IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Six year old ticket

Options

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    so to the OP

you print it , sign and date it as a statement of truth , scan back to pc and add to and save as a pdf document (add to word, save as a pdf file)

then you email it to the ccbc email address and add it as an attachment , putting your name , address , MCOL reference etc in the main body of the email and add name and mcol ref to the subject

do this before the deadline day next week

there are other ways of signing it on a pc and there is always the option of posting it in good time as well , but I do not wish to complicate matters further in explaining what a digital signature is

so as long as you or a friend or relative can print it and scan it back to a pc or laptop , then print sign and date it, scan back , save as pdf , add as an attachment to your email

the point is that it has to be signed and dated by the person who received the MCOL (ie:- you most likely) and alll relevant details have to be added to that email so they know who sent it and what case number it is so they can add it to your file

it is no good emailing it as is because it is NOT signed and dated at the moment
  • youdontsay
    Options
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    IN THE COUNTY COURT
    CLAIM NO. XXXXXXX
    BETWEEN:
    EXCEL PARKING SERVICES LIMITED
    Claimant
    and
    XXXXX XXXXXXX
    Defendant

[STRIKE]Statement of[/STRIKE]
    DEFENCE

1. This claim purports to relate to a parking charge relating to an identified vehicle in 2012. As the registered keeper of that vehicle, the Defendant has no knowledge of any 'parking charges' and received no correspondence at all until this sudden claim. The Defendant has no idea of the circumstances or contravention alleged, and the Claimant has given no explanation for the lack of previous correspondence, nor has the Claimant supplied photographic or other evidence.

1.1. The Particulars of Claim [STRIKE]do not[/STRIKE] fail to disclose any reasonable grounds for bringing the claim and as such, are an abuse of the court process or otherwise likely to obstruct the just disposal of the proceedings. The particulars fail to comply with Civil Procedure Rule 16.4 and Practice Direction 16 by failing to provide a copy of the contract or details of any agreement by conduct. [STRIKE]The particulars also fail to describe how the amount claimed has been calculated.[/STRIKE]

1.2. The alleged incident pre-dates the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 (Schedule 4), before which there was no lawful route to hold a registered keeper liable for the actions of an unidentified driver.

1.3. The Claimant has failed to produce any evidence regarding the identity of the driver, and there can be no lawful presumption that a keeper was the driver on any given date in the absence of evidence.

1.4. The Claimant is known to seek to rely on the case of Elliott v Loake [1983] Crim LR 36, in order to mislead the court that this case created a purported precedent that amounts to a presumption that the registered keeper is the driver. In that case, the finding that the keeper was the driver was based on the provision of forensic and other evidence, none of which has been presented here. Elliot v Loake was also a criminal case, which has no bearing on a civil contractual matter, as decided in several county court decisions where the Judges dismissed Elliott v Loake as not applicable.

2. The particulars fail to comply with Civil Procedure Rule 16.4 and Practice Direction 16, paragraphs 7.3 and 7.5, by failing to provide a copy of the alleged contract (presumably, signage terms from 2012). [STRIKE]or details of any agreement by conduct[/STRIKE]

3. Practice direction 22 sets out who may sign a statement of truth. Para 3.10 states that ''A legal representative who signs a statement of truth must sign in his own name and not that of his firm or employer''. The claim is signed by ''BW Legal''.

4. The Claimant's solicitor, BW Legal, is a notorious, serial 'robo-claim' firm, whose cosy relationship with various rogue parking companies, and unacceptable conduct in pursuing unjustified and inflated parking charges was recently 'named and shamed' in a Parliamentary Second Reading of the Private Parking Code of Practice Bill, where one MP revealed he had reported this firm to the Solicitors' Regulation Authority to investigate. The Claimants themselves have also been named and shamed by MPs on several occasions, regarding their predatory and aggressive business practices, woeful signage and lack of evidence of any agreed contract.

4.1. The issuing of this baseless claim appears to be an attempt to intimidate the Defendant into paying an ancient and unsubstantiated 'charge' for which the Defendant is not legally liable. This shows a complete lack of respect for the court process and also demonstrates the failure of the Claimant to attempt to mitigate losses, by making an extortionate, unquantified and unjustified demand for £262.50.

5. The claimant may seek to rely on the case of Parking Eye v Beavis [2015] UKSC 67 ('Beavis'). This claim can be easily distinguished from Beavis, which was dependent upon an un-denied contract, formed by unusually prominent signage forming a clear offer and which turned on unique facts regarding the unusually compelling legitimate interests of the landowner (at that location only) in encouraging a turnover of free parking spaces. Strict compliance with the BPA Code of Practice was paramount, and Mr. Beavis was the admitted driver who saw the signs and entered into a contract to pay £85. None of this is applicable to this case, and the Supreme Court was at pains to state that each parking charge case would necessitate individual consideration of the facts, and that the penalty rule was certainly engaged in such cases.

5.1. Further, in Beavis at the Court of Appeal stage, the Judges held the case of a free licence to park under certain conditions, was 'entirely different' from most ordinary economic transactional disputes. Parking charges cannot exist merely to punish drivers and this claimant has failed to show any comparable 'legitimate interest' to save their charge from Lord Dunedin's four tests for a penalty, which the Supreme Court Judges found were still a relevant and adequate test in less complex cases.

6. As a member of the British Parking Association (BPA) in 2012, this Claimant was banned by the DVLA for several months for 'a significant breach' of the Code of Practice.

6.1. This ban was reported by the DVLA in a Freedom of Information reply in the public domain, as relating to unacceptable and misleading wording on their signs, which attempted to suggest a registered keeper could be liable, before the POFA was enacted. Implying that a keeper could be liable/responsible for the actions of a driver was identified by the DVLA as so serious a matter that Excel was banned from obtaining registered keeper data for three months.

6.2. It is averred that this misinformation regarding liability is exactly what this Claimant is repeating now, in the hope that neither the Defendant nor the Courts will realise that there can have been no 'keeper liability' on the material date and that this Claimant was actually banned for making these same misleading statements, around the time of this alleged incident.

7. No evidence has been supplied to demonstrate that the Claimant is/was the landowner of the land in question, or that they have/had any other right, standing or proprietary interest in the land on the material date. The Claimant is therefore put to strict proof that they were at the time of the alleged event in possession of sufficient authority to issue parking charges and issue enforcement proceedings in their own name and can demonstrate a clear chain of authority from the landowner.

8. It is averred that this Claimant failed to make reasonable efforts to make the terms and conditions in any of its car parks clear and prominent then, or at all. It cannot be assumed that anyone entering the car park in 2012 - when Excel used particularly crowded and illegible wording on all their signage - was aware of or agreed to any 'parking charge' terms. The Claimant is put to strict proof that the driver (an unidentified party) saw, read and agreed to a contract upon which the claimant is relying.

8.1. The court's attention is drawn to the words of Simon Renshaw-Smith (previously known as 'Captain Clampit') in Excel v Cutts (2011, Stockport County Court), where Excel's signage was held to be deliberately misleading and deceptive, hiding any 'contractual charge' in the smallest lettering.

8.2. The unclear signage used universally by Excel in 2011/2012 was exposed in an article by the Plain Language Commission, which reported that Mr Renshaw-Smith wrote to Stockport MP Andrew Gwynne: ''The recent decision by Deputy District Judge Lateef, is an embarrassment to the judicial system. Such an off the wall judgment leads one to question if there was indeed an ulterior motive. DJ Lateef is not fit to serve the Civil Courts''. It is averred that this Claimant continues to demonstrate a complete lack of respect for the court process, and a disregard for the rights of registered keepers in 2018. What is plain, is that the repeated exposure in Parliamentary debates condemning this Claimant and their solicitor is wholly justified.

9. The Claimant is attempting to claim additional charges such as legal costs of £129.00. The Defendant also has the reasonable belief that the Claimant has not incurred the stated additional costs and it is put to strict proof that they have actually been incurred. The additional sum claimed for interest is an insult to justice and evidence of the Claimant's wilful and vexatious abuse of the court process, given that this Claimant has waited almost six years to contact the Defendant.

10. The Defendant denies the claim in its entirety, voiding any liability to the claimant for all amounts claimed. In the absence of strict proof capable of rebutting the above points of defence, I submit that the Claimant has no cause of action whatsoever against the Defendant registered keeper, and the Defendant invites the court to exercise its case management powers to strike the claim out without a hearing, since it has no prospects of success.

I believe the facts stated in this defence are true.

signed

date

Could this be my actual defence? Could I send as is to the Courts?
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,700 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 9 February 2018 at 1:03AM
    Options
    Yes of course, I wrote it for you to use. :)

Add your claim number and your name where shown at the top, remove the bits I crossed out, change it all to black (not red), print it out and sign/date it. Keep a copy for your own court file.

email a scan of the signed/dated document to the ccbcaq email address, as explained by KeithP above.

Job done, for now...bear in mind there are other paperwork stages to follow. You will win. Keep coming back here at each stage, don't assume a court letter needs no action.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • youdontsay
    Options
    Yes of course, I wrote it for you use. :)

Add your claim number and your name where shown at the top, remove the bits I crossed out, change it all to black (not red), print it out and sign/date it. Keep a copy for your own court file.

email a scan of the signed/dated document to the ccbcaq email address, as explained by KeithP above.

Job done, for now...bear in mind there are other paperwork stages to follow. You will win. Keep coming back here at each stage, don't assume a court letter needs no action.

I am quite bowled over! I never expected this level of input! Thank you so much Coupon-mad, I was so relieved to have found this site but never thought that someone would take the time and trouble to write a defence for me. I know its not over, but thank you from the bottom of my heart
  • Ralph-y
    Ralph-y Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    you have on your side some of the best minds in the country re private parking problems .....

CM should have had a mention in any of the honours lists ... for the work she does ... as do many others on this forum ....

You will win this and I am so glad to see you progressing from the timid poster of a few days ago ;)

when you do win then you can do your bit and pass this new found information onto family / friends / neighbours ..... and your MP ....

keep it up ...

Ralph:cool:
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    We really do mean it however - you MUST go and read up on the newbies thread, post 2, and bookmark it - you need to keep referring to it.

Small claims has a well known, set process.
  • youdontsay
    Options
    I have received a letter from the courts as follows -

'I acknowledge receipt of your defence. A copy is being served on the Claimant (or the claimant's solicitors) The claimant may contact you direct to attempt to resolve any dispute.If the dispute cannot be resolved informally, the claimant will inform the court that he wishes to proceed. The court will then inform you of what will happen.

Where he wishes to proceed, the claimant must contact the court within 28 days after receiving a copy of your defence. After that period has elapsed, the claim will be stayed. The only action the claimant can then take will be to apply to a judge for an order lifting the stay.'

The defence they refer to is the very amateur defence I wrote on the claim form as per the advice from their solicitors. Can I assume that the phone call I made requesting that a note be made on the file of the claim that this was to be disregarded has not been carried out I wonder? Does this mean that that defence is the one which will stand?
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,700 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Just email the defence I wrote (signed & dated) to the CCBC, and for good measure email a copy to the claimant's solicitors even though normally you don't have to in MCOL.

That way, they can't say later they didn't see your defence, and they might see your emailed one first. Do not explain to the Claimant why you are emailing it, just state that out of courtesy you are sending them a copy.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • youdontsay
    youdontsay Posts: 90 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 February 2018 at 11:32AM
    Options
    Just email the defence I wrote (signed & dated) to the CCBC, and for good measure email a copy to the claimant's solicitors even though normally you don't have to in MCOL.

That way, they can't say later they didn't see your defence, and they might see your emailed one first. Do not explain to the Claimant why you are emailing it, just state that out of courtesy you are sending them a copy.

Thank you for your quick reply. I will do as you advise today. Should I email the courts separately and mention that I had asked for my previous defence to be disregarded and that it was confirmed on two occasions via telephone calls that this was done, and that a note had been put on claim file. But for for some reason, my defence has been acknowledged before receiving the amended defence?

Also I believe the defence should have been typed in Times New Roman font with 1.5 spacing, should I convert the defence prior to emailing? I have in my hand a copy of each version but thought I should check first

I have just noticed that advice from Redx further up this thread advises to include MCOL references in the body of the email, but no mention of it more recently. Should I include MCOL details in email or not? There are several other reference numbers that Ive included in order to pinpoint my actual claim is what I am thinking

Many thanks
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 February 2018 at 10:35AM
    Options
    Don't forget to ask for costs, including those for unreasonable behaviour. Have you thought about a counterclaim for DPA breach and possible harassment in case the scammers pull out or don't turn up to defend?

I'm not sure what you can claim, but I'm sure there must be something.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business