ISA for both Funds and Shares?

Hi folks, I'm new to investing in stocks and am looking for a suitable ISA to hold investments in.
I'm after an ISA that offers me the opportunity to invest in funds to give me a diversified portfolio but that will also enable me to have a bit of fun and buy individual shares too.

Everything that I've seen so far seems to only offer access to funds. Does anyone know if there are products out there that do what I'm looking for?

Also all the funds seem to be actively managed when I would quite happily have a passive fund tracking an index at a much lower manager fee. Is that possible?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,979 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hi folks, I'm new to investing in stocks and am looking for a suitable ISA to hold investments in.
    I'm after an ISA that offers me the opportunity to invest in funds to give me a diversified portfolio but that will also enable me to have a bit of fun and buy individual shares too.

Everything that I've seen so far seems to only offer access to funds. Does anyone know if there are products out there that do what I'm looking for?

Also all the funds seem to be actively managed when I would quite happily have a passive fund tracking an index at a much lower manager fee. Is that possible?

Which providers have you considered so far? To the best of my knowledge, all the mainstream platforms support individual shares as well as funds, so Hargreaves Lansdown, Interactive Investor, AJ Bell, Charles Stanley, IWeb, etc, all do so for example.

They'll all offer passive tracker funds as well as actively managed ones - which passive trackers were you considering and who didn't provide them?
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    LikeEskbanker, dont know where you are looking as all the ones i know offer this.
    Are you perhaps looking at building societies or similar with simple and restricted ISA's?
  • pochisoldi
    pochisoldi Posts: 261 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

Before you go any further, and apologies in advance if I'm teaching you how to suck eggs....
    Do you really need an ISA for your share dabbling? (annual dividends >£2k or capital gains > CGT allowance)
    Note that if your dabbling doesn't pay off, and you make a capital loss inside an ISA you can't use that loss to offset any other capital gains.

If you want to go ahead, then consider making regular contributions to a new funds ISA using new money, and then opening a second ISA which you then fund with "old" money transferred from a previous years ISA for your share dabbling.

That way you can choose two ISA providers which meet your needs, rather than looking for an illusive one which isn't that good.

(I considered doing this some years ago, but I realised that the inability to carry forward CGT losses inside an ISA made the exercise pointless, I've just got a funds ISA fed with a monthly contribution)

PochiSoldi
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,607 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    pochisoldi wrote: »
    That way you can choose two ISA providers which meet your needs, rather than looking for an illusive one which isn't that good.

As above I don't think it is an illusive provider, all the mainstream ones allow you to hold different products inside an ISA. I have shares and funds inside my iWeb ISA
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,979 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    jimjames wrote: »
    As above I don't think it is an illusive provider, all the mainstream ones allow you to hold different products inside an ISA. I have shares and funds inside my iWeb ISA
    Agreed, although I suspect that that poster actually meant 'elusive' rather than 'illusive', a term that might be applied to a certain well-known provider of investment products dressed up to appear like cash deposits! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure