Comments

• poppy10_2
    poppy10_2 Posts: 6,574
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    incogni2 wrote: »
    I bet you have an iPhone ;)
    I'm afraid so! (Working at the time.)

Dear oh dear. This guy is an embodiment of what is wrong with today's want-it-all-right-now generation.
    poppy10
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    I thought that I should, as a result of many vociferous comments, investigate the idea of getting rid of Sky (just in case, I've paid for February now, but if I don't find work in the next 3 weeks).

I've been messing around with an internal antenna (which I bought ages ago but I believe it to be of good quality) and can't get any reception whatsoever. Does anyone have any suggestions? I could go Freesat but I'd have to buy/acquire a box. (This is, at least, a money saving question.)

One off payments for a dish/freesat fit with with the earn to spend stratagy
    but regular payment(to sky) don't they need ongoing income

Can you get the footy online delayed or does it have to be live?
  • incogni2
    incogni2 Posts: 51 Forumite
    One off payments for a dish/freesat fit with with the earn to spend stratagy
    but regular payment(to sky) don't they need ongoing income

Can you get the footy online delayed or does it have to be live?

I was just trying to understand (for the purposes of gaining a broader perspective) the repercussions of not receiving the football at all and ditching Sky completely. However, as pointed out by another poster, I have a 12 month contract with Sky which runs until mid-June.

The guy also suggested that I could simply use the dish, without payment to Sky, in order to receive the regular channels (i.e. I wouldn't need the additional receiving equipment I had originally supposed). But I still have that contract at the moment.
  • incogni2
    incogni2 Posts: 51 Forumite
    poppy10 wrote: »
    Dear oh dear. This guy is an embodiment of what is wrong with today's want-it-all-right-now generation.

Jeez, you people are hard taskmasters indeed if the mortgage-free and debt-free (at that time) are to be condemned for spending their wages on a phone (or pretty much anything they like for that matter).
  • Kez100
    Kez100 Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    What the problem people have with your expensive subscriptions is that you have never saved to help if you ever hit a rainy day - not even when earning. Your borrowing is massive and you really needed to work towards some savings as a buffer when you were earning not spend every penny. If you had saved then you would have had more chance in surviving this mess.

You are by no means the only ones but you have to get your head around this keeping up with the Jones, and fast.
  • beecher
    beecher Posts: 2,497 Forumite
    I was just trying to understand (for the purposes of gaining a broader perspective) the repercussions of not receiving the football at all and ditching Sky completely. However, as pointed out by another poster, I have a 12 month contract with Sky which runs until mid-June.

The guy also suggested that I could simply use the dish, without payment to Sky, in order to receive the regular channels (i.e. I wouldn't need the additional receiving equipment I had originally supposed). But I still have that contract at the moment.

You can still go down to the basic channels plus HD which would save a bit. I'd phone up Sky, explain that you're out of work and that you need to save money. They may offer you some sort of deal so might be worth it.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,865
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Jeez, you people are hard taskmasters indeed if the mortgage-free and debt-free (at that time) are to be condemned for spending their wages on a phone (or pretty much anything they like for that matter).

You just don't get it.

Spending your wages is fine if you have money aside to meet all your regular bills. Committing yourself to further expenditure - like taking on contracts for sky & phones - is only OK if you have set money aside to pay the contracts.

I thought the point of contracting working was that you earned more when working but had no holiday / sick/ insurance benefits so had to make your own provisions. You also have to set money aside for times when you are not working.

Spending your contract earnings as if they are PAYE is asking for trouble.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • uzubairu
    uzubairu Posts: 1,200
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    Kez100 wrote: »
    What the problem people have with your expensive subscriptions is that you have never saved to help if you ever hit a rainy day - not even when earning. Your borrowing is massive and you really needed to work towards some savings as a buffer when you were earning not spend every penny. If you had saved then you would have had more chance in surviving this mess.

You are by no means the only ones but you have to get your head around this keeping up with the Jones, and fast.

I think he has got that message.

I too find his actions rather reckless , but in all fairness, there are many more people living like him who are yet to come unstuck.

I work with people who earn a lot more than me, and their finances are poo.
    I have colleagues who would not be able to get by without overtime (which has been cut at work) and they are earning over £30K.

Too many people live beyond their means for a variety of reasons. In this current economic climate, the cracks may start to appear.

Although I agree with a lot of what has been posted on this thread (I'm a self-confessed MFW), a lot of the replies are from people who would never in a million years end up in a situation as the OP, and some of their replies have been IMHO unhelpful.

Pouring scorn on his actions that have got him into this sorry mess doesn't help him one bit.
    If this almighty mess doesn't teach him the lessons of money management he should have learnt many years ago, then nothing will.

incogni2 -The Debt Free Wannabe forum will provide you with a lot more support from people who have experienced what you are going through now and understand what needs to be done to get through it.
  • Kez100
    Kez100 Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    uzubairu wrote: »
    I think he has got that message.

I too find his actions rather reckless , but in all fairness, there are many more people living like him who are yet to come unstuck.

I work with people who earn a lot more than me, and their finances are poo.
    I have colleagues who would not be able to get by without overtime (which has been cut at work) and they are earning over £30K.

Too many people live beyond their means for a variety of reasons. In this current economic climate, the cracks may start to appear.

Although I agree with a lot of what has been posted on this thread (I'm a self-confessed MFW), a lot of the replies are from people who would never in a million years end up in a situation as the OP, and some of their replies have been IMHO unhelpful.

Pouring scorn on his actions that have got him into this sorry mess doesn't help him one bit.
    If this almighty mess doesn't teach him the lessons of money management he should have learnt many years ago, then nothing will.

incogni2 -The Debt Free Wannabe forum will provide you with a lot more support from people who have experienced what you are going through now and understand what needs to be done to get through it.

With respect the OP has been advised, on here, time and time again that a SOA and DFW is the way to go. For whatever reason he chooses to remain here.
  • jamief
    jamief Posts: 303
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm not really sure what kind of magical bullet the OP was expecting when he came here.

Not willing to cut expenditure. (seriously, anyone who says "I'm not willing to cut Sky down beyond...." deserves NO help. You DO NOT need football, and that is coming from a lifelong football fan. If I had to give it up to help towards a huge mortgage deficit, I most certainly would).
    Not willing to seek alternative employment.

Well, what is left? I can't really think of anything. Maybe get some new credit cards and keep hoping that working on an Open Source project will bring in the money. Whilst working on a O/S project is commendable (I do the same), surely the time would be better spent looking for something that pays? The ONLY solution to your problem just now is to earn money - you can't do that by contracting, so you need to do something else UNTIL you find a contracting job. Either that, or your house will be repossessed by the end of the year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure