My no claims bonus is over 2 years old. Who will insure me?

Options

Comments

• misswoosie
    misswoosie Posts: 72 Forumite
    Options
    Used Adrian Flux when we returned from a 5 yr spell in the USA. We paid about £750 for a car worth £4k. Big excess(£500) for fire and theft but £200 for accidental damage. Most insurers wouldn't touch us and the other ones that woud were closer to £1000. Before we left the UK we had 10 yrs no claims. Not usre what Adrian Flux took into account but the renewal notice said we only had 1 year No claims discount so we didn't gain anything no claims wise but renewal quote was £470. Have changed insurance company more than yearly because we've moved a lot and every time we move, doesn't seem to matter where, the premium seems to go up and it's been cheaper to pay the cancellation fee and go elsewhwere but even so we can't get the premium down much below £400. Just PEx'd the car for £1500 and I feel that we've been over insured for the last 2 years at least as car val' was £4,500 for insurance purposes. Would've been good if we'd had a total loss I suppose.
  • FutureGirl
    FutureGirl Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 14 May 2017 at 12:25PM
    Options
    misswoosie wrote: »
    Used Adrian Flux when we returned from a 5 yr spell in the USA. We paid about £750 for a car worth £4k. Big excess(£500) for fire and theft but £200 for accidental damage. Most insurers wouldn't touch us and the other ones that woud were closer to £1000. Before we left the UK we had 10 yrs no claims. Not usre what Adrian Flux took into account but the renewal notice said we only had 1 year No claims discount so we didn't gain anything no claims wise but renewal quote was £470. Have changed insurance company more than yearly because we've moved a lot and every time we move, doesn't seem to matter where, the premium seems to go up and it's been cheaper to pay the cancellation fee and go elsewhwere but even so we can't get the premium down much below £400. Just PEx'd the car for £1500 and I feel that we've been over insured for the last 2 years at least as car val' was £4,500 for insurance purposes. Would've been good if we'd had a total loss I suppose.

Your insurance doesn't just cover your vehicle. It also covers any third party vehicle damage, and property damage, or injuries to third parties - which can run into the thousands, and even tens/hundreds of thousands if the accident is severe enough. £470.00 is very reasonable when you consider that.

If you had a total loss you wouldn't have to £4500. You would have cost the vehicle value just before the accident. Which is no where near £4,500 given the PEX is £1,500.
  • HarrietB
    HarrietB Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm going to ressurect this thread because I am having a horrible problem with expired NCD. People are complaining about renewals of £550, I can't find one for less than £1,300!! I can't pay that! I have 4 years NCD which is over 3 years old (been a named driver due to money issues) and will be driving a 15 year old EU imported LHD Fiat Punto (although some of these quotes haven't even asked if my car was imported, so it's not the main problem apparently) What should I do?! I am a near-perfect driver, had my lisence over 8 years and never made a claim.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    See if your last insurer would be willing to have you back and honour the old ncd

Otherwise follow the MSE guide to motor insurance (link amongst the quick links at the top of the page) and also try a local broker (not Swinton) and see if they can get an introductory discount
  • Lwa75
    Lwa75 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    same story struggling to find car insurance after a gap of over 2 years without losing 15 years ncb
    Is there any other companies which will carry them over?
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    If it's under 3 years old try co-op as already mentioned in this thread
  • Lwa75
    Lwa75 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Thanks, have had a quote from them but very high, is there any other companies? Or will just have put up with it for a year to keep ncb.
  • angelaaa
    Options
    Found this thread super helpful so wanted to add an update - as of Feb 2018.

Co-op accepts NCD within 3 years of expiry (not beyond) :j

Admiral also accepts within 3 years expiration (again not 3 yrs+) :j

Adrian Flux were initially helpful (told me clearly they didn't have anyone that accepted NCD over 2 years) and then useless. Long story short I learned that my NCD was 2 year 4 months out of date, not the 3 years 4 months I had first thought, so called them back, and they said they took my 8 years (yes 8) NCD into account, but that it hadn't affected the quotation price. I asked why, and they couldn't explain it, the guy (in classic automaton fashion) just kept repeating "...because it's the same price with the NCD" which I pointed out was not an answer, and undermined the very concept of a 'discount'.

Anyway... Admiral were cheaper for me by £66, still not cheap but I think insurance has gone up since I last had a car! :eek:
  • angelinasofie
    Options
    Many raised voices and speaking to the manager has resulted in them giving us a full refund and we are insured until Tuesday. The woman on the other end of the phone was disgusting, she started shouting etc. I will never use that company again.
  • earlsgate
    Options
    my last policy expired feb 2016 and I was worried that I had already been reset to zero due to some very poor advice received this time last year from Saga who said as a named driver my NCD would be maintained. They have admitted as much, as it was of course on tape, but stubbornly would not let me switch on to my wife's car policy to remedy their bad advice.

I was able to remedy the situation, to some extent today, by switching my name to the policy holder on her car as the Coop still do allow 3 years. Obviously switching over between partners on an annual basis is one way of solving the retention of NCD bonus.where one is now a one car two policy situation

the quote from the Coop was an attractive price equal to the other online quotes from the the ones who only allow 2 years break. the Coop also informed me that I would be getting a £50 food voucher one the policy was in its second month so that takes care of the xmas shopping!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback