Get ready for a Conservative/DUP coalition

Comments

• qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    BigAl94 wrote: »
    homophobic fundamentalists. What could possibly go wrong!

A fair bit, since Scottish Tory leader Ruth Davidson is one of those Lebanese women, and is married to Jennifer Wilson, who may be from here.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • x12yhp
    x12yhp Posts: 801 Forumite
    It has turned into a bit of a crazy circus. I think anyone debating that SF will not find it harder to achieve their aims is a bit short sighted. In the absence of westminister, they have to fight the DUP to achieve them. Now they have to fight both locally and nationally (and, as noted already, they don't actually take their seats).

As far as good for NI - well that depends on how things go. This should be good news for NI. We finally have our majority party with power at a national level. Unfortunately, the nature of NI politics means that our majority party is slightly crazy. So we are left having to hope that the tories give time to the sensible requests and push any crazy stuff (which ultimately won't be real benefit to everyone) to being something for the executive to debate.

From a personal perspective I find the outcome disappointing. I would be an alliance supporter. I make no secret from the fact that I spent my teenage years hiding from the world following a republican attack which caught me at it's core - I find attempts to forgive these sort of events very hard to swallow and thus SF (despite the good done in recent years) very hard to support beyond an issue by issue basis. The DUP have too many ties to similar extremism and I find it hard not to see them as the mirror image of SF. When you throw in things like their LGBT perspective, I find it similarly hard to support them. When I talk with people, they seem somewhat closed to these things - to many they simply do not matter as it is a game of protestants and catholics.

A minor aside is that I don't know that many people appreciate that the SF westminister stance. I know that my in-laws are/were unaware that they did not actually take their seats or take any part in westminister votes/matters. If they are so, then I have to suspect that others are the same.
    Always overestimating...
  • BigAl94
    BigAl94 Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    The one possible positive out of all this is that the DUP will now come under intense scrutiny by the national press who didn't care about them before. So for as long as this alliance lasts (which will only be a few months in my opinion) they will be under the microscope.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Good Friday agreement?

The DUP campaign was also heavily based on not bowing down to the conservatives!
  • CEON44
    CEON44 Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    All the talk is of what DUP will ask for. Their "demands" are expected to be high. But my opinion is they would be better to just pledge support with no conditions. this would serve them better in the long run. As said before, Teresa May has only a very short time, no way can she survive long term. So getting bogged down with DUP wont help anyone. By just pledging support only now the DUP could be then well regarded when the dust has settled and a new PM is in situ.
    I started out with nothing......And still have most of it left:p
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    CEON44 wrote: »

By just pledging support only now the DUP could be then well regarded

I dont think any political party here looks further ahead than the end of their nose.
  • rolo1_2
    rolo1_2 Posts: 509 Forumite
    CEON44 wrote: »
    All the talk is of what DUP will ask for. Their "demands" are expected to be high. But my opinion is they would be better to just pledge support with no conditions. this would serve them better in the long run. As said before, Teresa May has only a very short time, no way can she survive long term. So getting bogged down with DUP wont help anyone. By just pledging support only now the DUP could be then well regarded when the dust has settled and a new PM is in situ.

Dont think politicians think that way unfortunately
  • CEON44
    CEON44 Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Probably right
    I started out with nothing......And still have most of it left:p
  • qwert_yuiop
    BigAl94 wrote: »
    The one possible positive out of all this is that the DUP will now come under intense scrutiny by the national press who didn't care about them before. So for as long as this alliance lasts (which will only be a few months in my opinion) they will be under the microscope.

I suspect it may be even shorter. Another election before the end of the year? It happened in 1974 when there was a similarly inconclusive result.
  • qwert_yuiop
    Cotta wrote: »
    Completely unfair and inaccurate analysis. The DUP on the ground have a track record of getting things done, Simpson is a prime example of this.

Sorry. He's a buffoon

Incidentally I don't always agree with the DUP on social issues but to say they are invisible on the ground is deceptive and suggesting their voters are ignoramuses.

No. As I say, there's an obligation to vote for people you don't really agree with to provide an obstruction to those you really can't stand.

There only are 15,000 free paisleyterians. That, citizens of Northern Ireland, is a stunning 1%, and anecdotally at least, there's a drift away from the sect. These people are grossly over represented in the DUP. A bit like the DUP now keeping Theresa in number 10.

Their wee clergy training school at Laurencetown is gone. Pretty funny cheating scandal there a while back. It's a sin.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport