PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old style telly and radio

Broomstick
Broomstick Posts: 1,648
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Forumite
edited 29 January 2012 at 2:21PM in Old style MoneySaving
Over the last few years I've been finding it harder to locate telly and radio that is relevant to the way we live now. So much 'entertainment' seems artificial and pointless. (We gave up live telly and the TV licence when our TV died in 2010 and only watch online after the broadcast now.) I wondered whether it was worth having a thread for any OS/MSE programmes that people notice... a sort of ongoing OS 'Radio Times' - not for criticism, just a list to flag up what is out there?.

I've just come across this late night book on BBC iplayer:
Deep Country by Nigel Ansell (serialised in 3x 15 min episodes late on Sunday nights)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01b8xcb/Deep_Country_Episode_1/
[Neil Ansell is in search of solitude. He takes up home in a dilapidated cottage in a very remote part of the Welsh countryside, on his own, with no electricity, gas or water. He has only wildlife around him for company as he makes the cottage habitable. Read by Matthew Gravelle.]

There's Superscrimpers on 4 which has it's own thread.

And Martin's current media work:
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/site/martin-lewis-biography#second

There's also, and I would count this as relevant because it shows how tough it was for many people 50-60 years ago in the East End of London, the serialisation of Jenny Lee's autobiography on BBC1 (6x 1 hour episodes - Episode 3 tonight}:
Call the Midwife
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01b2w7d/Call_the_Midwife_Episode_1/
Drama set in the 1950s, based on Jennifer Worth's memoirs. Newly qualified midwife Jenny Lee arrives in the East End to embark on a challenging career alongside an order of nuns.

Does anyone have more to add?

B x

Comments

• Our evenings are currently spent watching old episodes of Heartbeat and Born and Bred on ITV3!

Someone mentioned To the Manor Born the other day and I'm trying to track that down on DVD - sounds like good Sunday afternoon watching!
    Piglet

Decluttering - 127/366

Digital/emails/photo decluttering - 5432/2024
  • j.e.j.
    j.e.j. Posts: 9,672
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I'm also finding tv less and less inspiring these days. There are a few 'old style' or nostalgia programmes on some of the freeview channels, but they tend to run endless repeats.

I find radio has a much better selection and variety of programmes, but it depends on each person's taste.. For money advice you could try Radio 4's Money Box / Money Box live. Then there are book programmes like Open Book or A Good Read. Radio 3 also has some interesting stuff as well as classical music (which I know isn't to everyone's liking)

Also, you can often download radio podcasts for free. I just got David Attenborough on Desert Island Discs which I think i'll listen to tonight - better than anything that's on telly :)
  • bearcub
    bearcub Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    I watch very little tv these days. Like you, Broomstick, I'm finding Call the Midwife brilliant. As well as being an entertaining drama, if satisfies my passion for history - even if this history is from the time of my childhood!

I found the recent series on Sicily good, too, as I love Italy - sorry can't remembee the presnters' names. It included food, history and art - all worth watching. Countryfile can be a good programme, but imo, John Craven's highly aggressive style and some unbalanced reporting can spoil it somewhat. BBC4 sometimes has brilliant music programmes, especially on rock, but I can't abide radio in any form. I haven't the patience to listen to 'talk' and would rather choose my own music.

Basically, most tv just irritates me!
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    during the day - the tv is mine! (evenings are spent on here so OH watches what HE wants to watch).
    I find I alternate between True movies and Food Network with occasional sojourns to digital tv for such gems as Midsomer Murders or Lewis, I also like Flog It and Dickensons Real Deal (I have a lot of old 'stuff' and live in hopes that one of MY things will turn out to be priceless. my telly watching finishes with either 'Pointless' or Eggheads. Just to keep my brain sharp! That is, of course, when I am not watching CBeebies! (with 4 year old grandson I hasten to add).
  • adelight
    adelight Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    What about Antiques Roadshow? I absolutely love it! I really loved all the shows like life of grime and where clothes come from, I know it's "reality TV" but it showed you the inner workings of everyday things that you take for granted and wouldn't otherwise get to see.
    Living cheap in central London :rotfl:
  • Broomstick
    Broomstick Posts: 1,648
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    j.e.j., I listen to quite a lot of radio while I'm doing other things whether working or cooking or whatever, and I'm very fond of the Paul Temple serialisations to listen to while I sit and knit or sew - it's 'me' time!

Thanks for the reminder about the Attenborough Desert Island Discs. I listened to the anniversary programme and really enjoyed that. There are lots of old episodes I now want to follow up on the archive.

adelight, I'd forgotten about the antiques programmes. Thanks for that.

I've just seen that Ep 3 of Call the Midwife is now available on iplayer so I'm going to take a break from the work I'd started and watch that right now.:D

B x
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    I love Timeteam. channel 4.
  • bearcub
    bearcub Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    I love any programme with Neil Oliver presenting, and preferably history! ;)
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    I love Radio 4 extra - it has polished up a lot of old favourites - from Round the Horne (!) to One Foot in the Grave.
    I set to record the Crime & Thriller Hour every day, as I usually enjoy at least half of it, if not all.
    On Radio 4 I usually find that either Book of the Week or the Woman's Hour Serial worthwhile; and don't forget The Archers!
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    I watch An Island Parish, on iplayer. About the island of Barra. Wonderfully entertaining.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills