Moorcroft are terrorising me!

Hi guys,

Please could I get some advice?

I have worked really hard over the past 8 years to get out of debt.
I am finally hoping to buy a house this year after losing my last house to my ex 8 years ago.

Lowell were chasing me for an unknown ‘debt’ I asked them to prove I owed it and they couldn’t so they passed on to Moorcroft.

Moorcroft have been calling me incessantly for the past week (as quickly as I block them they call on a new number) and I have received 4 letters in a week.

I discovered last night that Moorcroft have done a credit search entitled ‘DEBT COLLECTION ENQUIRY’ on me.
I am so worried that this will affect my chances of a mortgage. (The ‘debt’ does not appear on my credit file with any agency & I have no clue what it is).

Today they started hammering on my door at 8am shouting that they are bailiffs and scared my daughter and I. He shouted through the letter box that he wasn’t going away until I came to the door which I didn’t.
He walked all around the house hammering on all the windows.
Just as I was about to call the police he left.
I’m terrified he will come back.
What should I do?

Thank you for reading.

Comments

• scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Use your phone to video your interaction next time.

Good luck.....
  • vicxzy
    vicxzy Posts: 273 Forumite
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    Use your phone to video your interaction next time.

Good luck.....

Thank you that is a good idea I didn’t even think of that I just panicked.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 13 April 2018 at 10:20AM
    Hi,

First off, Moorcroft are debt collectors, certainly not bayliffs.

Are you positive this was about the same issue ?

Moorcroft use self employed collectors, just normal people with no more power than next doors cat, you do not have to speak to them, or engage with them in any way, they normally use them in towns/cities where a lot of clients can be visited at once, as they get paid by results.

If they dont get money out of you, then they dont get paid, thats why he was a bit enthusiastic about making contact with you.

Do not be terrified of him, he is powerless to do anything.

Calling himself a bayliffe is a big no no, exaggerating his powers is a clear violation of Moorcrofts remit, Id slap a written complaint into Moorcroft about this fellow, and insist on no further contact from them unless they prove liability for the debt.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • vicxzy
    vicxzy Posts: 273 Forumite
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Hi,

First off, Moorcroft are debt collectors, certainly not bayliffs.

Are you positive this was about the same issue ?

Moorcroft use self employed collectors, just normal people with no more power than next doors cat, you do not have to speak to them, or engage with them in any way, they normally use them in towns/cities where a lot of clients can be visited at once, as they get paid by results.

If they dont get money out of you, then they dont get paid, thats why he was a bit enthusiastic about making contact with you.

Calling himself a bayliffe is a big no no, exaggerating his powers, Id slap a written complaint into Moorcroft about this fellow, and insist on no further contact from them unless they prove liability for the debt.

Thank you.
    Yes there’s nothing else it could be.
    Do I write a letter to Moorcroft asking for proof that I owe the debt?
    There is a good chance it would be statute barred as if it was my debt I haven’t had credit or acknowledged anything for 8 years.
    It’s not on my file etc?
    Can they do credit search on me whenever they feel like it?

Thank you.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 13 April 2018 at 11:57AM
    vicxzy wrote: »
    There is a good chance it would be statute barred as if it was my debt I havent had credit or acknowledged anything for 8 years.
    Its not on my file etc?
    Can they do credit search on me whenever they feel like it?

Thank you.

As strange as it sounds, Moorcroft do not buy debts, so they will be acting on behalf of Lowell, who will of bought the account from the original creditor.

If your sure 8 years have passed without payment or written acknowledgement, i would go straight for the jugular with the statute barred letter, available here :

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/sampleletters/Pages/Time-has-run-out-to-recover-the-debt-(sole-name).aspx

As for the credit search, some were in the original agreement will be a little clause stating we can assign or pass your account to a 3rd party who will be able to do a trace on you blah blah.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Sunnysam72
    Sunnysam72 Posts: 22 Forumite
    edited 13 April 2018 at 11:52PM
    The cat next door to me scratches you as soon as you look at it, but your 'bailiff' won't even be able to that! I'd definitely film him, and only talk to him from an upstairs window to tell him to get off your property. Complain to Moorcroft about him and I'm sure there'll be some other agency you can complain to about his threatening behaviour if you do a quick google search. Awful that he scared your dd and you like that. Wishing that this is soon sorted for you, keep us posted about how you get on. Try CAB as they've got great advice on his issue.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure