CSA to CMS arrears confusion

Okay, here goes.

Child no longer qualifies for maintenance.
Received a CSA letter about arrears of £3500. I said I could pay £2000. They said fine if resident parent agreed
The resident parent didn't respond to any communications from the CSA. I haven't any contact details for her.
CSA said not much they can do especially as cases migrating the CMS Sept/Oct so advised to cease arrear payments and see if the resident parent contacts the CSA or CMS.

I've now received a CSA letter reminding me if the arrears abd it will be moving to CMS
I've also received a letter from the CMS about the arrears saying they intend to recoup them and that I should contact them and not wait to be contacted by them.

What do I do especially as the arrears are high and the resident parent wouldn't even reply to the CSA.

Also, let's say I have to pay to the resident parent.
Direct pay will be a problem as we've had no contact for 21 years.
Doesn't the resident parent have to contact the CMS to request payment/chase up of arrears and pay £20 in order to do so or is this chase up purely from the change from CSA to CMS?
I still have the bank details the CSA gave me to pay maintenance via bank transfer so would I use those for direct pay and avoid the 20% fee the CMS have for collect and pay.

Comments

• cte1111
    cte1111 Posts: 7,390
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My experience (from the other side) was that neither the CSA or CMS do anything at all without continual chasing and usually not until I put in a formal complaint.

If you know you have child maintenance arrears and have the money to pay them, then why haven't you? You said you've been given your ex partner's bank details, so go for it, clear your debt and support your child. Make sure you mark the payment(s) Child Support, so it is clear if this ever is challenged.
  • I only had the £2000 after borrowing it from my father. I gave it back after the resident parent failed to respond to any attempts of the CSA to contact her.

As it stands i cant afford the £3500 owed outright.

I'm not sure if the bank details are hers or the CSA (or am I being stupid)
  • Sambella
    Sambella Posts: 417
    I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    You will likely only be put on collect and pay if you don’t cooperate.

So as requested and contact the CMS they are likely then to arrange monthly payments direct and will let you know how to proceed. If they can’t contact her they will let you know what to do next. If they manage to get in contact with her then you will at least get up to date bank details for payment.

It won’t go away unless it’s either paid or they close the case.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure