Blue Badge 'police'

Comments

• lyniced
    lyniced Posts: 1,880 Forumite
    Luckyred wrote: »
    It happens to me quite often. People accuse me of not looking disabled...... thats probably a reasonable assumption because I am not disabled but my mum is so we park in the disabled spaces as she has a BB. She waits in the store while I put her shopping in my car.

Sometimes I sit in the car when my daughter goes to the shops for me (if I'm feeling too tired to use the wheelchair) with my head down, not wanting to make eye contact with anyone in case I get disapproving looks.
    Me transmitte sursum, caledoni
  • veryunsure
    veryunsure Posts: 249 Forumite
    lyniced wrote: »
    Sometimes I sit in the car when my daughter goes to the shops for me (if I'm feeling too tired to use the wheelchair) with my head down, not wanting to make eye contact with anyone in case I get disapproving looks.

The trouble is you will get someone tell you that BB rules don't allow that.

As happened to me when I arrived back at the car 5 mins before my daughter and this person assumed I'd been sitting in the car since we arrived. I'd gone into the chemist near to the space while DD had gone to the bank.
  • lyniced
    veryunsure wrote: »
    The trouble is you will get someone tell you that BB rules don't allow that.

As happened to me when I arrived back at the car 5 mins before my daughter and this person assumed I'd been sitting in the car since we arrived. I'd gone into the chemist near to the space while DD had gone to the bank.

Yes, this has happened to me - a traffic warden said that we had misused the badge but after some phoning up the council discovered he was wrong. It says in the rules on page 8 -

Do not allow other people to use your badge to do something on your behalf such as shopping or collecting something for you, unless you are travelling with them.
  • i also am a bb holder, im 30 something with 3 kids, one being a baby, and i have a heart condition. i rarley use my bb, because of that very fact, im to scared to!!
    i have no idea what i would do or say if someone was to challenge me, either cry or explode!! but i really i do not want the stress of it!
    3 wonderfull kids :female::female::male:, 1 fab hubby :heart: , 2 beautifull cats and 1 very large dog = my family!
    :grouphug:
  • lyniced
    i also am a bb holder, im 30 something with 3 kids, one being a baby, and i have a heart condition. i rarley use my bb, because of that very fact, im to scared to!!
    i have no idea what i would do or say if someone was to challenge me, either cry or explode!! but i really i do not want the stress of it!

Oh thats so sad - its awful that you feel you can't use your badge.
  • Limana68
    Limana68 Posts: 486 Forumite
    My hubby is only 49 and we get the ''looks'' all the time when we park in a disabled bay. The hubby gets out and has walking stick and then we start getting his scooter out of the boot,and I think it tends to sink in for the people looking.

We have just got used to it now and dont bother getting frustrated, as I think its their problem not ours!

Li xx
  • ramsas
    ramsas Posts: 146 Forumite
    Stupid people like this really are annoying,she was immediately jumping to the conclusion that you don,t look disabled!!!! the only person disabled in this instance is the clown claiming it to be her god given right to oversee all things relating to disabled parking.I to have had this scenario has have countless others who have fallen prey to nasty old people who seem to be blinkered in their approach to anyone younger than them having a disability.Why they choose to be like this I do not know,what I do know is that I need to be left alone by people like this.
    Loyal to those deserving!!.
  • lyniced
    Limana68 wrote: »
    My hubby is only 49 and we get the ''looks'' all the time when we park in a disabled bay. The hubby gets out and has walking stick and then we start getting his scooter out of the boot,and I think it tends to sink in for the people looking.

We have just got used to it now and dont bother getting frustrated, as I think its their problem not ours!

Li xx

I have a scooter too, which only my husband can get out of the car, as it's too heavy for my daughter. I like the scooter, as it gives me more independence.
  • pwales_2
    pwales_2 Posts: 523 Forumite
    edited 31 July 2010 at 7:07PM
    Yes, this has happened to me - a traffic warden said that we had misused the badge but after some phoning up the council discovered he was wrong. It says in the rules on page 8 -

Do not allow other people to use your badge to do something on your behalf such as shopping or collecting something for you, unless you are travelling with them.
    you better re check that because official site says thats missuse and liable for £1000 fine see below...
    The Blue Badge Scheme only applies to on-street parking.
    Badge holders may park on single or double yellow lines for up to three hours in England and Wales, except where there is a ban on loading or unloading.
    There is no time limit for parking on yellow lines in Scotland. Where a time limit is in force, you must display both the Blue Badge and the blue parking clock, set to show when you arrived.
    Badge holders may park for free and for as long as they need to at on-street parking meters and pay-and-display machines.

While the scheme operates throughout the UK, there are small variations in its application in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. Please see the relevant website for further information. The information on this page relates to England unless specified. Where the scheme does not apply

The Blue Badge Scheme does not apply to off-street car parks, private roads and at most airports.
    You can find airport plans showing the location of parking spaces for disabled people on the Blue Badge map.

The scheme does not fully apply in four central London boroughs:
    • City of London
    • City of Westminster
    • Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea
    • part of the London Borough of Camden
    You can find Blue Badge bays in these central London areas on the Blue Badge map. Displaying the Blue Badge

You should display your badge on the dashboard or facia panel of your car where it can be clearly read through the windscreen. The front of the badge should face upwards, showing the wheelchair symbol.
    When no parking concessions are being used, badges should be removed from view.
    The associated time clock only needs to be displayed when you are parking on yellow lines or in a Blue Badge parking bay that has a time limit. In both cases, you should set the clock to show the quarter hour period during which the period of exempted waiting began and display it next to your badge on the dashboard or facia panel.

London Congestion Charge

Blue Badge holders do not have to pay the London Congestion Charge. You must register with Transport for London (TfL) at least ten days before your journey and pay a one-off £10 registration fee. You can download a registration form from the TfL website.
    Telephone: 0845 900 1234
    Textphone: 020 7649 9123
    Toll concessions

Blue Badge holders and other disabled people are exempt from tolls at certain river crossings, bridges and tunnels. In most cases, you will have to apply in advance to qualify for a concession.

There is some information about tolls on the Blue Badge map. Using your Blue Badge abroad

Blue Badges can be used throughout the UK and in some other European countries.
    The UK has agreed parking arrangements with other European Union (EU) countries and some other European countries, so you may be able to use your Blue Badge abroad. There are currently no arrangements with countries outside Europe.
    The EU publishes a booklet with detailed information about the use of the Blue Badge in European countries. The booklet can be downloaded from the Department for Transport website.

When travelling outside Europe, it is best to take your badge with you and check in the areas you are visiting to see whether you are entitled to use your badge. Please see below for further information on using the badge in non-EU countries. Showing a Blue Badge for inspection

Enforcement officers are allowed to inspect Blue Badges. Enforcement officers include:
    • police officers
    • traffic wardens
    • local authority parking attendants
    • civil enforcement officers
    These people should produce an identity card with their photograph on it to prove they are who they say they are.
    If an enforcement officer asks to see your badge, you must show it to them. If you do not, you will be breaking the law and could be fined up to £1,000.
    Enforcement officers are not allowed to take away a Blue Badge. Only the police can seize Blue Badges.

Blue Badge advice line

The Blue Badge advice line is provided by the Community Transport Association.
    The Blue Badge advice line can offer general information and advice, as well as details about using the Blue Badge abroad, toll concessions and more.
    Telephone: 020 7944 2914 or 0161 367 0009
    Email: [EMAIL="blue.badge@dft.gsi.gov.uk"]blue.badge@dft.gsi.gov.uk[/EMAIL]

Misuse of the Blue Badge

Local councils can take away a badge if the badge holder misuses it - for example, by allowing other people to use it.
    If you have a badge, it must only be used for your benefit. If a trip is for someone else and you are a passenger and staying in the car, you cannot use the badge to let them benefit from free parking.
    It is an offence for people other than the badge holder to take advantage of the parking concessions provided under the scheme. The maximum fine if someone is convicted is £1,000 plus any additional penalty for the related parking offence.
    If you think that a Blue Badge is being misused, report the matter to your local council. Try to get as many details as possible from the badge on display (name, serial number, expiry date etc). The council will investigate and take action if the badge can be shown to be displayed fraudulently.
  • lyniced
    yes, it was on street parking
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business