DVDs v. Streaming Films

Hi,

Does anyone have any tips when it comes to downloading or buying films?
We have for some years been free of physical DVDs or CDs but now our young daughter is here (and she wants to watch Frozen on repeat) I am thinking I need to reconsider! If I 'Buy' a film on Amazon effectively I'm only getting a license that can be played through their service.
I'm thinking of buying a small portable DVD/CD player for her and then buying DVDs instead, but it feels like a step backwards. What is everyone else doing?

Thanks!

T23

Comments

• McCreary
    McCreary Posts: 138
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    tekton23 wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone have any tips when it comes to downloading or buying films?
    We have for some years been free of physical DVDs or CDs but now our young daughter is here (and she wants to watch Frozen on repeat) I am thinking I need to reconsider! If I 'Buy' a film on Amazon effectively I'm only getting a license that can be played through their service.
    I'm thinking of buying a small portable DVD/CD player for her and then buying DVDs instead, but it feels like a step backwards. What is everyone else doing?

Thanks!

T23

I don't know how Amazon Fire devices work per se because I use Apple TV/iTunes but I am assuming you could get a Fire TV or Kindle Fire and lock it down to just have U/PG rate films show from your library? This would mean your daughter could watch the films digitally?
    'The journey home, is never too far...'

'Wasting money is an insult to people who don't have any'

Reducing my spending, one month at a time...
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,840
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I'm sure I already answered this?
    But I've gone thorough my posts and the OP's posts and I can't find it?!
    I'm now beginning to wonder if I dreamt it...?
  • I only buy DVD discs for some favored films :)
    I always make digital copies, so I can watch that both on the DVD player and on my portable devices/TVs.
  • tekton23 wrote: »
    If I 'Buy' a film on Amazon effectively I'm only getting a license that can be played through their service.
    Indeed there are several disadvantages to such an arrangement, not least of which is that you have to continue being a Prime subscriber in order to view your film in the future. It's the same with Sky or Virgin or BT etc.

Personally, I only ever purchase an individual film for streaming if I know I'll only watch it once and/or if I can't wait for it to become available on Blu-Ray. I should add that I have a large library of Blu-Ray discs which I continue to add to regularly.

If you are going back to DVDs you will only be able to watch in standard definition, so that may be something else you may want to consider....
  • Indeed there are several disadvantages to such an arrangement, not least of which is that you have to continue being a Prime subscriber in order to view your film in the future. It's the same with Sky or Virgin or BT etc.

Personally, I only ever purchase an individual film for streaming if I know I'll only watch it once and/or if I can't wait for it to become available on Blu-Ray. I should add that I have a large library of Blu-Ray discs which I continue to add to regularly.

If you are going back to DVDs you will only be able to watch in standard definition, so that may be something else you may want to consider....

Not true in Sky's and Virgin's case, Sky convert your account to a Skystore(?) account and the Virgin Media Store accounts aren't tied into your Virgin Media accounts in the first place (you don't even need a Virgin Media contract to open a VMS account).
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 31 December 2019 at 7:09PM
    Not true in Sky's and Virgin's case, Sky convert your account to a Skystore(?) account and the Virgin Media Store accounts aren't tied into your Virgin Media accounts in the first place (you don't even need a Virgin Media contract to open a VMS account).
    Since I'm certain Sky Q decoders and ALL Virgin Media decoders are recalled on cancellation, I'm also quite certain that non-customers will no longer be able to view their old PPV movies without those decoders..
  • Since I'm certain Sky Q decoders and ALL Virgin Media decoders are recalled on cancellation, I'm also quite certain that non-customers will no longer be able to view their old PPV movies without those decoders..

On the boxes that they no longer possess? You're probably right but of course they're not the only supported platform and the fact remains that the content is yours to view at any time.

PPV movies BTW suggests a rental movie, the Sky store movies and the VMS ones are buy to keep.
  • Neil_Jones wrote: »
    I'm sure I already answered this?
    But I've gone thorough my posts and the OP's posts and I can't find it?!
    I'm now beginning to wonder if I dreamt it...?

I answered a different thread and my post has disappeared too. A glitch with them getting ready for the switch I guess.

• PPV movies BTW suggests a rental movie, the Sky store movies and the VMS ones are buy to keep.
    Fair enough. I do think it was obvious I was referring to purchased movies rather than rental...
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,989
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I'm still buying DVDs of films I know I'll watch again, but converting them to watch easily on a laptop/tablet etc. For me, DVD is still good enough quality. especially on a small screen the OP suggests.
    If you want to cut down on her devces, and maybe she already has a tablet, then a dvd, ripped with BDlot (for example) to an ISO file will give dvd quality and play with a free program such as VLC and can be moved to different devices easily on a usb or SD card
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure