Employer screening

I've recently had a job come up that requires conditional screening but for that they require proof of work and benefits from the DWP and HMRC. Where would I find this?

I called my JobCentre and the lady (who wasn't my advisor) said I had to call 08001690310 to get it from there. Just got off the phone and they are posting this to me.

The lady I spoke to at the jobcentre also said a P45 and P60 is what I need from HMRC and that I should have records of these. I have no idea what these are or if I have ever gotten one. The only tax records I recall are rebates from HMRC, and I've gotten loads of them. My mother says these are something different. I imagine the employer want s a list of employers.

I asked on the number she gave me and the guy said they have basic access to tax records and he can't see anything on there which would help my case but gave me a general number to HMRC. There were lots of periods (more than I thought) which I wasn't claiming any benefits due to illness or whatever and wasn't working which adds to the problem.

The employer asked for a: "Tax report evidences employment and benefit claims". How would I get one of these as I can't find anything on Google.

[Feel free to move if in wrong place]

Comments

• t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Call the tax office. 0300 200 3300. They'll send you a tax statement.
  • snae
    snae Posts: 60 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Any idea how long this will take to arrive?
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    A P45 is the document that an employer gives you when you leave a job, you should then give part of it to your next employer (or the DWP if claiming certain benefits) and retain a part yourself.

A P60 is a record of taxable pay and tax/NI paid during the previous tax year and is issued to you by the end of May by whoever employed you at the end of the tax year (5th April). I'm not sure whether DWP issue one if you were on benefits at that time.

Read more here https://www.gov.uk/paye-forms-p45-p60-p11d
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    snae wrote: »
    Any idea how long this will take to arrive?

Not long. They know you need it quickly.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    agrinnall wrote: »
    A P45 is the document that an employer gives you when you leave a job, you should then give part of it to your next employer (or the DWP if claiming certain benefits) and retain a part yourself.

A P60 is a record of taxable pay and tax/NI paid during the previous tax year and is issued to you by the end of May by whoever employed you at the end of the tax year (5th April). I'm not sure whether DWP issue one if you were on benefits at that time.

Read more here https://www.gov.uk/paye-forms-p45-p60-p11d

Yes, the DWP do issue a P45 when you sign off and get a job/claim sickness benefit/whatever other reason. A P45 looks like this

If you cannot find your most recent one, your employer will issue a P46 which you and they complete and send to the tax office. This will mean you are taxed on a non-cumulative (Week 1) basis which can be resolved when you either produce your latest P45 or at the end of the tax year on 5th April next.

HTH and good luck with the new job.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Smodlet wrote: »
    Yes, the DWP do issue a P45 when you sign off and get a job/claim sickness benefit/whatever other reason.

My uncertainty was actually about whether DWP issue a P60.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure