Options

Comments

• OceanSound
    OceanSound Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 31 July 2019 at 7:33AM
    Options
    Alexland wrote: »
    .....If you are only after the bonus then you are low risk so it is unlikely you lose more than the bonus...
    Which investment style did you pick when you had a little dabble with wealthify?:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=75999683&highlight=wealthify+returns#11

I'm now thinking of switching to 'cautious', since my goal is to safeguard both the incentive and investment. I've not yet made the initial payment, so am free to give it up. (I remember reading in one of their emails that if the plan is not funded within 3 months, it will automatically close)

BTW, contacted support last night and they said changing risk level down only takes a message/phone call. Whereas, when changing risk level up, we have to go through the suitability questionnaire again.

I'm wondering, because 'cautious' has much more of a stake in bonds, would a interest rate hike (can't imagine it to be more than 0.5% hike within 1 year) affect returns drastically?
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    When I do S&S intro offers I usually go with the middle risk factor as if the money hadn't been invested with the robo it would have otherwise been invested for the long term at higher risk in one of my main accounts.

If interest rates go up then the interest payments from the existing investment bonds you hold become less attractive so your bonds are worth less on the second hand market. They are supported by their eventual redemption value. Short dated bonds are less volatile as most their second hand value is much closer to the final redemption value

Alex
  • sendu
    sendu Posts: 131 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    OceanSound wrote: »
    Which portfolio/plan?...do you have a link to the comparison page please.

The comparison page I was referring to was linked and discussed above:
    https://www.boringmoney.co.uk/learn/learning-paths/meet-the-robos/
    I seem to have a graph covering the period 12 February 2016 – 11 February 2017:
    https://www.wealthify.com/blog/wealthify-s-12-month-results

Maybe together with your 2018 one year period, we can get some idea how plans performed over two years (albeit not a continuous two year period)?

I also already linked their lifetime performance results (3 years). Here it is again: https://www.wealthify.com/blog/three-year-performance-results

If you like the short term stability offered by a low percentage of equity, you can still invest in a global index tracker at a low %, and keep the rest as cash in a high interest savings account (since these are beating safe bonds right now), or invest in an ETF of short duration UK Gilts.

Just 2 things to buy and rebalance each year. Would take a few minutes.
  • OceanSound
    Options
    Alexland wrote: »
    When I do S&S intro offers I usually go with the middle risk factor as if the money hadn't been invested with the robo it would have otherwise been invested for the long term at higher risk in one of my main accounts.
    Re. your post in other thread:
    ...I noticed a few months later and could have contacted them to resolve but couldn't be bothered so just closed the account withdrawing £50.

How come you withdrew exactly £50 (£25 investment + £25 Bonus). i.e. how come there was no loss or profit after a few months?
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There was a tiny profit but I didn't think it was worth mentioning. Similarly our youngest son just made an 83p profit on his £30 Onefamily Junior ISA which we only opened for the £80 Topcashback which has now paid so the account is transferring to Vanguard.
  • OceanSound
    edited 5 August 2019 at 1:19PM
    Options
    Has anyone experienced delays with deposits being credited to your wealthify account?

I can somewhat understand that it can take 3-5 working days for a bank deposit (transfer) to reach them. However, happen to see that some users have said wealthify guarantees payment processing within 10 working days.

Not sure if this is in addition to the 3-5 working days or what. Anyway, 10 working days seems rather long, particularly if you have a large investment (as that money is kinda in limbo).

update: the 10 working days must be the total, because i've just seen on the wealthify FAQ that they will invest your money in 2 working days (wd's) and that it may take a couple of extra days for it to appear on the dashboard. So, up to 7 wd's for money to be invested? (5 days max for money to reach wealthify then 2 wd's for it to be invested)
  • OceanSound
    Options
    OceanSound wrote: »
    I can somewhat understand that it can take 3-5 working days for a bank deposit (transfer) to reach them...
    Just remembered only BACS payments take up to 3 working days these days.
  • VXman
    VXman Posts: 520 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have been with wealthify since sept 2018 Initially invested £5000 and then Added £1000 a couple of months later. Added 10k last August.

I've invested at the 'confident' level. Growth since Sept 18 has been 7 %. And 9% in the last 12 months.

I have 100k sitting in low interest instant access accounts. Tempted to put more into wealthify. Knowing me it would just plunge the day after I put it in though!
  • Jemsnation
    Options
    VXman said:
    I have been with wealthify since sept 2018 Initially invested £5000 and then Added £1000 a couple of months later. Added 10k last August.

I've invested at the 'confident' level. Growth since Sept 18 has been 7 %. And 9% in the last 12 months.

I have 100k sitting in low interest instant access accounts. Tempted to put more into wealthify. Knowing me it would just plunge the day after I put it in though!
    This is comforting. I have just opened up an account today. Will just be small amounts for the time being but will build up.
    Opinion Panel £50 Lightspeed: £40 Pigsback: £303 Valued Opinions: £365 Media Transfer: £32 Juicy Brains- £30 American Consumer Opinion: £16 Freebie Networks: £220 Cashback Sites: £1503.87 Competitions: £200 Total Cash Value: £2759.87 Last updated: April 2023
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    VXman said:

This is comforting. I have just opened up an account today. Will just be small amounts for the time being but will build up.
    Do not that an economic cycle is over 10 years nowadays.   So, less than 12 months is not really a good guide to returns.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback