Help, been sold a stolen car

Options
marie3196658
marie3196658 Posts: 17 Forumite
edited 14 May 2018 at 3:22PM in Consumer rights
i bought a car in November 2017 and it has been found that the car has been stolen. false number plates put on with matching VIN numbers on the windscreen and inside the drivers door panel. we found out because we were having a problem trying to obtain a V5 for the car (after not receiving it from the change over from the buyer).
we are now without a car and £15000 out of pocket. can anybody give any advice of the best way forward to try and get our money back or even the car. the insurance company that insured the car at the time of it being stolen have already paid out for the car and will take possession of the vehicle. i have been intouch with them and i am waiting a reply to see if we can get the car back at all.
we paid cash after receiving a good enough 'excuse' why he couldn't receive money through a bank transfer, so not covered on any debit or credit card insurance
we bought the car from an advert on Auto Trader and did the additional checks, but of course we were doing the checks on a false number plate hence why it came back all clear and no suspicions were raised when we bought the car.
any advice would be much appreciated

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You need police involvement , only they can attempt to trace mobile numbers etc, although I expect it's a throwaway mobile number

Did you buy at their home address or "meet halfway "
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why has it taken this long?
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You could try and argue it was bought good faith and want good title as an innocent purchaser, but I doubt that will work as it's stolen.

That may only work with outstanding finance cases but it's worth a try.
  • bobbymotors
    bobbymotors Posts: 746 Forumite
    Options
    bris wrote: »
    You could try and argue it was bought good faith and want good title as an innocent purchaser, but I doubt that will work as it's stolen.

That may only work with outstanding finance cases but it's worth a try.

no that won't work, if it's stolen you cannot get title.
  • davidwood681
    davidwood681 Posts: 881 Forumite
    Options
    You won't get your money back
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Unless the police can identify the criminal and get a conviction and restitution order you are pretty much stuffed. There is only ever one reason to only accept cash for that large a transaction !
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    Options
    If nothing else I hope this shows skimping on an HPI check when paying by cash can be a false economy.

When making what is often the second biggest purchase of your life it really is better to be safe than sorry.
  • twhitehousescat
    twhitehousescat Posts: 5,368 Forumite
    Options
    waamo wrote: »
    If nothing else I hope this shows skimping on an HPI check when paying by cash can be a false economy.

When making what is often the second biggest purchase of your life it really is better to be safe than sorry.

I seem to recall the OP saying they did checks , but they were on the VIN and VRN that were on the car , not stated if this was with HPI or others , BUT giving those details to HPI would have returned the fact that the car was OK
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    Options
    I seem to recall the OP saying they did checks , but they were on the VIN and VRN that were on the car , not stated if this was with HPI or others , BUT giving those details to HPI would have returned the fact that the car was OK

Don't HPI offer some sort of guarantee that if it is stolen and passes their check then you get some form of compensation?

I seem to recall this was one of the selling points.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Options
    waamo wrote: »
    Don't HPI offer some sort of guarantee that if it is stolen and passes their check then you get some form of compensation?

I seem to recall this was one of the selling points.

You are correct about the HPI guarantee but even if the OP did HPI the vehicle, they failed to qualify for this guarantee.
    we found out because we were having a problem trying to obtain a V5 for the car (after not receiving it from the change over from the buyer)
    11.Conditions of HPI Guarantee
    1.To qualify for the HPI Guarantee, you must do the following before buying your vehicle:
    1.you must ensure that the vehicle is accompanied by a full and current V5C (log book) from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency, and provide us with the serial number and issue date from it;
    2.you must check that all the vehicle information provided by us as part of the HPI Check matches the vehicle itself and the corresponding V5C (log book), and you must notify us immediately of any discrepancies so that we can investigate. This information includes, but is not limited to, the vehicle’s make, model and derivative, engine size, colour, transmission, fuel type and door plan;
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure