It's kind of fun to do the impossible

Comments

• Sholly
    Sholly Posts: 269 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Fab to see the joint debt really plummet :) good luck for the next few months at chipping away at the debt too x

Thank you Kittenkirst. The joint debt has been hanging around since we bought our house 2 years ago, I'll be really glad to see that one go! And then my spreadsheet is going to have to work overtime for the next year!

xx
  • Sholly
    Hello February!

Joint debt: £2,050...two more payments to go!
    My debt: £17,730.46...12 months to go!

My February pledge: to not spend any money on non-essential items. I spent £466.41 on "stuff" last month - OH's birthday present, signing up for a couple of races, dentist, interview clothes (didn't even get the job, grr!) - I need that money for debt busting!

Sholly xx
  • Sholly
    March means one more payment from the joint debt, and only one payment left :-) There's still my own debt to go, but this one feels like it has been hanging around for ages...well, it's been 3 years really so it has been far too long!

The figures today:

Joint debt £1,025
    My debt £17,272.70
    Total £18,297.70

I didn't updated my diary as much as I have done recently, so I looked back a page and there was a post from 14/03/16. My figures from this time last year were...

Joint: £16,475.68
    My debt: £16,889.76
    Total £33,365.44

That's £15,067.74 gone in a year - that makes me happy and proud in equal measure :)

A year to go and hopefully my own debt will be gone.

Happy debt-slaying.

Sholly x
  • Sholly
    April 2017 has arrived which means that the joint debt has GONE!! I've also made an extra payment to my debt too which brings it down to a round £17k.

Joint debt £0
    My debt £17,000.00
    Total £17,000.00
  • Sholly
    My update is a little late this month, but the debt-busting is still going on...here are the figures:

Total debt £15,890

I'm paying over £1,000 a month now so the figures pass milestones quickly - it feels like it's really going well but I've been really trying to keep an eye on our spending this month - we spent a shocking £267.70 on eating out last month - that's really, really terrible. I've been much stricter this month and will have to be if I am to pay off my debt by March next year. On the plus side, I found out that I will be getting an unexpected bonus this year...just in time for littlies birthday so that's a relief! The money left over will be paid off the debt.

Sholly x
  • Sholly
    I don't mean a bank balance, I get that every morning! I mean, how hard is it to balance between paying off debt and living. For example, we bought our house in early 2014 and it was a wreck - we went back to brick and started again. We did the bulk of the work but ran out of money to finish it properly so we've just been doing little bits now and then. We're sick of having a garden that we can't use so we're trying to fix it up...but spending money causes so much anxiety! I feel like I shouldn't be doing it and I should be paying off debt instead, but if we do the garden we'll be much more inclined to stay home and use it, and it is an eyesore at the moment. But I also think that life is just too short to just stay home and pay off debt all of the time. I'm totally conflicted! Anyway, we're doing all of the garden work ourselves so that will keep costs down and we're trying to be very careful with how much we spend every month.

Debt figure for this month:

£15,729
  • Sholly
    Sholly wrote: »

Debt figure for this month:

£15,729

Note: £991 is coming out of my bank over the next few days, that is why the figure from last month hasn't changed too much! Maybe I should go back to doing my updates just after payday!
  • Sholly
    27/06 update:

New figure £14,729
  • Cream_Tea
    Cream_Tea Posts: 427 Forumite
    Wedding Day Wonder
    Just caught up. That's a very impressive amount to pay off in 12 months. Keep up the amazing work. I'm back on it! Look forward to reading more from your mission.
    CT
    Mortgage [STRIKE]£269,000[/STRIKE] £258,987 / MF date [STRIKE]June'49[/STRIKE] June'49
    Debt £24,990 / Debt Free Est. May'21

Updated 06/05/18
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Great progress there Sholly!

When I have wobble moments of 's*d it! Life's too short!' I try to remind myself if how all the little bits add up and how much freedom we will have in future when the figures are lower :D
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback