Royal Fail postal service opening my mail !! What to do?

Comments

• Nine_Lives
    Nine_Lives Posts: 3,031 Forumite
    Personally, i doubt it. I'm in agreement with dacouch.

Well as i don't find the RoyalFail website very helpful, i'm going to have to go into my local Post Office on Tuesday when i get some time off work & ask them what they advise as i'm still not happy about this.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    whats ther postage on the envelope?
  • Nine_Lives
    Nine_Lives Posts: 3,031 Forumite
    It says "Advanced Mail Second Class"
  • edgex
    edgex Posts: 4,177
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    K_P83:
    that looks like its the envelope thats come apart somewhere in the entire mail system. the edges of the envelope are actually weaker, as when paper is folded & creased, it breaks the fibres along that line, weakening it.

youll need to give them all the information on the envelope, as not all post is sorted by RM, business post can be collected & sorted by private firms, then put into the RM system.

MuckyDucky:

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content1?catId=15500181&mediaId=15500191

yes, they can & will open items being sent through the postal system
  • davidlizard
    davidlizard Posts: 1,582
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    We have exactly this problem - just about anything of interest arrives opened. Same with the neighbours post.

I have contacted the police who told me it was a royal mail issue and we should approach them. We contact the royal mail and get a fob off with "only a tiny proportion of the post is affected" and "anything of value should be sent registered post".

I recommend:

1. Switch as many accounts (banks, insurance) to a paperless/online service.
    2. Let all friends know that you have a serious theft problem and they should not send anything of value.
    3. Tell banks/credit card companies that you have a serious theft problem and request updated cards be collected from your branch.
  • cheapscate
    cheapscate Posts: 530 Forumite
    I recommend:

1. Switch as many accounts (banks, insurance) to a paperless/online service.
    2. Let all friends know that you have a serious theft problem and they should not send anything of value.
    3. Tell banks/credit card companies that you have a serious theft problem and request updated cards be collected from your branch.

good advice! I also ask people to send obvious birthday cards (often coloured envelopes) inside a plain envelope to disguise what it is - even if there is nothing included with the cards I dont want them opened by Royal Mail to check.

Another idea is to have things sent to addresses that don't have their mail tampered with - perhaps a relative or work address.
  • moneysaver100_2
    moneysaver100_2 Posts: 17 Forumite
    edited 4 January 2010 at 1:36PM
    Hi

I am really glad I found this thread - I am getting a little frustrated with Royal Mail opening my letters too !

Last year I noticed that some of my parcels were being opened, usually the ones delivered to the house directly were OK, but often when I had to go pick them up form the sorting office I would find they were partially opened.

So I started looking more closely at stuff I collected and noticed that parcels were often opened "just enough" to reveal the contents. So for example I bought a metal detector and the packaging was ripped just enough to reveal the name of the item on the box. This happened a few times, always the parcel was opened just enough to reveal its contents, obviously intentionally, and usually when it had sat in my local sorting office a few days !

Then in December stuff started going missing, 2 cards one containing a cheque and the other cash (yes I know I know !) both disappeared off the face of the earth. I rang and put in a formal complaint, and Royal Mail put a watch on my Mail.

Then this morning I got a letter that’s been intentionally opened and read (there was a card sent folded up inside the letter, the card is now separate). Its definitely been torn open, far too precise for an accident, the contents have been removed, shuffled through and put back.

I rang Royal Mail again, quoted the reference from my last complaint and asked them if "the Watch" they put on had spotted anything.

Guess what, they had no record of a watch being in place, even though they did have a record of them promising to do that for me in December.

Scary stuff, I don’t like the thought of someone (perhaps someone who knows me by name ?) going through my mail and stealing whatever he likes. And Royal Mail seem powerless to stop them !!!

Finally in this rant, I did once get a parcel that had been damaged/opened by a machine fault, Royal Mail had repackaged it in plastic and had put a covering letter with it apologising and offering to pay for any damage (there was none). Which I thought was pretty straight of them.

Its EASY to spot when a letter or parcel has been partially or fully opened during the delivery process, a good postie or sorting office will follow procedure and repackage the item with a covering letter. A bad postie or sorting office will have been the ones who actually OPENED it in the first place and will thus try and pretend it never happened.

There is no doubt at all in our minds that someone, probably at our local sorting office, is opening our mail and stealing anything valuable (our bills are never opened/stolen sadly), and we will do everything in our power to catch them and prosecute them to the full extent of the law.
  • custardy
    Forumite
    Its EASY to spot when a letter or parcel has been partially or fully opened during the delivery process, a good postie or sorting office will follow procedure and repackage the item with a covering letter. A bad postie or sorting office will have been the ones who actually OPENED it in the first place and will thus try and pretend it never happened.[/FONT]

There is no doubt at all in our minds that someone, probably at our local sorting office, is opening our mail and stealing anything valuable (our bills are never opened/stolen sadly), and we will do everything in our power to catch them and prosecute them to the full extent of the law.

great in theory but as is often the case we have no damage bags or bags of the right size
    also what if the package splits/tears in your bag on delivery? no damage bags on the street
  • custardy
    Forumite
    K_P83 wrote: »
    It says "Advanced Mail Second Class"

so not handled its whole journey via royal mail then
  • Custardy I arnt even going to begin an arguement with you mate I see your type on Forums all the time. Fact is I dont give a toss about your beleagued opinion. My mail is being opened byt he post Office, and stuff is being stolen. End of story.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure