It's kind of fun to do the impossible

Comments

• liltdiddylilt
    liltdiddylilt Posts: 4,117
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Cream_Tea wrote: »
    How's everything going sholly? Long time no post! I hope your chipping away at the debt nicely. I miss you achieving these massive things and generally inspiring me to do more. Come back to MFW diary! :D

CT

Ditto!! Missing you and your posts!! Come back soon :) xx
    Virtual Pot #25 £0.00/£350.00
    A black belt only covers 2 inches of your a$$ - You have to cover the rest yourself - Royce Gracie
  • Sholly
    Sholly Posts: 269
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    How's everything going sholly? Long time no post! I hope your chipping away at the debt nicely. I miss you achieving these massive things and generally inspiring me to do more. Come back to MFW diary! :D

CT
    Ditto!! Missing you and your posts!! Come back soon :) xx

I didn't see these posts - you two are too lovely! How are you both? I've missed my MSE pals!

God my debt level is so high! My car was on its absolute last legs (stupid Minis - our love affair is over!) - it packed in on the main motorway through the City Centre - 2 fire engines and the police came - argh! Awful! Anyway, the result was that I had to buy a new car - and I didn't go for a cheap run around - stupid really but I wanted something that wasn't just going to break down and cost a fortune in repairs so I got a year old car instead. The downside is the £14k price tag. I got £3.5k for mine so that wasn't bad considering!

So debt levels now (all 0% credit cards):

Joint: £16,475.68
    My debt: £16,889.76

Total £33,365.44

The figure doesn't scare me, I have a plan :) the joint debt will be gone by December this year then mine will be gone by August next year (although I've said this before haha)

What has been happening with you guys?

Sx
  • Sholly
    Forumite
    edited 10 August 2016 at 12:55PM
    Hi there! It's been about 5 months since I updated my diary and it's been a difficult few months (long stories!), but we've continued to chip away at the debt. Admittedly, we took the decision to still spend some of our hard-earned money to make sure that we enjoy life at the same time - debt-busting is a long hard slog. We bought a tent and have had loads of nights away in it - I'm officially a camping addict! Once we'd had the initial outlay, it doesn't cost much to have a few nights away but really feels like we've had a break. We've also had a short holiday in Amsterdam but didn't spend anywhere near as much as we thought we would. We've also spent some money trying to sort the garden out - after 2 years of living with a jungle, it feels good that soon we'll be able to spend some time out there - probably just in time for winter !!!!!!!

To the figures:

My signature tells me that my debt will be gone by June 2016 - clearly that is out of the window!!

These are the figures the last time that I updated by diary and the updated numbers from today:

Joint: was: £16,475.68, now: £12,190 (will be £7,690 by the end of this month, just waiting for the right time to sell some shares)

My debt: was: £16,889.76, now: £16,131.76 (not really focussing on this until the joint debt has gone)

Total: was: £33,365.44, now: £28,321.76

So that's £5,043.68 gone in 5 months - just gotta keep swimming (saw Finding Dory last night - a Tesco voucher freebie! I think I've only just recovered from the emotional trauma)

Until next time, over and out. Sx

• Sholly
    Forumite
    Another month, another set of figures

Here goes...

Joint: was: £12,190, now: £11,290 (I still haven’t sold those shares – I’m waiting for them to hit a certain price, although our 0% ends mid-November so if they don’t hit that mark by the start of November, I’ll have to sell them whatever the price. Current value £4,500)

My debt: was: £16,131.76, now: £17,636.62 (I took Littlie on holiday for a week – I’m not justifying it, we had the best time, just the two of us…and I really needed some time away from reality)

Total: was: £28,321.76, now: £28,926.62…clearly this month was a blip! An enjoyable blip though!

Sholly x
  • Sholly
    Forumite
    Joint: was: £11,290, now: £9,990 (I still haven’t sold those shares – the note above still applies!)

My debt: was: £16,131.76, now: £17,356.76

Total: was: £28,926.62, now: £27,346.76 - back on track!

Sholly x
  • Sholly
    Forumite
    The shares have finally been sold! The price plummeted but I had to sell them last week to make sure I didn't go over the 0% end date - frustrating, but that's how it goes sometimes.

Joint: was: £9,990, now: £4,190 (4 months to go!)

My debt: was: £17,356.76, now: £18,174.46 (far too many months to go! Looking at April 2018 but will need to assess that when the joint debt has gone. Also, my tenants are moving out so I will be short until I get new tenants).

My debt has gone up slightly as I have transferred the shortfall from the shares onto one of my cards - but this means that I have now paid back what I owe into the house - it has taken 2 years so it feels good to finally repay that.

Sholly x
  • Cream_Tea
    Cream_Tea Posts: 427
    Wedding Day Wonder
    Forumite
    Wow you've done amazingly since I last read. I hope you've been well. I'm looking forward to making progress with my money too once we're in our new house and the debt stops going up and instead goes down!

CT
    Mortgage [STRIKE]£269,000[/STRIKE] £258,987 / MF date [STRIKE]June'49[/STRIKE] June'49
    Debt £24,990 / Debt Free Est. May'21

Updated 06/05/18
  • Sholly
    Forumite
    Wow you've done amazingly since I last read. I hope you've been well. I'm looking forward to making progress with my money too once we're in our new house and the debt stops going up and instead goes down!

CT

Hi CT! Really nice to hear from you! How are you? Thank you - some months it goes the right way, others it doesn't, but as long as we get there eventually, I'm happy! When are you hoping to be in the new house? What's it like? Tell me all!

Sx
  • Sholly
    Forumite
    Joint: was: £4,190, now: £2,254 (2 months to go! - yippeeeee)

My debt: was: £18,174.46, now: £17,878.46 (hopefully 14 months to go, but that will be a push).

I now have tenants in my flat (phew), I make about £150 per month after I've paid my mortgage, which is helpful and I'm glad that my mortgage is covered. I've been looking at my debt-free schedule and think that March 2018 is reasonable...as long as everything goes to plan!...but I also know that we've got some big expenses later this year which might throw it all off. I'm going to keep focussed and tighten the reins a bit and hope for the best!

Sholly x
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Fab to see the joint debt really plummet :) good luck for the next few months at chipping away at the debt too x
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback