How small is too small to raise a baby? (For future reference)

Comments

• theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,293 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Friends of mine had a baby in a bedsit. This involved scrupulous military neatness.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    theoretica wrote: »
    Friends of mine had a baby in a bedsit. This involved scrupulous military neatness.

was the bed sit theirs?

I think more the question of size of the house/flat is security. I would rather have a child in a smaller flat that was mine than a larger house with the threat of having to move at two months notice hanging over me.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,293 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    was the bed sit theirs?

I think more the question of size of the house/flat is security. I would rather have a child in a smaller flat that was mine than a larger house with the threat of having to move at two months notice hanging over me.

No it wasn't owned by them. I presume they would have preferred a larger place that was theirs, but that wasn't an option so they used what they could.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • selement
    selement Posts: 518 Forumite
    We chose to buy a.place before having children. We were renting a 2 bed house previously so would have had room, but we felt once we had kids it would be harder to save so best to buy the house first if it's important to us. We now own a 3 bed house and I'm pregnant so it's all working out as planned. Although you can have kids in a smaller space it might not be ideal as they get older and affording a larger home gets tougher too! So I think house first is more logical, especially if there's no particular reason to rush babies
    Trying to lose weight (13.5lb to go)
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    My husband and I had our daughter whilst living in a 1 bed flat. We didn't move until she was 9. We were all really happy there and still often speak about that little place fondly.
    If I was advising my daughter though, I'd say but a little 2 bed place first. Sometimes it's harder to buy when you have a child because of nursery bills or reduced income. There will be a point when your child needs their own space.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,566 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    It is easier to buy a house when you have 2 full time wages coming in, same with weddings. I would do the marriage and buying the house first, establish a secure relationship and make sure your fianc! is the man you want to have children with. Kids are expensive and very stressful in the early years and hard work.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,566 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    To be brutally honest, you sound far too immature to be even considering having a child.

But since you ask the question, I'd go for the traditional route: get married, buy a large enough house then when you've saved enough to manage on one income for a short while have a child.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    My husband and I had our daughter whilst living in a 1 bed flat. We didn't move until she was 9. We were all really happy there and still often speak about that little place fondly.
    If I was advising my daughter though, I'd say but a little 2 bed place first. Sometimes it's harder to buy when you have a child because of nursery bills or reduced income. There will be a point when your child needs their own space.

I don't think I could cope with that. We've got a very large house with 2 adults and a seven year old but because the living area is very open plan we're now look at building an extension so she can have her own living space. She's basically turned the entire downstairs into "her space" and I want an adult room again without copious toy storage and Lego adorning every surface.
  • Honestly, a two bedroomed house is the minimum I think is suitable - children need gardens, you need somewhere to dry clothes without spending out on tumbledriers or draping soggy socks over radiators.

Others might disagree, but I had one in a one bedroom flat and two in a two bedroom. There really wasn't enough room, they were disturbed by every last sound from the neighbours, there was no room for a tumbledrier, and we were all cooped up in two rooms, which sounds cosy, but is actually a nightmare because when things are a bit stressy, you're never more than six foot away from one another.

And you won't get a large enough mortgage once one of you is at home looking after the baby.

Leave it for a few more years. Just because somebody says he wants you to have his baby, that doesn't mean he'll be able to handle a screaming infant or a postnatal mum in an enclosed space, surrounded by baby stuff and washing and adults' stuff and the washing up...if he loves you that much, he'll understand and wait until you've got space to breathe.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,138 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I had a 2 bed MTH when we had DS and though it was manageable, we had to get creative with some of our items. A couple of larger furniture pieces went to stay with relatives, so we could have room for the baby items in the living room. I had to have a folding high chair because one out all the time in the kitchen wasn't great. The buggy lived in my car boot. We moved to a larger place so we could have a 2nd child. Unless it's a very large 1 bed flat with plenty of space that you're in, I'd wait until you've got a 2 bed place.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure