Physically Disabled Student accommodation help

Comments

• Just a thought, but would your son consider a course through the Open University if an appropriate course was available?
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    It's likely in most places to be a lot cheaper to rent a two bedroom flat or house nearby than a single room in halls.

If he's receiving 24 hour care though presumably the overnight carer doesn't need a bed, as they'll be awake, and so a single bed flat/house would do as there'd be a livingroom.

I've just looked at our uni halls costs and the cheapest uncatered single room is only £20 a week less than my privately rented 3 bed house with a garden.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    w06 wrote: »
    It's likely in most places to be a lot cheaper to rent a two bedroom flat or house nearby than a single room in halls.

If he's receiving 24 hour care though presumably the overnight carer doesn't need a bed, as they'll be awake, and so a single bed flat/house would do as there'd be a livingroom.

I've just looked at our uni halls costs and the cheapest uncatered single room is only £20 a week less than my privately rented 3 bed house with a garden.

He'd also be eligible for the two bed housing benefit rate if he lived in his own flat.

Alternatively, if he is based on campus, does he still need the Motability car?
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,336 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    if he is based on campus, does he still need the Motability car?

Presumably he is too disabled to get off campus without it.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    xylophone wrote: »
    Presumably he is too disabled to get off campus without it.

Quite possibly, but would the cost of the car be greater than taxi/ train when needed?
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
  • Loz01
    Loz01 Posts: 1,848 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sorry if someone has said this as I haven't read the replied but wouldn't it be cheaper to rent a small 2 bedroom house than pay for 2 rooms in halls?

Also halls in the first year can be very... loud!!! And a bit of a party zone. Is he aware of that? I lived at home for Uni and travelled in but my friend lived in halls and hated it as it was non stop noise, disruption and music.
  • Polio_Dad
    Polio_Dad Posts: 5 Forumite
    Thanks for all the comments. I appreciate all your suggestions.
    The challenge with renting a house off campus is that my son will need a hoist and disabled accessible bathroom. These are very difficult to find. At least the university will cover the cost of installing the ceiling hoist and have a disabled wet room to use. We are too far from the Uni for him to be able to live at home. We need to keep the car so that we can transport him when he comes home for holidays and the odd weekend. He has to travel in his powered wheelchair.
    My wife has tried to call the disability students helpline but can never get through and it is only open for short periods. We emailed them but have not got a response.
    We will keep trying and will not give up. It has been like this all the way along.
    When he needed a new powered wheelchair we found some charities that helped. When we told the local services about the charities they suddenly managed to get a number of children new wheelchairs from the same charities. The biggest problem is finding those who want to and can assist. There are some amazing charities out there but finding them is the challenge. It is the same with disabled support entitlements. Unless you ask you don't get and if you don't know about what is available no one tells you.
    We have found that my son has been the trail blazer with no one to support us. All very wearing and depressing.
    But we will keep going as there is no other option.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Wouldn't Motability conditions insist that the car is at campus for him,rather than just used when he's at home, otherwise he is denied access when you aren't near him ?
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    teddysmum wrote: »
    Wouldn't Motability conditions insist that the car is at campus for him,rather than just used when he's at home, otherwise he is denied access when you aren't near him ?

In order to protect the Scheme, there are a few rules surrounding who can drive your car.
    • Named drivers should live within five miles of the disabled customer’s address. We will, however, consider requests to include drivers outside of this range where this is essential to support the customer’s mobility needs.
    Copied from this link from mobility themselves

http://www.motability.co.uk/information-for-customers/cars-and-wheelchair-accessible-vehicles-customer-area/your-agreement-named-car-drivers

Seeing as the disabled person will only be coming a few times a years. Not sure they will allow it.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family