How much maintenance?

Hi,
My first time here and I hope someone can offer some insight please?
My ex and I split 9 years ago. We have 1 daughter aged 14.
In the last 9 years he has not paid maintenance regularly although he has given me £1000 here and there.
He was training for a career but had a bad accident a few years ago which left him unable to take this any further and had to give up the course.
He is 53 years old and so will be eligible for state pension in 14 years.
He has worked sporadically over the last years, giving up jobs after a few weeks saying that he cant be bothered working and is due his big claim and borrowing from his friends and family to survive.
In the last week he has received his claim and although I'm not 100% certain I have reason to believe that he is in receipt of £280000. This covers his injuries and loss of earnings.
He now wants to give me £100 a month for child maintenance.
He does not and never has our dd overnight and sees her approx. once per month for 1 hour where they go to a caf! for lunch.
He feels that £100 is more than sufficient as I earn £18500 and am in receipt of £157 TC and £82.80 CB.
I doubt very much that he will work again now that he has this money.
If I were to go through official channels would they take his claim payment into account or would they simply look at his yearly earnings, which will be nil and award me the minimum?
I guess my question is, is the £100 per month offer the best I am going to get from him?
Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• They don’t look at capital. They would look at any interest earned on the capital or dividends paid if invested, if the total unearned income derived from the interest/dividends etc was more than £2500 a year.

Based on what you’ve shared, I don’t think you’d get more than £100/month. Likely you’d get less.
    I often use a tablet to post, so sometimes my posts will have random letters inserted, or entirely the wrong word if autocorrect is trying to wind me up. Hopefully you'll still know what I mean.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure