Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Comments

• Just an update as my contract is up at the end of Feb.

Currently on VIP paying £89, got offered earlier today on Live Chat the oomph bundle for £99 for 12 months. Not sure if it's worth taking but I'm going to speak to retentions.
  • I've just signed up to sky for ultrafast broadband and anytime calls for £27 a month.
    Just received a call from virgin that sky have requested to port you number over and the best they can offer is £36 straight no.
  • Will I still get another call from them?
  • Hi all
    The best offer I got on my first call this year to 150 was a paltry £1.50 off what I'm currently paying! I'm currently on M70 Broadband, Player TV (Basic) and Talk Weekend, with a cost of £57.50. When our LineSaver expired and they purposely didn't notify when it needed renewal (and I forgot myself, which of course they wanted to happen), plus two price increases in the last 18 months, our bills have risen by nearly 20%. Compared to Realgonekid's retentions-threatening result five posts up, this offer is very bad.

I've been a customer since late 2000 (Was Telewest), so nearly 20 years, and this was the best they could do? Very poor.

Realgonekid, do you do haggle-for-hire? :)

Time to hit the other providers and see what is out there. Shame as the actual service is good, just very cute business practices.
  • Realgonekid
    Realgonekid Posts: 9
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 17 January 2020 at 7:01PM
    That does sound bad Fred.

Looks like the deal is relative to the offers on their screen to the package you are on, which doesn’t easily fit into any of their current ‘new customer offerings’.

If it helps to know. Last year I didn’t gain as much as I did this year, I think for that reason. In fact I think then they took 100MB off my broadband and removed a second V6 box before i prevented an increase. This year, when they market that are going to be doubling everyone’s broadband hey presto I get mine back.

This is definitely worth that second phone call, and more than likely you disconnect before they will be accommodating. Ask them what Mixit TV would cost? (the £33new customer deal)

Good luck.
  • irc
    irc Posts: 22
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    When I got my latest bill, £72 with a note a discount of £12 was ending Jan 27th it was time to call them

Package is Xl tv anytime calls, and I think 100 broadband. Told the Indian call centre guy I wanted a better deal. He said he couldn't talk until my discount was up. So mentioned leaving a got passed to detentions. Told him I was cutting back on household budget. No longer wanted and tv just broadband and phone. We have Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Best he could do was £70 per month.

Told him I was leaving but no change.
    I've signed up with Vodaphone for 65 fibre BB and phone being installed 7th Feb at £23 per month plus a £5 for anytime calls. Plus £100 Amazon vouchers.

So we are going. I've already had one call on the landline from them. My wife took that one so no idea what they would offer. But I'm leaving anyway. £70 for phone and broadband is an insult.

They are losing a customer since not days because of their silly !!!!!! pricing. I think they assumed they didn't need to offer much since I'd been with them that long
  • ScoobyZ
    ScoobyZ Posts: 485
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I've just move my father in law from them after 20+ years to Now Broadband. Saving him over £400 a year. Getting fed up with the polava of cancelling and haggling.

I might leave Virgin again this year and flick between the 'BT openreach' alternatives in future to avoid the line install (re-connection) charges. I moved to BT a couple of years ago and it was OK, slower speed but things did feel speedy.
  • Today been offered £28 for 100mps anytime calls or 200mbps anytime calls £33.
    Is 200 mbps worth it?
  • Phoned back and asked about what they could do about the price again, was told I could reduce my broadband speed to M50 from M70 as Virgin 'don't offer this anymore' which would save me £1.50 a month. I said that was a bit derisory for a customer of 20 years compared to new offers available these days. I needed to reduce my outgoings a lot more than this and asked about leaving, soI got put through to Customer Retentions in Swansea.

Long and short - Broadband upped to M100 (though I'm sure I read it was going to be universally applied soon), TV and phone the same, down from £57.50 to £41 for 12 months. Will have to go through the whole rigmarole again this time next year, though the lady said due to new regulations we'll be getting calls and emails from them saying we'll be back onto the 'standard' rate, whatever that would be in a years time with a further seemingly annual price rise and some sort of offer.

Happy with that, and no hassles switching to another provider. It'll do for the moment. Ta for the tips in this thread, all.
  • GTR_King
    GTR_King Posts: 1,788
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I pay £103 a month for the Umph Bundle it's up in July/August so looking to get it a bit cheaper...

Not fussed about movies as have access to Netflix/Amazon Prime. but I absolutely can't get rid of Sky Sports F1 not watching the Rubbish on Channel 4 have to watch it Live

would like Sky Sports Football F1 PL & Main Event maybe BT Sports
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure