DVLA - keeping revoked license as ID?

Options

Comments

• varghesejim
    varghesejim Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    Calfuray wrote: »
    Hello,

Apologies if this is in the wrong place or if this seems like a silly question.

We recently wrote to the DVLA to report various medical conditions for my husband. His driving license has been revoked, which is exactly what we were expecting. We have no intentions of appealing, but were wondering, can he keep the old license just for ID or does it have to be returned?

Thanks in advance,
    Cal

If you write your name and address in a white sheet of paper and stick a photo on it, no one will accept it as an id. People accept ids authorised by a relevant authority.

In this case, revoking the licence means DVLA cancelling the entire document. You cannot re-enable it. You need to reapply for a new licence later if you are eligible.

Revoked licence has no more value than your details in a white paper. Using this as an id is as good as using a fake document and is an offence.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    usefulmale wrote: »
    You would only be in trouble if you were caught driving.

It's no different to me keeping my old 'expired' passport.

It is because it hasn’t expired it’s been revoked.
  • castle96
    castle96 Posts: 2,885 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have heard that an expired passport IS valid ID for 2 years .....?
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Very strange, there are posters on here objecting to a potential little white lie so the OP gets to keep a useful form of photo ID who are advocating and/or encouraging potential criminal activity when it comes to an inconveniently parked vehicle in another current thread.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5841315

Seems to me some people have rather dodgy moral compasses.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Johno100 wrote: »
    Very strange, there are posters on here objecting to a potential little white lie so the OP gets to keep a useful form of photo ID who are advocating and/or encouraging potential criminal activity when it comes to an inconveniently parked vehicle in another current thread.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5841315

Seems to me some people have rather dodgy moral compasses.

Always been the case on here. :)

I'm sure using a revoked licence to prove age to buy alcohol in a supermarket will make a blind bit of difference. They check the photo and D.O.B they don't ring up DVLA. :rotfl:
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you write your name and address in a white sheet of paper and stick a photo on it, no one will accept it as an id. People accept ids authorised by a relevant authority.

In this case, revoking the licence means DVLA cancelling the entire document. You cannot re-enable it. You need to reapply for a new licence later if you are eligible.

Revoked licence has no more value than your details in a white paper. Using this as an id is as good as using a fake document and is an offence.

So, what offence would you commit if you used it, say to enter a club?
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If its been revoked because of disability (or prospective disability) then yes you need to return it.
    (3)A person whose licence is revoked under subsection (1) or (2) above must deliver up the licence F2... to the Secretary of State forthwith after the revocation [F5and a person who, without reasonable excuse, fails to do so is guilty of an offence

And disability is defined as:
    In this Part of this Act—
    “disability” includes disease [F1and the persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol, whether or not such misuse amounts to dependency],
    “relevant disability” in relation to any person means—
    (a)any prescribed disability, and
    (b)any other disability likely to cause the driving of a vehicle by him in pursuance of a licence to be a source of danger to the public, and

“prospective disability” in relation to any person means any other disability which—
    (a)at the time of the application for the grant of a licence or, as the case may be, the material time for the purposes of the provision in which the expression is used, is not of such a kind that it is a relevant disability, but
    (b)by virtue of the intermittent or progressive nature of the disability or otherwise, may become a relevant disability in course of time.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,791 Forumite
    Options
    Using this as an id is as good as using a fake document and is an offence.

Under what law?
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,791 Forumite
    Options
    castle96 wrote: »
    Have heard that an expired passport IS valid ID for 2 years .....?

I think the utility of an expired passport as a proof of ID is down to the discretion of the person accepting it or what its being used for

Easyjet, eg, will accept it for 5 years after (Although obviously only for domestic flights) whilst the Government, for money laundering purposes, only allows a current one
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A revoked document, especially revoked as a government-issued document, cannot be legally used for any purpose. An expired document is different: it will carry proof of expiry, in the form of an expired date. What happens if a police officer has sight of the revoked licence, do you think?
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family