No wonder people fly tip!

Before I start- No, I do not condone fly tipping, I think its disgusting.

Son wants to get rid of some trade waste, its mostly furniture but it would be at least twice a month. We are on the border of 2 neighbouring councils. The one we don't live in runs a permit scheme whereby you pay a yearly fee of £200 to use the recycling centre as often as you need.

As we are 35 yards into the next council area he cant use that centre.

The one we come under charges £94 plus vat for the first half ton and a further £94 plus vat for every additional half or part of a ton. No yearly permit available, just pay each time you come.
So with our council it would cost a few thousand a year, next door council £200 a year.

Not my idea of fair.

Comments

• IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    It's a business, your son should have taken these costs into account when doing his business plan.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Can you choose what council to use?
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Maybe son could rent a lock up to use as a business address in the borough of your choosing?
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    you can use any council facilities.

a while back as a business we were given some navy grey paint as a donation (6 x 5lt tins), but never got round to using it and a few weeks back we notice some tins leaking, as they have toxic warnings on the tins we had to dispose of them commercially, contacted local authority and was quoted £320, contacted a neighbouring authority and was quoted £200, so we chose the neighbouring authority and they collected the tines within 48 hrs
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,730 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    IAmWales wrote: »
    It's a business, your son should have taken these costs into account when doing his business plan.

Not sure where the need for that comment comes from but thank you for stating the obvious.

He has taken the cost into account which is how we know about them. However my vent was about the difference in 2 councils a mile apart.
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,730 Forumite
    you can use any council facilities.

a while back as a business we were given some navy grey paint as a donation (6 x 5lt tins), but never got round to using it and a few weeks back we notice some tins leaking, as they have toxic warnings on the tins we had to dispose of them commercially, contacted local authority and was quoted £320, contacted a neighbouring authority and was quoted £200, so we chose the neighbouring authority and they collected the tines within 48 hrs

Unfortunately you can only use the cheaper council recycling centre if you have proof of living in the borough.
  • angryparcel
    swingaloo wrote: »
    Not sure where the need for that comment comes from but thank you for stating the obvious.

He has taken the cost into account which is how we know about them. However my vent was about the difference in 2 councils a mile apart.

why are goods in Tesco a different price to Asda? it is the same thing, they are running a business. also a lot of councils use 3rd party companies to run recycling centres, so all charge different rates
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    I don't get the part about "No wonder people fly tip" a bit of a misleading title when all you are complaining about is the difference between two different councils and their charges and nothing to do with actual flytipping.

I can't see any possible reason within your post that should lead anyone to flytip.

People who flytip are selfish idiots, there us no other possible reason or excuse for it. Sometimes in may be more work and cost to dispose of things properly but that is no excuse.
  • angryparcel
    Fosterdog wrote: »
    I don't get the part about "No wonder people fly tip" a bit of a misleading title when all you are complaining about is the difference between two different councils and their charges and nothing to do with actual flytipping.

I can't see any possible reason within your post that should lead anyone to flytip.

People who flytip are selfish idiots, there us no other possible reason or excuse for it. Sometimes in may be more work and cost to dispose of things properly but that is no excuse.
    Exactly, nothing to do with fly tipping as clearly this is about a business being charged to use a recycling centre which is the same with every council in the UK and like any business they all charge different rates
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    You could pay a disposal company, one that is based elsewhere
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business