PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Ideas on how to be greener and save money

Comments

• Minihauk
    Minihauk Posts: 523 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Ilona wrote: »
    I never understand the passion for buying microfibre cleaning cloths. Surely it's more ethical to use the fabric you already have in the house, cut up into squares. Old sheets, towels, tea towels, clothes, anything. What did we do before these posh cloths were invented?

Ilona

I use old (and sometimes new) face flannels for cleaning. Perfect size and so easy to throw in the wash with tea towels, etc for a hot wash.
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Best place to start as horrid as it sounds is check your bin, look at what waste you are creating and what you can adjust, Eg do you have a lot of food waste do you need to adjust portion sizes at meals or buy less to begin with.
    Do you have a lot of half or unused cleaning/bathroom products, can these be used up, reduced or replaced with less harmful alternatives.
    Can any single use products be changed to reusable.
    Think what can you reduce, remove, reuse, repurpose or worse case recycle
    Don't try and build Rome in a day, we try and avoid plastic but it will take my lifetime to use up what we already have but it's counterproductive to bin everything for more Eco alternatives so we opted to replace only when necessary and reduced our consumption from the start.
    Good luck
  • We had those water filled 'hippo' things in our loo cisterns and ended up with a blocked drain which was very expensive to have unblocked. The man said there was not enough water going down with each flush to clear the drain properly. He said this is happening more and more especially with the new water saving toilets and the newer 'super strong' loo roll doesn't break down as easily either.
    Decluttering, 20 mins / day Jan 2024 2/2 
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Save water by only flushing the loo when needed. "If it's yellow, let it Mellow; if it's brown, flush it down!" Just wee and loo paper only need flushing every third go, and that's mainly because of the build up of toilet paper. (Assuming there is a female in the house .)

However, as a previous poster has stated, modern eco loos that use the minimum of water may not have the oomph to cope even with this.
  • Fen1 wrote: »
    Save water by only flushing the loo when needed. "If it's yellow, let it Mellow; if it's brown, flush it down!" Just wee and loo paper only need flushing every third go, and that's mainly because of the build up of toilet paper. (Assuming there is a female in the house .)

However, as a previous poster has stated, modern eco loos that use the minimum of water may not have the oomph to cope even with this.
    I use a waterless urinal. That is being sexist!
  • I use a waterless urinal. That is being sexist!

I think calling the poster sexist is a bit far. It’s a reasonable assumption to make that females would use toilet paper. I’d suggest almost all do. Intriguing as to what a waterless urinal is exactly.
  • Anyone tried alternatives for washing powder, dishwasher etc. I know a lot of them have micro beads and other nasty chemicals. The !!!8216;eco!!!8217; versions are a lot more money. Anyone made their own? Or used soap nuts?
  • Fen1
    I am female and use toilet paper whether I am doing a number one or number two. Therefore, if I have three wees in a row, I need to flush the loo as I have used loo paper.

My husband doesn't use loo paper after number ones ( not unusual for most males), so he could do any number of wees without flushing as the pan is not filling up with loo paper. Hopefully he would flush regularly, just for hygiene!

Women use toilet paper. Every time.

Jeez. I don't believe I've had to explain that......
  • Fen1 wrote: »

Women use toilet paper. Every time.

Jeez. I don't believe I've had to explain that......

I agree. It was pretty obvious why you were stating that, and definitely not sexist. Although apparently the other poster uses waterless urinal. Not sure what that is really. And not sure my environment and money saving aims would stretch that far to be honest.
  • Fen1
    Neighbours' wall?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business