decided a dro is the best option. I never knew what to do regarding the energy bill as if I paid towards it, then I didn’t want it to look like I was favouring that bill over others therefore putting the dro in danger of being rejected
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi again Jake

Are you being billed monthly or quarterly? If you are being billed quarterly you have to make sure you put money aside each month in advance of receiving the bill, and that can be tricky. You may find it easier to change to a monthly direct debit. Your supplier can work out your average monthly usage and that will make it much easier for you to budget.

In the meantime you will still need to get in touch with your supplier to try and prevent further action, and your DRO intermediary to let them know what is happening.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure