Get ready for a Conservative/DUP coalition

Comments

• rolo1_2
    rolo1_2 Posts: 509 Forumite
    For once N.Ireland will have some real leverage at Westminster -thats a good thing in my book.
  • Zola.
    Zola. Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    saverbuyer wrote: »
    I honestly can't see how. It has weakened the moderates significantly but if anything SF will be rubbing there hands at the result. They were never going to take their seat. They'll see it as sitting back and letting the DUP face the inevitable massive media scrutiny. It also raises some significant constitutional issues with the DUP holding up a government. The UK government role as honest broker will be called into question.

I think we can look forward to yet another election within 6 months. Great to shine a light on the crazy NI politics though. My social media feeds have been buzzing about homophobia, creationism, womans rights, terrorist endorsement and corruption. English people who were happy to let us mess around in the NI zoo are taking an interest. That can only be good.

Second paragraph - Yes!!

It will be hilarious to see our calibre of !!!!!! politicians getting torn to shreds by labour in westminster for the dinosaur policies.

WHAT A FARCE!!! :rotfl:
  • saverbuyer
    saverbuyer Posts: 2,556 Forumite
    Something like 20 tory MPs come from the LGBT community. I can't see this coalition lasting. Also past experience of the DUP/UDA (Red sky, RHI, Robinson's garden sale, Paisley and the developer Sweeney, NAMA) suggests the "leverage" will be used to feather their own nests.
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    For supposed Christian fundamentalists, dishonesty has been conspicuous.

I'm dreading this. These people are going to make us look ridiculous in the eyes of the English, and probably the world. Come on - when I was a boy, only hot heads voted DUP. Something has gone horribly wrong.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • tommie
    tommie Posts: 380 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    66% of the vote went to DUP/SF alone, approx. 531,000 votes,

what has gone horribly wrong?

It`s called Democracy,

if you don`t like it hand in your passport and jog of to North Korea, Russia or similar
  • chunter
    chunter Posts: 2,001 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We're just getting further and further away from politics. These elections are simply deteriorating into sectarian head counts.
    Pathetic, to be honest.
  • Sugarmummy
    Sugarmummy Posts: 79 Forumite
    At the end of the day, DUP can now request for the post of NI secretary and then direct rule and SF can do nowt about it!! After all they don't want to take up their seats....and they have eliminated all nationalist voice in Westminster!! SF want to prevent brexit/border etc but with no voice in Westminster again there is nothing they can do!! This was a national vote not a NI vote...people on here thinking it was a typical green v orange vote - Majority people voted for those that actually do work for constituencies on a broader level something that our MLAs failed to do!? And for representation within the U.K. Government yet again something that now SF have wiped out!! I really don't understand how SF are calling this a successful vote??
  • qwert_yuiop
    edited 10 June 2017 at 2:27AM
    tommie wrote: »
    66% of the vote went to DUP/SF alone, approx. 531,000 votes,

what has gone horribly wrong?

It`s called Democracy,

if you don`t like it hand in your passport and jog of to North Korea, Russia or similar

What's gone wrong is we all feel obliged to vote for what used to be known as extremists. Resentment of the sinister other appears to be more significant than choosing someone who might actually have a bit of sense or even talent. Yesterday's crop are hardly the kind of intellectual giant who we can feel represent us well on the national or international stage.
    Even worse, is this so pervasive that someone who feels a certain level of despair ( that's me, aye?) is advised to leave? Tolerance, diversity of opinion, democracy - remember those? North Korea, Russia?
  • qwert_yuiop
    Cotta wrote: »
    They're forming a coalition and will be able to bring a positive influence for NI.

They're not taking their seats.
  • qwert_yuiop
    Cotta wrote: »
    Completely unfair and inaccurate analysis. The DUP on the ground have a track record of getting things done, Simpson is a prime example of this. The audit done on Jim Shannon secured his membership of the MP club for as long as he wishes.

It's Doug Beattie who is invisible and at times workshy although I will concede he is a good public speaker.

Incidentally I don't always agree with the DUP on social issues but to say they are invisible on the ground is deceptive and suggesting their voters are ignoramuses.

Is this the same Jim Shannon whose victory speech after the last election consisted of him advising dla claimants that he'd be there for them the next morning? The disabled who are now more numerous than after the First World War? Yea, vote for freeloading, folks. It's that work ethic thang we used to hear about, evidently.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport