Halifax suspended account.

Options

Comments

• geoffibs
    geoffibs Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've tried these :-(

They won't accept anything from a doctor. Not sure about a solicitor but they have said they will not accept anything other than him in person as it is a security issue.

They also won't accept anything brought in or anything to be sent. They keep saying there is nothing they can do. There is though - they can come to his house!

I've offered the loan. My dad simply doesn't want to do the loan thing as he believes this money will be lost and I'll never get it (old school) no matter how much I reassure him. He feels it is unfinished business. He wants his own money and he is so wound up about not getting it. I understand that.
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I would make the assumption that there is no signature on file, otherwise you could have taken in a letter signed by your father.

The solution I can see is to get 3rd party access on the savings account and then you can withdraw or raise a counter cheque from the account. Go into your branch and ask for 3rd party access form. Its about six pages long but it will allow you to withdraw once registered.

What is the savings account that your father has?

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is the sort of story the Daily Mail loves. Why not try their financial journalists?
  • TrickyDicky101
    TrickyDicky101 Posts: 3,513 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    geoffibs wrote: »
    I've just tried to follow up on the complaint. Nobody would chase for me so tried through the Halifax Cancer care line and they enquired for me.

Guess what? There is no record even though I have a confirmation email. Nothing they can do, I have to start the process again.

I just can't believe this.

Write to your MP and include that you have tried using the internal complaints process but Halifax has even lost its record of your complaint and thus they are saying the 8 week limit is reset. Copy in the CEO's office of Halifax (I expect you can get the address via Google).

Your father has been treated badly.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    No cheque book unfortunately as it's a saving account.

I've not asked another manager but every dept. I've spoken to when they look at the notes on the account tell me there is nothing they can do, a decision has been made at director level. The local branch manager was all for helping but didn't get the all clear from above.

Nobody will give me any names or contacts of decision makers, they just keep hiding behind "the decision is final."

Did you read post #15?
  • Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    That's a really rotten situation, sorry to hear about this.

I work at a bank (not Halifax) and I'm surprised a home visit requires Director-level clearance. Identification and verification can be done face-to-face (as evidenced by the requests for your father to present himself in branch) so why couldn't an equivalent process be carried out at the bedside?

At any rate I wouldn't be satisfied with this "final decision" statement. As a complainant you are entitled to receive a final resolution letter even if the bank rules against you, which is what's required to then escalate to FOS. I would say go back to the branch and make very, very clear that you want to log a complaint, immediately and face-to-face, through the official process. You can then try the FOS or even go to the media - I agree it's very unreasonable that they haven't offered your father a single practical avenue to resolving the problem and accessing his money. An obligation to maintain security has to be weighed against the bank's duty of care to their customers.

Best of luck, keep us updated.
    : )
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    That's a really rotten situation, sorry to hear about this.

I work at a bank (not Halifax) and I'm surprised a home visit requires Director-level clearance. Identification and verification can be done face-to-face (as evidenced by the requests for your father to present himself in branch) so why couldn't an equivalent process be carried out at the bedside?

At any rate I wouldn't be satisfied with this "final decision" statement. As a complainant you are entitled to receive a final resolution letter even if the bank rules against you, which is what's required to then escalate to FOS. I would say go back to the branch and make very, very clear that you want to log a complaint, immediately and face-to-face, through the official process. You can then try the FOS or even go to the media - I agree it's very unreasonable that they haven't offered your father a single practical avenue to resolving the problem and accessing his money. An obligation to maintain security has to be weighed against the bank's duty of care to their customers.

Best of luck, keep us updated.
    All correct information.

I do, however, think pursuing it to the top within LBG should work faster than the FOS.

As the FOS cannot demand a bank do business with anybody it's highly unlikely that route will be effective.
  • geoffibs
    Options
    Did you read post #15?

Yes but everybody is blocking me - as soon as they read the notes they keep saying the decision is final. I've asked for it to be taken further and everybody keeps saying they can't do anything. Even my local branch said try the Ombudsman.

I'd love to see what is in these notes.
  • geoffibs
    Options
    All correct information.

I do, however, think pursuing it to the top within LBG should work faster than the FOS.

As the FOS cannot demand a bank do business with anybody it's highly unlikely that route will be effective.

I'm looking for somebody to write to there that hopefully can help.

I posted a link to here on their Twitter page and someone sent me a PM saying they have no access to it so will I explain. I did but just silence.
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm looking for somebody to write to there that hopefully can help.

I posted a link to here on their Twitter page and someone sent me a PM saying they have no access to it so will I explain. I did but just silence.

PeacefulWaters has provided you with the e-mail address of the top man, LLoyds CEO. E-Mail him.

Write to them:

25 Gresham Street
    London
    EC2V 7HN
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income