REMO-Reciprocal Enforcement of Maintenance Order

Comments

• CakeCrusader
    CakeCrusader Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    Angrymum wrote: »
    Hi I'm new to this but was recently told by the reforming csa that my ex who has never paid me a penny currently owes me £26000 and that I should start the process by contacting Remo . I know my ex lives and works in the Isle of Man and earns a very good wage and our two kids are now grown up one of them working , at first I thought , no Iv struggled all these years without the money why bother , but then £26000 !!!! So I have looked up this site , is it worth all the hassle ?if I start this will it go on for years with no return apart from anguish on my behalf ? WHAT DO I DO ?

Hi, Angrymum.

The problem you have, is that the Isle of Mann, although governed by UK Law, it doesn't come under the jurisdiction of the CSA/CMS. Were the arrears from a Court Order, or from an order issued by the CSA?

All of the info and contact details that you need are here; https://formfinder.hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/remo020-eng.pdf

The Maintenance Enforcement Centre in Suffolk is incredibly slow, just to warn you. 26k is a lot of money, but there is a chance that you'll never see this so I wouldn't invest too much time and effort into it, if this makes sense (my ex owes me 5k and counting and I've spent 3 years waiting for the Maintenance Enforcement Centre to enforce the order, and I'm still waiting). It's worth a try though, unless it could drive you up the wall in the mean time.
  • Thought I'd document my journey here. Just sent initial enquiry form (simply opens an account for you) to the bury office, they inform me they're currently processing forms from 20th Feb 2017. Slooooowww and I imagine from reading here it'll only get slower.

NRP in France. Probably won't share address etc.
  • CakeCrusader
    Thought I'd document my journey here. Just sent initial enquiry form (simply opens an account for you) to the bury office, they inform me they're currently processing forms from 20th Feb 2017. Slooooowww and I imagine from reading here it'll only get slower.

NRP in France. Probably won't share address etc.

Complaining gets things moving, I've noticed. Mine was sent for enforcement last week, it's only taken the 3 years.
  • jaidenslot
    jaidenslot Posts: 176 Forumite
    I don't have anything to do with my ex and he has avoided paying for his 3 children for what seems since the dinosaurs became extinct! and now I'm not sure if he is working offshore or not.

While trying to convince me to accept £10 instead of the £28 a week payment that I received through 4 months of deductions of earnings I received last year he told me that he was hoping to work offshore in Norway. Payments stopped and I managed to get hold of him over facebook messenger(before he blocked me) and I was told he was working away and wouldn't be paying anything as I had my chance to have £10 a week!

Anyway now I'm at a loss what to do before giving up and admitting defeat! I'm not entirely sure hes actually working offshore as he isn't known for his truth telling and if he is I've no idea how to go about finding out where(might not be Norway) and what to do.

If I contact cms will they just close my case if I tell them I think he's working offshore or will they need proof? they haven't been able to trace him for 6 months so I suppose he maybe but he has a criminal record so not convinced.
    If he is working offshore is that classed as living and working abroad even if he lives with his girlfriend when hes on his days, weeks off?
    So after advice as really don't know where to start and if worth actually starting lol
    I don't even know where he lives just a general area!
  • Hi Everybody!

I'm in South Africa trying to get maintenance out of the UK. I've already received correspondence from 'Bury'. Unfortunately the whole process has taken over a year through the various diplomatic channels. They are now requesting a 'maintenance certificate'? I have sent a copy of my divorce decree which is an 'Order' of the high court. It clearly outlines details for maintenance payable which is a set amount and thereafter contributions to medical aid schooling sport etc. Recovery of maintenance is for 'cash' portion according to the correspondence. Surely an 'Order of the High Court' is above all other doc's. Please help...also am I able to approach UK directly since I now have a Ref. no.? Thank you!:)
  • kay123# wrote: »
    Hi Everybody!

I'm in South Africa trying to get maintenance out of the UK. I've already received correspondence from 'Bury'. Unfortunately the whole process has taken over a year through the various diplomatic channels. They are now requesting a 'maintenance certificate'? I have sent a copy of my divorce decree which is an 'Order' of the high court. It clearly outlines details for maintenance payable which is a set amount and thereafter contributions to medical aid schooling sport etc. Recovery of maintenance is for 'cash' portion according to the correspondence. Surely an 'Order of the High Court' is above all other doc's. Please help...also am I able to approach UK directly since I now have a Ref. no.? Thank you!:)

Hi, Kay. When they say a 'certificate' what they really mean is that they want you to let them know what the arrears are, and how much your ex owes you. All you need to do is write a letter or an email, giving dates of the payments and the amounts, with the total at the bottom, e.g;

1st Jan 2017 - paid £0 medical aid, paid £0 schooling. Outstanding £200.00
    1st Feb 2017 - paid £0 medical aid, paid £0 schooling. outstanding £200.00

Total amount outstanding - £400.00

The order from your court won't necessarily have this information on it, it will just say that your ex is supposed to pay X per month until X date. You should be able to approach the UK court directly, but they are very, very slow. I hope this helps. Best of luck! :)
  • I'm having the same problems my sons father is Spanish I have a Spanish court order, he is supposed to give me 300e pcm, but ive never had a penny
    this has been going on about 10 years now my son is 15 but I'm still on at them but just feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall
  • Kagsy
    Kagsy Posts: 1 Newbie
    Help please! I'm really confused!
    In my case I have moved to Spain with my youngest child. My daughter is in Uni and I support her. My middle son is in UK finishing his A'Levels and lives with his dad.
    We had a CSA agreement in place but that fell to pieces when I moved as my expartner refused to pay a penny towards the two I am supporting. I pay all flights for the children so they have contact with both parents - he refuses to pay a penny for anything. Would the REMO process still apply to me as the partner who moved to another country? And if so where do I start?!? Do I have to go through Spainsh courts first?
  • CakeCrusader
    Kagsy wrote: »
    Help please! I'm really confused!
    In my case I have moved to Spain with my youngest child. My daughter is in Uni and I support her. My middle son is in UK finishing his A'Levels and lives with his dad.
    We had a CSA agreement in place but that fell to pieces when I moved as my expartner refused to pay a penny towards the two I am supporting. I pay all flights for the children so they have contact with both parents - he refuses to pay a penny for anything. Would the REMO process still apply to me as the partner who moved to another country? And if so where do I start?!? Do I have to go through Spainsh courts first?

You're applying for it on behalf of your child, so you'd need to get in touch with the court where you are (so Spain). A REMO still applies, it's basically one country on a list enforcing maintenance orders made in a second country on the list, so it works both ways. You need to contact your local court and fill the forms in so they can make an order there. They will send them to the UK for enforcement.

Hope this helps!
  • CakeCrusader
    flossy123 wrote: »
    I'm having the same problems my sons father is Spanish I have a Spanish court order, he is supposed to give me 300e pcm, but ive never had a penny
    this has been going on about 10 years now my son is 15 but I'm still on at them but just feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall

It's a really slow process, I'm sorry. There's no time scales or limits in the legislation, so the courts in the other country can be as slow as they want. You can contact your MP, they are usually pretty helpful and can get things moving for you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback