Furniture Deposit help

HI everyone

Have an issue with a large furniture shop. We went looking for a new faux leather corner settee on boxing day. We found one we liked but we wasn't sure about the measurements. We spoke to a sales assistant and he suggested we measured when we got home but talked us into leaving a deposit of £200 by debit card (which in hindsight was naive). We tried the measurements and found that the settee was slightly too big for our lounge. We returned to the store on Monday 30th Dec to double check the measurements and it was definitely too large, so we spoke to a different sales assistant to cancel the order and was told to contact the manager the next day as they could not deal with it. When we spoke with the manager he said that the fact we had not cancelled within 24hrs (which was not mentioned by the original sales assistant) we could not have our money back but could use it towards a different settee (which we couldn't see one we liked) as the shop had lost out because apparently the parts would have already been ordered (despite the fact we would have had to wait at least 9 weeks for it to be made).
Have spoken to their customer services who only confirmed that I could not have the money back and if i'm not happy to contact citizens advice.
Any advice would be much appreciated as I just need the money back for another settee.
Thank you.

Comments

• Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    This is nothing to do with stoozing.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    The store are correct. Look for another settee to use the deposit on.
  • Did you sign anything when you left the £200 deposit? Even if you're not due the deposit back I would still submit a complaint to the company. I don't think the original sales person should have asked you to leave a deposit knowing there was a chance the sofa would be too large and neglected to tell you about the 24 hour window unless you signed something to acknowledge this.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,611 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    This is nothing to do with stoozing.

I have moved to general credit card board
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,837 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    HI everyone

Have an issue with a large furniture shop. We went looking for a new faux leather corner settee on boxing day. We found one we liked but we wasn't sure about the measurements. We spoke to a sales assistant and he suggested we measured when we got home but talked us into leaving a deposit of £200 by debit card (which in hindsight was naive). We tried the measurements and found that the settee was slightly too big for our lounge. We returned to the store on Monday 30th Dec to double check the measurements and it was definitely too large, so we spoke to a different sales assistant to cancel the order and was told to contact the manager the next day as they could not deal with it. When we spoke with the manager he said that the fact we had not cancelled within 24hrs (which was not mentioned by the original sales assistant) we could not have our money back but could use it towards a different settee (which we couldn't see one we liked) as the shop had lost out because apparently the parts would have already been ordered (despite the fact we would have had to wait at least 9 weeks for it to be made).
    Have spoken to their customer services who only confirmed that I could not have the money back and if i'm not happy to contact citizens advice.
    Any advice would be much appreciated as I just need the money back for another settee.
    Thank you.

Two classic errors on your part here.

(1) Once you put down a deposit, your kind of committed, you should have just walked away.
    (2) On visit number 2, you should have insisted on cancellation been carried out there and then, or at least to be told what the cancellation policy was, never listen to salespeople, the clue is in the name.

You could try a written complaint, that may bare fruit, if not, kick up a mighty stink on social media, no company likes bad publicity, write to their CEO, if you make a fuss, and nuisance of yourself, your more likely to get your money back, than if you act like a shrinking violet.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • 2e0arr
    2e0arr Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 January 2020 at 5:29PM
    a 24 hr cancellation opportunity missed > That doesn't sound lawful to me ?

has the shop breached their contract with you in any way ?
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Putting down a deposit does not automatically make you so anything it all depends on the contract you are entering into

If you were not told you were entering a contract and not aware you're entering a contract and were not giving any terms and conditions then in my view you do not have a binding contract

If the facts are as you stated and it was just a holding deposit given to the salesman while you went home to do some measurements than that clearly is not a binding contract and was never meant to be

if it were me I would ask my bank for a chargeback and report the Firm to Trading Standards

If a chargeback does not work then you will have to take them to the small claims court which is a very easy process
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,352 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    18cc wrote: »
    if it were me I would ask my bank for a chargeback and report the Firm to Trading Standards

If a chargeback does not work then you will have to take them to the small claims court which is a very easy process

I'm struggling to think of a chargeback that will cover this.

In store deposit, so a 24 hour cancellation is more than generous.
    Surely OP must have some paperwork re deposit and what they were looking at ordering.

Also MallyGirl moved to CC forum when OP clearly said debit card. So consumer section would be better.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    18cc wrote: »
    If the facts are as you stated and it was just a holding deposit given to the salesman while you went home to do some measurements than that clearly is not a binding contract and was never meant to be
    The whole point of paying a deposit is to enter into a contract for the supply of goods/services.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure