MoneySaving horror stories...

As it's Friday 13th, we thought we'd ask about any MoneySaving horror stories you may have?

Comments

• We can all recount the horror of the moment when the penny finally drops and we realise the amount of debt we're in is actually unsustainable. It's the moment that precedes our light bulb moment. It's pretty horrific.

That, and car insurance renewal quotes!!! :rotfl: Now they ARE horrific :eek:
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The moment you check your flights and realise you bought the return for the wrong month! (damn February and March having the same days/dates on non leap years!). Then finding out you have to pay £600 to change the flights to the right date!
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    You log on to the MSE forum and find 50% of the posts are spammed scam phone numbers.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Sharon87 wrote: »
    The moment you check your flights and realise you bought the return for the wrong month! (damn February and March having the same days/dates on non leap years!). Then finding out you have to pay £600 to change the flights to the right date!
    I am so glad I am not the only one who's done this ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    edited 14 April 2018 at 7:18AM
    Boy buys £25,000 car, adds £4000 of options, spends £10,000 on modifications, car develops fault, spends £3000 removing modifications, car repaired under warranty, car breaks down a further 4 times, car has engine replaced under warranty, boy sells car due to no faith in reliability, boy loses £18,000.

Boy learns lesson (eventually), joins MSE forum, gets great advice and lives happily ever after.....

True story, happened to "a friend"...... ;)
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,371 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Elderly mum cashes in her life savings and sends it to her dodgy relative in Puerto Rico......oops no, I'm muddling myself up with someone else!!!!:beer:;);)
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • tlc678910
    tlc678910 Posts: 982 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Having to pay for a tank of the "wrong" fuel and a mechanic to drain it out before filling up again with the right fuel.
  • Spotting a great rate in Icesave and dumping money into it, only for the bank AND the whole country to go belly up...
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Not spending a little bit extra on holiday to do something fun because I was so tight with money back then. Getting home and realising that, sure, I had the £20 but if I ever wanted to go and do that thing again (visit a certain museum) it was going to cost me a lot more since I was no longer in situ.

So now I allow for a bit of frivolity when I travel. It doesn't cost me much more in the grand scheme of things and it's a LOT more fun.

Price v value, innit.
  • Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Buying 2 sofas which did fit in the room, but then no room for any people!
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family