Help with Charity magazine wants paid advertising

13»

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,018 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    HappySad wrote: »
    Virtually zero.
    Then I refer you to my post 11: someone thinks this is a great idea, but it probably isn't.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,636 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Slinky wrote: »
    You say 6000 readers, is that the number of printed copies, or say 2000 copies read by 3 people........ There's a huge difference.

What size is your publication? A4, A5?

I run a couple of A5 publications. My full page equivalent of a 6000 distribution would be about £150. Your rates are madness, given the difficulty of trying to get anybody to believe that your publication is genuine, with the number of charity mag scams about, I think you're on a hiding to nothing.

PS. When I started my business many years ago I made over 800 calls to fill my first publication.

I did think £1000 for a full page was a bit OTT, but have no experience of ad rates, so kept quiet.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I used to work on national magazines that didn't charge page rates that high! As an example, one with a circulation of 30,000 would regularly drop their page rate to £600.

Google well known magazines rate cards and then cut the price in half and that will give you some idea of what they are selling at.
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    HappySad wrote: »
    Readership is 6000. Adverts cost £350 for 1/4 page to £1,000 for a full page.

To your second question I don’t know the answer? How can I work out the conversion rate?

6000 and they want £350 for a quarter page?

Not a chance. I could get a half page in a 120,000 circulation, including on websites for around £4-450.

At best for that small readership I'd pay £100, and it's unlikely I'd repeat.

Have you seen how many impressions that would buy on facebook?!

You need to talk to them about reasonable expectations.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,018 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'm fairly sure you'd be able to find the rate card for the Big Issue online. I don't think it's as much as the OP has been told to ask for.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Humdinger1
    Humdinger1 Posts: 1,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    HappySad

Hello again - Humdinger here. I could well be wrong (and do please come back and let us know how you're getting on) but how I read it is this. Someone in the charity is wedded to the way things used to be. Companies would years ago spend commercially unjustifiable sums to show that they were good eggs and build rapport with potential customers. I say this as a charity supporter and voluntary case worker myself; since then several huge things have happened:

1. The tide is going out on print; there are other, more relevant ways to reach people. The mag will be costing more to print and send than you'll have been getting back in ad revenue for quite some time, I'm sure.
    2. Print ad prices have dropped like a stone in all titles.
    3. There are numerous charity ad scams doing the rounds, as mentioned by other posters.
    4. At the moment, the charity sector is in deep trouble because of the wave of abuse scandals just breaking re Oxfam and others; and because of the practice of hounding subscribers and passing on names of donors to other charities (new rules came in last year on this). If companies ever felt that they should pay unjustifiable prices for such ads, these events have destroyed that - why should people hand over money that, for all they know, could be used for reasons totally against the aims of the charity?

Now, I may be reading too much into this but how it looks to me is that you, a voluntary worker, are being asked to do the impossible: to help keep a castle in the air that's going to have to come down shortly anyway. These expectations being loaded onto you are based on an utterly unrealistic, badly-informed view of the world and how things "should" be. Instead of wasting your time and destroying your morale, it might be better to tackle the underlying assumptions and get the whole communications strategy onto a sensible footing, bearing in mind what;'s changed.

Why not show this thread to a few key people? You may be told that it's just a question of will-power, but as a pro in this sector, I can tell you that it's not - again, that's how it was 30 years ago. You have to have a proposition that gives supporters a tangible benefit.

As I said in my earlier post, I'm not trying to rain on your parade - it makes me cross to see your goodwill and labour squandered like this.

Please come back and let us know how it's all going.

Humdinger
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,636 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If the magazine is costing more to print and distribute than any possible income derived, i.e. from ads or increased donations, then surely in the interests of good management, the charity should cease publication.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    How many of the 6000 people have email and could receive the 'magazine' electronically, thus cutting out all the printing and postage costs?
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure