Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

Comments

• i just saved 25 pound per month just with a five minute call thank you mse
  • System
    System Posts: 178,076
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Talking to Sky CS is not one of the best experiences in life. I managed to cancel Sky Sports a month ago online (cricket season ending) but couldn't cancel multiscreen. Rang CS to ask about cancellation and re-instatement next year. I was told that re-instating multiscreen would require another minimum term contract. I wasn't happy about this but cancelled anyway. CS failed to mention that cancelling multiscreen would lead to a Sky Go Extra cost per month. As we never use this, I asked for this to be cancelled as well. After 10 minutes trying to sort out the future billing, CS added £50 as a goodwill gesture.
  • I re-negotiated my contract a couple of weeks ago. Was paying £57' down to £27 for 10 months on a 12 month contract. I got rid of multi-room (got sky go on the iPad anyway + still have freebies channels) but apart from that Same original package. £30 a month better off. spoke to a very nice Geordie chap and wasn't haggling for ages either. My advice is call them with a cheerful tone, no demands & they'll be on your side. Get their back up & they don't want to help you.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,466
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I've just given notice on my Sky tv (by phone) and was offered 50% immediately , on the Original package, as I said I wanted to downgrade from variety, anyway. However, it was for 10 months and I said I wasn't happy with 10 months, so wanted to cancel and would then negotiate about phone/bb in a few weeks, as \I have free line rental, at the moment.

The offer was half price tv, £7.50 broadband and £12 (something) line, plus my £5 call package; all for 10 months, so I declined, went ahead with cancellation and said I'd be in touch to see what offers were available, when I'd shopped around for phone/bb.

I will hold out for 12 months, as the 10 month deal is actually quite expensive. (They say you can renegotiate in 10 months' time, but they will offer little as they have you in minimum contract).
  • Last Wednesday I called to cancel my full HDTV/BB/Phone package. Offered various discounts up to about 35% - declined them all and said to go ahead with cancellation of TV.

Didn't get an offer through MySky so on Friday I did an online chat - said to the guy that I had 'seen' an offer for 60% off + £100 credit. After some back and forth he eventually agreed to it - including 60% off TV + HD. Initially said yes to £100 but then changed his mind and said he could only do £50. But I've checked my account and there is £100 credit there - so worth asking!

Couldn't do much on BB/Phone though so gonna try that separately.. But now paying £30.30 for full HD TV with movies + sports :)

Saving of £646.50 over the 12 months when you factor in the £100 credit! :j
  • Have been back on online chat and just agreed half price line rental + half price unlimited fibre for 12 months... So total monthly bill will be £48.50 for HD TV + Movies + Sports + Phone line + Unlimited Fibre! Would be 111.83 if paying full price so that's 63.33 a month saving or £760 a year! + £100 credit = £860 saving for the year :D:D:D
  • Been with Sky 12 months.
    I was only paying £89 for 3 boxes, full package, unlimited phone/broadband, HD.

I didn't realise the deal was only for 12 months. When I asked why my bill was over £120, they said the discount ended.
    I asked why they didn't tell me and they said I opted out of marketing. CHEAP TRICK.
    I said to cancel and they offered me the lot for £105.

I was wondering if I cancelled, how long before I can reverse it?
    Do they still ring you after a week or so after cancelling with a better offer?
    I'm only at this property for another 6 months, so can't switch...
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,466
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Anomalous wrote: »
    Been with Sky 12 months.

I didn't realise the deal was only for 12 months. When I asked why my bill was over £120, they said the discount ended.
    I asked why they didn't tell me and they said I opted out of marketing. CHEAP TRICK.

When you agreed to your package you would have been sent the terms and conditions, including the fact that the offer was for 12 months only.

They are not obliged to contact you when the offer is drawing to an end and if you refused marketing (ie letters /calls/emails) they would have no means of telling you anyway.

If you cancel, you can change your mind any time from then onwards and if the service is switched off, it can be reinstated the same day, instantly.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,489
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Anomalous wrote: »
    Been with Sky 12 months.

DON'T cancel the phone/bband and DON'T mention a house move!Once Sky instruct BT Openretch re phone/bband it'll go off and will be very difficult to get back.
    Cancel the TV portion, then ,when you got the inevitable contact ensure that you get a decent deal on the TV portion with NO tie in.
    You are a bit stuffed on the b/band plus phone because any other Company you move to, will want to tie you in for at least 12 months and will hit you with cancellation charges if you go early -better to carry on paying Sky for these services on a month to month basis til your move.
  • I called sky last night about line rental price increase.

I was in initially told that I couldn't cancel early because of the increase. I told the guy that this was inaccurate. He then put me through to the "cancellations team" who confirmed that I could cancel without any penalties.

When I explained that Talk Talk had fibre broadband and line rental for approximately £23 per month, I was offered line rental for 9.99 per month for 10 months (new 12 month contract). I already have a half price fibre deal for another 6 months so it works out at roughly £4 more per month than the Talk Talk deal but to me it's not worth the hassle of switching. I'm happy with that result for a 10 min phone call (for now).

I recommend haggling with Sky as I have done regularly over the years. If you don't get a good result, just try again another day until you do.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback