Do I have to pay??

Options
We were given work phones 12mth ago so as to record our client visits which is now required by our local council. Basically we beep in and out and it records that we've attended the call and for how long. The other day I dropped the phone, which had a gorilla cover on it which I bought myself to prevent damage, it hit the edge of a rug and landed on a tiled floor and the screen shattered.... argh!! It is still functioning perfectly but for the cracked screen. I've contacted my employer who had said I've to pay £120 to have the phone fixed and this will come from my wages. I don't have that much spare cash and if it was my own personal phone I wouldn't pay that much but I also have insurance should it ever happen. The same phone retails at £40. Can I refuse to pay so much?

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    We were given work phones 12mth ago so as to record our client visits which is now required by our local council. Basically we beep in and out and it records that we've attended the call and for how long. The other day I dropped the phone, which had a gorilla cover on it which I bought myself to prevent damage, it hit the edge of a rug and landed on a tiled floor and the screen shattered.... argh!! It is still functioning perfectly but for the cracked screen. I've contacted my employer who had said I've to pay £120 to have the phone fixed and this will come from my wages. I don't have that much spare cash and if it was my own personal phone I wouldn't pay that much but I also have insurance should it ever happen. The same phone retails at £40. Can I refuse to pay so much?

Yes if the phone isn't worth £120 you can dispute it, but if one retails for £40, couldn't you just buy that and have them put on any software
  • Karrtastrophe
    Options
    That's what I've asked but I've been told no by my employer....?? :/
  • Guest101
    Options
    That's what I've asked but I've been told no by my employer....?? :/

Raise a grievance, it's fairly straight forward, your employer should not profit from this.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

In theory they can only charge you what it actually costs them. However, it may be with custom software etc they are only willing to have their equipment worked on / configured by their approved contractor. That may not be unreasonable and could easily cost £120 when done in a commercial environment.

How long have you worked for this employer and is it really wise to get involved in a dispute over the 80 quid difference?
  • Karrtastrophe
    Options
    I understand what you mean and no I wouldn't risk my job over this but £120 is a hefty amount. We pay so much to work for them already that it seems unfair to be expected to pay for this also. I'd imagine with 500+ staff all with phones their insurance would cover screens? They also change the amount we have to pay on an individual basis... although they will never admit this. A colleague of mine broke hers the same day and was charged £70. I was just after advice.
  • elverson
    elverson Posts: 808 Forumite
    Options
    What does your contract say about it?
  • Guest101
    Options
    I understand what you mean and no I wouldn't risk my job over this but £120 is a hefty amount. We pay so much to work for them already that it seems unfair to be expected to pay for this also. I'd imagine with 500+ staff all with phones their insurance would cover screens? They also change the amount we have to pay on an individual basis... although they will never admit this. A colleague of mine broke hers the same day and was charged £70. I was just after advice.

Huh? Bit confused by that
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I would expect accidental damage to be covered by their insurance, with possibly an excess which they expect staff members to cover.
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Check your contract of employment. Does it mention having to pay for repairs to company supplied equipment?.

When they handed the phones out, did you have to sign anything stating that you will be responsible for loss or damage and that you agree to a hire charge to be deducted from your wages?.

If the answer is 'no' to either of the above, then you can raise a grievance about the illegal deductions from your wages.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Could you not get it repaired privately?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure