eBay - Concert tickets late

Options
Hi,

I hope someone can help with this. I bought weekend festival tickets last Wednesday on eBay. I messaged the seller prior to make sure they could be delivered on time, he said yes. I paid extra and asked if he could send them 9am Guaranteed Delivery so I could set off in the morning. He posted them on Thursday as he said he couldn't leave work to post them Weds - fine.

Friday morning the tickets are still in transit on tracking. the afternoon comes and they still haven't arrived. These were for my boyfriends birthday so I buy another pair on the day.

At the festival checked the tracking and an attempted delivery was made Saturday morning.

Do I have any rights with this? Would I be able to open an eBay dispute? I know it wasn't the sellers fault but I lost £160 on nothing. Can I claim from Royal Mail even though it wasn't loss? As for delays I've just seen that postage can be refunded. Should the seller have to handle this? I'm a bit confused :(

Comments

• ohmillsss
    Options
    * I should clarify the festival started Friday morning and I hoped to leave home by then, thanks!
  • 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't collect them, or accept them if there is another attempt at delivery, then open a not received case with eBay. They should give you your money back.

Don't put any waffle about the dates, and having to buy more tickets in the details part, just write "not received". If the seller doesn't want to refund you, ask ebay to step in and help (escalate the case), this option will be available after a week.

Yes, a bit rubbish the seller will be out of pocket, but it's not your fault, and you shouldn't have to take the hit. Personally I think there's a good chance that he's missed the cut off time for the 9am next day delivery, but posted them anyway.
  • ohmillsss
    Options
    you angel, thank you so much for your help!
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ebay actually use concert tickets that arrive late as being covered under Buyer Protection. I can't find the link now. So you should be covered under a SNAD case. You'd be covered for a refund on all the money you paid for the tickets and postage on Ebay.
  • 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes but to do that the OP would have to go pick up / accept the tickets, what's the point in that?

As long as there isn't proof they have been delivered she will win a not received case, so surely that's easier all round?
  • Pun
    Pun Posts: 740 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    19lottie82 wrote: »
    Don't collect them, or accept them if there is another attempt at delivery, then open a not received case with eBay. They should give you your money back.

Don't put any waffle about the dates, and having to buy more tickets in the details part, just write "not received". If the seller doesn't want to refund you, ask ebay to step in and help (escalate the case), this option will be available after a week.

Yes, a bit rubbish the seller will be out of pocket, but it's not your fault, and you shouldn't have to take the hit. Personally I think there's a good chance that he's missed the cut off time for the 9am next day delivery, but posted them anyway.

If Royal Mail failed to meet the 9am delivery time, the sender (i.e. the seller) is automatically covered for a refund of postage + up to £50 - and possibly more if they'd had the sense to pay a bit extra to insure against late delivery.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Pun wrote: »
    If Royal Mail failed to meet the 9am delivery time, the sender (i.e. the seller) is automatically covered for a refund of postage + up to £50 - and possibly more if they'd had the sense to pay a bit extra to insure against late delivery.

If a special delivery is late then seller can claim back the postage cost element only. Special does have insurance against loss or damage and the 9am service is as you say £50, but in this instance that is not useful to the seller as item is neither lost nor damaged.

Also, as you say, the seller would have needed to pay extra for consequential loss should they wish to claim for the late delivery and loss of money.

http://www.royalmail.com/personal/uk-delivery/special-delivery
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Pun
    Pun Posts: 740 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    If a special delivery is late then seller can claim back the postage cost element only. Special does have insurance against loss or damage and the 9am service is as you say £50, but in this instance that is not useful to the seller as item is neither lost nor damaged.

Also, as you say, the seller would have needed to pay extra for consequential loss should they wish to claim for the late delivery and loss of money.

http://www.royalmail.com/personal/uk-delivery/special-delivery

Many thanks - I stand corrected!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family