HMRC say I owe £155.80

Options

Comments

• runninglea
    runninglea Posts: 907 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    did you used to be self employed - sounds like class 2 national insurance not being paid
    Year 2019 (1,700/£17000mortgage repayment)Overall mortgage (71,400/165568) (44
    .1%) (42/100) payments made. Total paid 2019 year £1,700

Total paid 2017 year £15,300Total paid 2018 year £13,600
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    runninglea wrote: »
    did you used to be self employed - sounds like class 2 national insurance not being paid

What makes you think that?
  • gwin
    gwin Posts: 102 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just to clarify, no I am not trolling either. I was quite angry and upset when I posted the question and it seemed at the time the person who asked why it was a "mistake" and the one asking if I had posted in the right section were trivialising or belittling me.
    Having re-read the posts now I have calmed down I see I totally misread the tone of their messages and would like to apologise.
    I have always found the help on this site invaluable and in no way would I want to alienate myself.
    Marlipanda, Darksparkle, I hope you will accept my apologies.
  • sleepless_saver
    Options
    gwin wrote: »
    Hi all
    I am currently unemployed and today received a letter from HMRC saying I owe £155.80.
    This mistake is surely down to them or my previous company. What is my best course of action now?
    Many thanks for reading.
    You could start by checking if you've paid the right amount of income tax for the year in question - tax calculator here. Then if you think you don't owe any money, phone HMRC and ask for an explanation. Unless their figure is wrong, you will have to pay the due tax sometime - most painless way is usually by adjusting tax code.
  • dippy3103
    dippy3103 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Have they said what the money is and why you owe it? If it is lawfully owed they will recover it one way or the other.
  • Londonsu
    Londonsu Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    Options
    You could start by checking if you've paid the right amount of income tax for the year in question - tax calculator here. Then if you think you don't owe any money, phone HMRC and ask for an explanation. Unless their figure is wrong, you will have to pay the due tax sometime - most painless way is usually by adjusting tax code.

I had a tax underpayment for tax year 2013/2014 of 83 quid due to JSA paid to me, I got a full explanation last year and in Feb got a new tax code for 2016/2017and again a full explanation/breakdown .

Mt Husband also had a tax underpayment for tax year 2014/2015 due to his pension, again he got a full explanation last year and again in Feb got a new tax code for 2016/2017 , so that seems the way the tax office works, full explanation/breakdown and then new tax code, so why did the OP just get a letter with no explanation/breakdown if it was an underpayment of tax.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    To be fair we have no idea what the op got and what type of tax overpayment this is! They haven't answered any questions.

They may well have got all the things you describe. Not understanding/comprehending the letters could well lead to their post.
  • Londonsu
    Londonsu Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    Options
    To be fair we have no idea what the op got and what type of tax overpayment this is! They haven't answered any questions.

They may well have got all the things you describe. Not understanding/comprehending the letters could well lead to their post.

Possibly but the letter and breakdown was very clear in both our cases we knew exactly why we had an underpayment and also it was made clear in the first letter that they were not asking to money to be paid back to them just that there would be an adjustment to our tax codes.
  • dippy3103
    dippy3103 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Seeing as he was asking what the next step is, I think he wants a magic get out of paying solution.
  • chrisbur
    chrisbur Posts: 4,053 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    gwin wrote: »
    I have always found the help on this site invaluable
    #.

Help can only be given when we understand what the problem is. You need to give full details from the letter advising you of the £155.80 owing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure