JUST EAT hideous charges

Hello,

I noticed that Just Eat in my area introduced several food shops that traditionally never had delivery facilities.

These shops come with a hefty cost of £2 for delivery. A bit pricey considering they do e.g. 20 deliveries in an hour, but hey, you can say it's alright.

However, the poor consumers do not know what is really going on. Just Eat charges every food item of the shop, at least £1.75 more than the prices you pay at the shop!

Isn't this the most disgusting thing that a delivery company can do?

So, the poor customer orders like a couple of burger meals and they end up paying £5-6 more for the delivery!

That's absolutely a steal, is there any organisation to complain about these hideous practices?

They cannot overcharge the same thing, it should be illegal! They charge for delivery, which is fair, but they also inflate heavily the prices!!!

This company is really the most horrendous company ever. They made money out of nothing and now they heavily rip off people!

Comments

• I totally agree with HappyUser. I refuse to use them and call the shop direct, getting a free delivery and much cheaper prices. A total rip-off and there is no guarantee that the premises they work with have good hygiene ratings either.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • System
    System Posts: 178,086 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    A good website with most of the takeaway menus is https://www.tastyfind.co.uk. Though from browsing a few of the takeaways, this website doesn't have the phone numbers to the takeaways. A quick Google search will get the number.

Yes Just Eat is a rip off. Here's some examples of prices of takeaways near me. First price is the takeway menu and the other is JE

Kebab takeaway
    L
    arge Lamb Shish Pitta Kebab - £5.40 £6.10
    10" Four Seasons Pizza £10.70 £11.50
    Beef halfpounder meal with cheese - £5 £5.40
    Saving if order direct £1.90

Chinese
    Half crispy aromatic duck £13.50 £14
    Szechuan Chicken £4.70 £5.50
    Lamb with Mushrooms £4.80 £5.60
    Large egg fried rice - £2.70 £3.20
    Prawn Thai Red Curry - £5.10 £5.80
    Saving if ordered direct £3.30

These prices are in takeaways in Leicestershire. So if you have a weekly takeaway most weeks, - you could be saving £120 a year if ordering directly - or getting 5-7 takeaways for 'free'
  • JCS1
    JCS1 Posts: 5,285 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    That will be due to having to pay fees to Just Eat, so the food shop puts their prices up to cover.
  • JCS1 wrote: »
    That will be due to having to pay fees to Just Eat, so the food shop puts their prices up to cover.

The problem is that hideous Just Eat company wants to get rich by providing a nonsense dirt cheap almost zero value service.
  • Abbafan1972
    Abbafan1972 Posts: 6,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 December 2018 at 12:36PM
    Yes we had a look at Just Eat and for one of our chinese takeaways we use, for each item we added to the order, it put on an extra charge of 60p, so it would have been over £4 dearer than ordering it direct from the shop, so we didn't bother using it. Plus it added £2 delivery, whereas calling the shop direct, they only charge us £1.

Wouldn't ever use it.
    Striving to clear the mortgage before it finishes in Dec 2028 - amount currently owed - £43,915.98
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,994 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    They've been around for years - surprised it's news to some!
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    HappyUser wrote: »

These shops come with a hefty cost of £2 for delivery. A bit pricey considering they do e.g. 20 deliveries in an hour, but hey, you can say it's alright.

Why isn't it all right?

How many deliveries per hour do you think one driver can manage? Minimum wage is £7.83 an hour.
    Isn't this the most disgusting thing that a delivery company can do?

Just Eat are not a delivery company.

That's absolutely a steal, is there any organisation to complain about these hideous practices?

You mean is there someone who can force restaurants to stop overcharging Just Eat customers?

Yes, Just Eat. I can't imagine they'd be happy about it.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    A good website with most of the takeaway menus is https://www.tastyfind.co.uk. Though from browsing a few of the takeaways, this website doesn't have the phone numbers to the takeaways...
    '

Interesting.

All that Tasty Find does is list restaurants and show a View Deal button. Click on that and you're given a choice between Just Eat (boo:)), Hungryhouse (owned by Just Eat) and Takeaway.com (who sold out their UK business to, err, Just Eat in 2016).

Of course, I haven't clicked every View Deal button.
  • baza52
    baza52 Posts: 3,029 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    https://www.just-eat.co.uk/help/article/204298552/what-s-the-just-eat-price-promise-all-about
    What’s the JUST EAT Price Promise all about?
    We guarantee you'll pay the same price for your meal ordered on Just Eat as you would ordering from the restaurant direct*. So, if you find your order placed on Just Eat advertised by the restaurant for less (either on a menu popped through your door or advertised anywhere online) then we'll send you double the difference in the form of a Just Eat voucher. That's our Price Promise to you.

*Excludes service charge, delivery fees and special offers.

How do I submit a new claim?
    Making a claim couldn't be easier. Simply pop your Just Eat order number into the form here and upload any links or photo evidence to show your order advertised by the restaurant cheaper elsewhere. It's as easy as that!

How long will it take the Price Promise team to get back to me?
    Once we've received your submission, we'll get back to you within 24 hours.

When will I receive my refund?
    If it turns out you have paid too much, our Price Promise team will aim to process your refund within five working days.

How will I receive my refund?
    Our Price Promise team will send you a Just Eat voucher code for double the difference, to be used on your next takeaway.

Can the refund be paid in cash?
    Unfortunately not. But don't worry, we'll be sending you double the difference in the form of a Just Eat voucher for your next takeaway.

How can I follow up on an existing claim?
    In the unlikely event you don't hear back from us, drop us an email to pricepromise@just-eat.co.uk and we'll be in touch right away.
  • *Excludes service charge, delivery fees and special offers.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback