Wage issues

I recently have had my salary "appraisal", although it was more of a dictation. Although I was told there would be some negotiation involved, there wasn't.

So after pulling me in on Friday at 4.55, I was given a £500 pay rise (up from £12250)

However, there is a girl in my office who isn't as qualified as me, has less experience in the field, and worse exam results at GCSE's and A-Levels. However, she went to university (and dropped out without gaining any qualifications), whereas I haven't, and she was on £14000 for doing the same job (with less experience) before her appraisal. I'm guessing she is on £14500 now.

Obviously, I'm miffed, and took this issue to my partners, but could only squeeze an extra £250 out of them, taking my total salary to £13000.

I work in accountancy as an accounts clerk and have passed Level 1 of my ACCA, whereas she has yet to pass her exams on the lower accountancy qualification (AAT).

I was told that her salary was nothing to do with me, although I disagree. After a discussion with my partners, I was told the reason I was being paid less was that I am younger and have less "life experience", which would aid me in my job.
However, it is quite clear that, due to my training, I am more capable of doing my job than her, and fail to see what advantage this "life experience" gives her in comlpeting accounts for small businesses.

Can anyone advise me on what to do, other than search for a job where I am actually paid what I am worth, as there is no doubt I will be doing that.

Comments

• jessicamb
    jessicamb Posts: 10,446
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I recently have had my salary "appraisal", although it was more of a dictation. Although I was told there would be some negotiation involved, there wasn't.

So after pulling me in on Friday at 4.55, I was given a £500 pay rise (up from £12250)

However, there is a girl in my office who isn't as qualified as me, has less experience in the field, and worse exam results at GCSE's and A-Levels. However, she went to university (and dropped out without gaining any qualifications), whereas I haven't, and she was on £14000 for doing the same job (with less experience) before her appraisal. I'm guessing she is on £14500 now.

Obviously, I'm miffed, and took this issue to my partners, but could only squeeze an extra £250 out of them, taking my total salary to £13000.

I work in accountancy as an accounts clerk and have passed Level 1 of my ACCA, whereas she has yet to pass her exams on the lower accountancy qualification (AAT).

I was told that her salary was nothing to do with me, although I disagree. After a discussion with my partners, I was told the reason I was being paid less was that I am younger and have less "life experience", which would aid me in my job.
    However, it is quite clear that, due to my training, I am more capable of doing my job than her, and fail to see what advantage this "life experience" gives her in comlpeting accounts for small businesses.

Can anyone advise me on what to do, other than search for a job where I am actually paid what I am worth, as there is no doubt I will be doing that.

I've been there before - if there is a ceiling limit to the amount that your current employers are prepared to pay you, and you think that you are worth more then it probably is time to look for another job.

Its probably nothing personal against you - maybe you have reached the limits your current role can pay for your level of experience. If thats the case then it might not hurt to get a bit more experience elsewhere.

If you do want to stay with the company you are working for at the moment why not ask for a formal development plan - as you get more experience/increase your skill level you should be able increase your salary - up to the level the role offers (at some point we all outgrow our jobs - which you undoubtedly will if you are studying accounting qualifications).

Dont forget the additional benefit you get if you get any study fees paid/study leave - that can add up to a couple of £k a year.

As far as inflationary rises go I don't think 4% is too bad though.
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese :cool:
  • Timmne
    Timmne Posts: 2,555 Forumite
    Mate I've been there before - had an appraisal after a great (in my view!) 6 months and got no payrise - in our accountancy practice it was understood that £1000 payrise every 6 months is the "you're doing well" and £500 is "we're happy to employ you as you're cheap".

LEAVE is my advice - I was in exactly the same situation as you and they just didn't like me as much as the female competition. Now I'm earning many many more thousands in my current job than I ever would have if I'd stayed there.... I think it's fate. 6 months down the line, you could be in a new job and loving it!

Don't bother trying to argue another payrise is my other advice; things could turn nasty and it's very doubtful you'll get your way - you'll just be carefully eased out of the business if they're the stubborn type!

Good luck :D
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Oh has moved jobs loads of times because the pay just wasnt going anywhere.
    Where he works now he is lucky to earn only 500 a year less than his female collegue who would be disgusted if she knew. She is a graduate and more experienced .
  • frivolous_fay
    frivolous_fay Posts: 13,302
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Are appraisals meant to be where your wages are negotiated?

They don't work like that where I work :(
    My TV is broken! :cry:
    Edit: refunded £515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act! :j
  • Are they allowed to pay you less because you're younger? I didn't think this was allowed anymore
    A Life Less Simple - one day I'll get there
  • emsywoo123
    emsywoo123 Posts: 5,440 Forumite
    OP, you should look at the ACAS website. If, and it's a big if, you are doing the same job for less wages, it is illegal.
  • emsywoo123 wrote: »
    OP, you should look at the ACAS website. If, and it's a big if, you are doing the same job for less wages, it is illegal.

We are doing EXACTLY the same job, the only difference being that, although we are both on study packages, she is studying a lower qualification to me.

I threw the age discrimination point up (cheers Tabby), in a polite way and my boss just admitted that she gets paid more simply because she is older and must therefore have "more life experience," as if that justified the difference.

I think I have felt some repurcussions of negotiating my wage today, and am certainly going to look for a job, whilst contacting Citizens Advice Burea and looking at the ACAS website.

Thanks everyone! Don't know what i would do without you! You're all stars!
  • I have been there to. I used to be an assistant manager and found out one of the other employees was on the same wage as me, i was so angry i stormed in the office and told them if they didn't increase my pay i was walking out :D . Luckily i got the pay rise but it wasnt much more.
    Hope you can get it sorted BPD, its really unfair on you. You would think employers would treat there staff better so they are happy and enthusiastic.
  • mrging
    mrging Posts: 12 Forumite
    We are doing EXACTLY the same job, the only difference being that, although we are both on study packages, she is studying a lower qualification to me.

I threw the age discrimination point up (cheers Tabby), in a polite way and my boss just admitted that she gets paid more simply because she is older and must therefore have "more life experience," as if that justified the difference.

I think I have felt some repurcussions of negotiating my wage today, and am certainly going to look for a job, whilst contacting Citizens Advice Burea and looking at the ACAS website.

Thanks everyone! Don't know what i would do without you! You're all stars!

If your a member of a union i suggest you contact your rep and start procceedings against them OR you could take them to an employment tribunal yourself which you will win because the idiots admited it was age related.

http://www.cipd.co.uk/subjects/dvsequl/agedisc/ageandemp.htm?IsSrchRes=1

Take a look at the link above. If you need any more info let me know I will try and dig you out some case law and some forms etc.
  • robnye
    robnye Posts: 5,411
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    as several have mentioned...... i believe the best option to look elsewhere, a lot of companies now dont pay 2 people the same, due to life experience, job experience, skillsets etc (i know i have been through that loop myself)

one way of looking at it is to explore what is available and apply for some quietly, then if you are successful, go back to them and play one of against the other..... sometimes it works.... some people would do this regardless of having no intention of actually staying.........

so enjoy the remaining working weeks this year and look forward to looking in earnest in the new year
    smile --- it makes people wonder what you are up to.... ;) :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport