Spouse unhappy with bequest to my sister

Options

Comments

• Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    Your wife is going through a really hard time too though, maybe it was just an overreaction in the moment, struggling with the idea that there others you are thinking of besides her, who will feel your loss most keenly.

Hopefully if she sleeps on it she will calm down and realise that it's a good thing you are doing and it won't cause her any hardship.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Whilst I agree it's the OP's money &, theoretically, he can do with it as he wishes, I think it's necessary for him to understand the wife's reaction.

Would the sister blow the money for example?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The sister is trying to get by in an economy that is knackered - doesn't really count as blowing the money unless there's something the OP hasn't mentioned.
    Given the reaction on here sometimes to migrants, suggestions that longstanding Greek residents move elsewhere for a better standard of living does rather beg the question of where to when as a nation we are trying to say "not here."
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Rotan
    Rotan Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Thats a very good point ,
    Need to reflect on that
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 15 June 2017 at 11:48PM
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    The sister is trying to get by in an economy that is knackered - doesn't really count as blowing the money unless there's something the OP hasn't mentioned.
    Given the reaction on here sometimes to migrants, suggestions that longstanding Greek residents move elsewhere for a better standard of living does rather beg the question of where to when as a nation we are trying to say "not here."

I'm not sure what that has to do with the original question?

OP your wife will be in turmoil, trying to deal with what lies ahead, it must be awful for both her and you: but you appear to have plenty of money in the pot and she won't go hungry.

I think it's admirable you want to bequeath some money to your sister, irrespective of where she lives!? Why this is relevant is beyond me.

Do as you want, you are hardly leaving your wife strapped for cash. Your bequest, from a caring brother to his sister, will be very well received both emotionally and financially.

All the best
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Aced2016 wrote: »
    What a lovely man ! Facing this and thinking of others. It's your money and a truly nice thing to do. You sister would really benefit from this, and it's what you want to do so you 100% should.

Yet again sadly money brings out the monster in people ! But you should do what you feel is correct. You will be leaving your wife very comfortable indeed

I agree with this. However the rest of your post is beyond inappropriate.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Initially I wondered if the sister was a sort of hippie, living the good life. However, her closest family, her children are in Greece and she's made her life there.

It's admirable that OP wants to help her and the sum is a small proportion of his estate. I agree that the wife is probably worried herself, but hopefully she will reflect and agree.

My sympathies to you, OP. You're a very kind man.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Profligate
    Profligate Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Rotan

I think it is heart-warming that you wish to leave your sister a sizeable bequest. And understandable too, speaking of loyalty and ties that were forged long before you met your wife.

It is a shame that this plan has caused upset to your wife, perhaps though, you will be able to explore why this decision is so outrageous to her together, and hopefully help her to be more accepting.

It must be a difficult and emotional time for both of you, and I sympathise with you both
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you had your will prepared? Is it held by the solicitor that prepared it?
    If not and the original is in your possession, conceivably your wife could destroy it if she is that set against you leaving the money to your sister, thereby ensuring she receives the whole amount.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • noh
    noh Posts: 5,799 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What assets do you have that you are able to pass to your sister by way of a will?
    I assume the house is held as joint tenants and therefore will automatically become your wife's property. The pension is distributed at the discretion of the trustees usually inline with your expression of wishes. Therefore there must be more assets than you have listed if you are to gift your sister £40k by way of a will.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure