Energy: Find the cheapest supplier & earn cashback

Options

Comments

• Kaz_the_gas
    Options
    I'm with Outfox the Market on the Zap tariff which you don't have on the drop down selector, so I suspect your recommendation to change from Cheap Energy Club might not be accurate. :(
  • murphydavid
    murphydavid Posts: 832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 February 2019 at 5:55PM
    Options
    As I'm here: and I know it flies in the face of the MSE energy savings club but I for one am tired of all this comparison work and of being messed about by companies who just can't cope; meter readings start and end wrong and hardly any customer service. Not to mention them using me for an interest free loan by over estimating my direct debit. Still sore from MSE recommended switch to Green Star. So any comments on sites like

https://lookaftermybills.com/how-it-works/

(particularly from MSE) would be of interest to me.

Initially I'm very tempted
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As I'm here: and I know it flies in the face of the MSE energy savings club but I for one am tired of all this comparison work and of being messed about by companies who just can't cope; meter readings start and end wrong and hardly any customer service. Not to mention them using me for an interest free loan by over estimating my direct debit. Still sore from MSE recommended switch to Green Star. So any comments on sites like

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5949996

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5787522

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5924111

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5885425

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5794878
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 February 2019 at 6:29PM
    Options
    . . . So any comments on sites like
    From their website:
    Will LAMB always get me the best deal?

LAMB’s aim is to keep you on fair deal forever.
    That may not mean the very cheapest, that’s because we want to make sure we work with suppliers who value their customers and are committed to improving their customer service.
    That may mean they will switch you to whoever is paying the most commission for introducing you to the new supplier. I doubt that customer service will be of any concern to them - only the commission. Would they, for example, switch your tariff with the same supplier if it is your cheapest option?

You will be able to cancel a switch they have initiated but you will have to do that yourself then advise LAMB that you have done it.

You might just as well do your own comparisons rather than a blind reliance on a third party whose sole interest is likely to be the commission they earn. No mention of any cash-back either.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • murphydavid
    Options
    [QUOTE=You_might_just_as_well_do_your_own_comparisons_rather_than_a_blind_reliance_on_a_third_party[/QUOTE]
    I have difficulty with that suggestion as I am not sure where to start. Is there a list of companies worth comparing? A list of new entries to the market? ie How would one find out which companies to compare and how many and when to stop? In the last few posts on here I see names I never knew existed. Or are you saying to start by using switching sites to get a list then compare that list yourself?
    I have had so much bother I will not switch again without also comparing customer service. I am actually now willing to pay a little extra to get good service as my time is also valuable and I have wasted so much having to check a variety of errors all in financial favor of the supplier compounded by lack of decent communication.
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 13 February 2019 at 11:36AM
    Options
    I have difficulty with that suggestion as I am not sure where to start. Is there a list of companies worth comparing? A list of new entries to the market? ie How would one find out which companies to compare and how many and when to stop? In the last few posts on here I see names I never knew existed. Or are you saying to start by using switching sites to get a list then compare that list yourself?
    I have had so much bother I will not switch again without also comparing customer service. I am actually now willing to pay a little extra to get good service as my time is also valuable and I have wasted so much having to check a variety of errors all in financial favor of the supplier compounded by lack of decent communication.

How will you prevent this by handing total control of who supplies you to a third party??? :huh:

You can set a filter within the CEC to only show tariffs from your existing supplier if you don't want to change from your expensive supplier that provides you the customer service you desire.
  • Consumerist
    Options
    . . . Or are you saying to start by using switching sites to get a list then compare that list yourself? . . .
    I only use comparison sites as a starting point.

At the moment I favour MSE's Cheap Energy Club for two reasons: (1) it provides ratings of the suppliers or otherwise indicates there is not enough feedback - so you can spot the new entrants to the market and (2) it provides warnings if the supplier is being investigated by Ofgem or if MSE is aware of high complaint levels.

Having a list of contenders from CEC, I then check the supplier's site(s) to confirm quoted rates. CEC says they are reliant on suppliers to provide tariff data but suppliers don't always advise CEC. They may also offer tariffs which are not available to CEC.

Admittedly, the process is more protracted than it used to be but the alternative is not to get the best suitable deal. The choice is yours.
  • murphydavid
    murphydavid Posts: 832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 February 2019 at 12:50PM
    Options
    wavelets wrote: »
    How will you prevent this by handing total control of who supplies you to a third party??? :huh:
    Maybe I was not clear: I was not suggesting handing over control or giving any advice. Quite the opposite. I was commenting that my problem was created because I trusted a site (CEC in fact); much to my regret. And was asking for advice. ie alternative approaches to the problem with limited time. I was initially wondering if lookaftermybills was any good but by looking at the links provided above I now don't think so.
  • Redglass
    Options
    Some years ago I'm sure there was information on the site about how to switch utilities for elderly relatives who don't understand tech. I can't find it now, so can anyone help? My mother will soon be 91. I run her bank accounts, etc, for her as she has advanced Alzheimer's and can't take any active part in the process. In the past when I've needed to deal with utilities companies they have sometimes insisted on getting Mum to the phone to say, 'Yes, OK,' even though there didn't seem to be much point in this (the voice they heard could have been anybody's :D). Getting her to say 2 words on the phone means a 10-hour return journey (we live in Somerset and Merseyside!) and also means I can't use the laptop (no connectivity in her house) and even with me there, she won't always respond in a helpful way. She can't travel to my house. The complications are starting to get me down. I need to be able to do the whole thing online. Any helpful advice much appreciated. :)
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 February 2019 at 12:02AM
    Options
    Redglass wrote: »
    Some years ago I'm sure there was information on the site about how to switch utilities for elderly relatives who don't understand tech. I can't find it now, so can anyone help? My mother will soon be 91. I run her bank accounts, etc, for her as she has advanced Alzheimer's and can't take any active part in the process. In the past when I've needed to deal with utilities companies they have sometimes insisted on getting Mum to the phone to say, 'Yes, OK,' even though there didn't seem to be much point in this (the voice they heard could have been anybody's :D). Getting her to say 2 words on the phone means a 10-hour return journey (we live in Somerset and Merseyside!) and also means I can't use the laptop (no connectivity in her house) and even with me there, she won't always respond in a helpful way. She can't travel to my house. The complications are starting to get me down. I need to be able to do the whole thing online. Any helpful advice much appreciated. :)
    Hi Redglass and welcome to the forum.

If you switch online using your mother's address and annual estimated consumption then at that point I don't see any problems. Once you have switched you should get mum to sign a letter (from her home address) to the new supplier authorising you to act on her behalf and put it in the post. You would probably need to do this each time you switch her supplier.

Edit
    Alternatively, if you have a prospective supplier and your mum is ready to switch, why not phone the new supplier and tell them the circumstances and ask how they would like it done?

Edit2
    Is this the <article> you were looking for?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback