Landline phone

I'll be signing up for broadband when I return to the UK in Jan 2018.

Do I have to have a landline phone? I know I need a line, but what is the advantage of having a landline phone? I'll be having a mobile, so won't that suffice?
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and who weren't so lazy.”

Comments

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You pay rental for the line that carries the service to your property, whether you plug a phone in is up to you. (Some Virgin media connections excepted).
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you use the landline for calls but without having an inclusive calls package, calls cost around £7 to £8 per hour. An inclusive calls package with Unlimited Anytime calls costs around £9 per month.

Inclusive call plans cover calls to UK geographic numbers starting 01 and 02, non-geographic numbers starting 03 and usually also include UK mobile numbers starting 071-075 and 077-079. BT is the only major landline operator to NOT include calls to mobile numbers.
  • mnbvcxz
    mnbvcxz Posts: 378 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    If your broadband stops working its helpful to be able to pick up the phone and see if you have a dial tone. You can also listen for noises indicating a faulty line.

That said the amount of junk calls these days I could well understand leaving it unplugged most of the time.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have a landline phone because I get no mobile phone signal when I am at home inside and for about 5-10 minutes walk after I leave my front door -and I have a mobile phone mast on my roof!

The way I see it; I'm paying for the landline weather or not I use it, if I plug in a phone at least people have a way to contact me if they need to and I don't need to keep my mobile phone plugged in charging all day/night (if I were able to get a reception) and I can also separate people into two categories; one set get my mobile the other get my landline which can be useful at times.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Ian011 wrote: »
    . BT is the only major landline operator to NOT include calls to mobile numbers.

Really?

Plusnet doesn't .... does it?
  • J_B wrote: »
    Really?

Yep, included with all of their call plans:

https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/faqs/broadband-and-phone/#included-calls

EE have 3 tiers of call plans:

Anytime calls to landlines
    - Inclusive calls to UK landlines

Anytime calls to landlines and mobiles
    - 1,500 minutes to call UK mobiles

&

Anytime UK and International calls
    - 1,500 minutes to UK mobiles
    - Calls to landlines in 50 countries
    - 30% discount to the rest of the world landlines
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Yes EE recently changed it. And increased the price for those who want to call mobiles.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    J_B wrote: »
    Really?

All?

It actually says " .... and for UK mobiles (on the Unlimited UK & Mobile and Evening & Weekend UK & Mobile call plans only"

I have 'Talk Anytime" (for £7pcm) which says "All Anytime calls to UK landlines" ... no mention of mobiles and when I go to 'change product' it doesn't offer a mobile call plan at all! :(
  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    There are a few options if you don't want a phone line, such as these:
    https://shop.ee.co.uk/dongles/pay-monthly-mobile-broadband/gallery
  • With Sky, calls to customer service are free from their own landlines; they may be charged from other lines or mobiles (03 numbers).

Calls to 999 will also work during a power failure and the emergency operator will have your exact location immediately available. That could save your life one day.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure