DVDs v. Streaming Films

2»

Comments

• On the boxes that they no longer possess? You're probably right but of course they're not the only supported platform and the fact remains that the content is yours to view at any time.

PPV movies BTW suggests a rental movie, the Sky store movies and the VMS ones are buy to keep.
    Fair enough. I do think it was obvious I was referring to purchased movies rather than rental...

I'm not sure if you meant to post 'I do think it was obvious I was referring to rental movies rather than purchased...' because otherwise I'm confused what you are saying? If it was rentals then the fact that the boxes go back makes no difference unless you send them back before the 48 hour period is up.

If you did mean purchased movies then I can't see why you cropped out the first part of my post referring to the different platforms supported.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite

If you did mean purchased movies then I can't see why you cropped out the first part of my post referring to the different platforms supported.
    I think most people would prefer to watch their purchased movies on their television set if they originally bought from Sky, Virgin or BT. The fact is that they can't if they no longer subscribe to those services, although I accept they still can watch on tablet or smartphone etc...
  • seb345
    seb345 Posts: 15
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    My nieces are around 4 and we steam it when it comes down to it. We think it's okay since we use steaming services plus I do have a subscription for Disney plus and they do have a lot of cartoon haha
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,151
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    DVD's for me, only for movies I know I will watch on repeat and will love it to add to my collection - Marvel Universe for example or sequels. Also the bounus getting them from Amazon using gift cards which are free.

If I bought movies from a Playstation Store and decide to move on and switch to an Xbox for the new console. Then I have lost them (I do not keep old hardware once I got new).
  • renegadefm
    renegadefm Posts: 1,303
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I dont see dvds as a, step backwards, its only how society programs people into thinking that. What happens if you have an internet outage? I have Netflix but still play my dvds and blurays.
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    renegadefm wrote: »
    I dont see dvds as a, step backwards, its only how society programs people into thinking that. What happens if you have an internet outage? I have Netflix but still play my dvds and blurays.

DVD's are poor quality when your used to watching HD and 4K content. So i see buying DVD's as kind of pointless because you would only buy them for films you want to watch again and if you enjoy watching them why would you want them in a poor quality format?.

I stopped buying DVD's around 2008 which was 2 years after Blu-Ray disks with HD content came out. But i went straight to storing all my films on a media server. This is by far the best way to keep films you want to watch again and again.
  • renegadefm
    renegadefm Posts: 1,303
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I dont find DVD's are poor quality personally. I play my DVD's via my blueray player and it upscales the quality. I can hardly tell the difference between DVD'S and blueray now.
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I dont find DVD's are poor quality personally. I play my DVD's via my blueray player and it upscales the quality. I can hardly tell the difference between DVD'S and blueray now.

Upscaling is ok but it can't add detail that isn't there in the first place. If you had a decent TV and Blu-Ray player then the difference between a DVD and a 4K Blu-Ray would be staggering.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,151
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite

Me neither, i use my PS4, and if there are things I'm missing then so be it. I can't miss what I don't know (if that makes any sense), Dvds are cheaper and that's a bonus ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure